Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

That Dr. F is saying everyone should start wearing masks when we go outside. I ordered some, so we'll see. I have been in the house so much I want to scream.

did any of you see what happened in the Ukraine airport? They had people who they wanted to test that arrived from different cities, but they all ran through the doors to their homes. What a mess! The leader of the country said they were scared and wanted to go home. With jerks like this running a country, no wonder this virus is running wild!

On a good note, Washington state hasn't had any new hospital patients this week, but I'm sure there are plenty of infected staying at home.

Dallas nursing homes have had people test positive and some deaths.

I saw a rep from Johnson and Johnson saying they are working on a vaccine and it would be ready in months? Not sure if I should believe this?

Central Park has hospital tents set up. Hasn't happened since the Civil War. We are at war for sure. Very scary times. I don't see any end in sight. I hope I'm so wrong.

Stay well out there and stay inside!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52101615

USA confirm it has more deaths than China

Yeah, because we have 50 different states doing 50 different things. This is when Trump needs to sign a Federal order for the whole country to stay inside or face fines and jail time.

Each state governor is doing what they want. Some refuse to listen and see what is happening in states right next to them. Do they think the footage from LA and NYC won't happen to them? It already has. Look at New Orleans. This virus is spreading faster than anything we've every encountered. We might all be infected by the end of this and who knows how many of us will die. We all won't be the same after this that's for sure. I don't feel normal anymore. 

the world cases are close to a million. I'm sure it'll hit that number soon. I don't think anyone is not effected by this virus. 

If the world doesn't get on the same page, this will never end.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My guess is that many people have had varying degrees of the virus without going to see the doctor.

My wife, for example, had every symptom last week outside of a fever. She didn't want to go to the doctor and she chose to ride it out. She's back to 100% now, but was never officially diagnosed..

I have two other friends who had all but one symptom over the past couple of weeks and did the same thing, so they're not reported either. 

As for me, I seem to be avoiding it so far (knocks on everything wood) so I'm hoping I stay that way. 

I've been feeling pretty crap for the last two weeks now but I've not had a cough or a fever so I've no idea what's going on.

39 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My guess is that many people have had varying degrees of the virus without going to see the doctor.

My wife, for example, had every symptom last week outside of a fever. She didn't want to go to the doctor and she chose to ride it out. She's back to 100% now, but was never officially diagnosed..

I have two other friends who had all but one symptom over the past couple of weeks and did the same thing, so they're not reported either. 

As for me, I seem to be avoiding it so far (knocks on everything wood) so I'm hoping I stay that way. 

I'm with you. I'm inside most of the time. I take vitamin c everyday. I have been for over a year now. Not sure if this works but so far I'm good. My family is good too, but who knows?

I work from home and have my daughter with me. Schools I'm sure will be closed for good very soon. WE can't send our kids to school not knowing what will happen and not with this virus still out there.

I probably would do the same thing if I feel ill. Stay in and take tylenol or advil and hope for the best. I worry about my parents becasue they are in their 60's and 70's. My mom had cancer so she worries all the time.

This sucks big time.

Stay well. Glad your family is okay.

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I've been feeling pretty crap for the last two weeks now but I've not had a cough or a fever so I've no idea what's going on.

Could be stress related. I mean who isn't stressed right now. Do you have allergies in your country? Right now in Texas is a very bad allergy season. I have had to take an allergy pill for a few days.

I find using a nasal spray a few times a day helps keep the shit out of my nose.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

No pubs; no cricket; nothing on shelves because of panic buying; stuck in a house; people walking outside with faces like smacked arses for their ''60 minutes''; ambulance and police sirens; police confiscating easter eggs; scientific twaddle on news. No disease is worth this!

Waitrose have stopped all deliveries to none vulnerable people. Shit just got real! :( 

5 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

The idea of a gun shop just scares me.

All them stupid fat people shooting each other ... And then of course the Americans  

Still bitter about 1776 huh?:P

You're probably safer in a gun shop then anywhere else in America. You have to be really fucking stupid to try and pull anything in a fucking gun shop. Like I have seen videos of people trying to rob one and they have to run out so fast:facepalm:

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

‘Gun shops are the safest place. I’ve seen people try to rob them.’

hmmmm, y’know what might be a safer place?

somewhere that people don’t try to rob.

I ain’t never seen someone try to rob a cactus. So that’s already prolly safer.

25 minutes ago, soon said:

‘Gun shops are the safest place. I’ve seen people try to rob them.’

hmmmm, y’know what might be a safer place?

somewhere that people don’t try to rob.

I ain’t never seen someone try to rob a cactus. So that’s already prolly safer.

My point still stands. People DONT try to rob them because they have guns. The keyword is try.  

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Part of me theorizes I already had it. I was ill weeks back with nearly the same symptoms listed. Could’ve been a flu of course. 

Was hit with another low-grade fever since Saturday so took most of Monday and Tuesday to rest. Now thinking it’s less likely I had COVID-19 two weeks ago and instead I’ve been dealing with an influenza-pneumonia situation. I can’t get an actual physical as my doctor is only doing video-conference appointments (have one this Friday). 

I was hoping that it was COVID-19 as it would have meant there was less to worry about once I recover. Now I am considered immune-deficient so I have to be careful about exposure to the pandemic. 

On 2020-03-29 at 9:45 PM, Dazey said:

I just came across this story online. Was mostly reported in the right wing loony media (Daily Mail, Fox News) so I checked to see if there were any more reputable sources and Newsweek is reporting it too. It's hardly conclusive evidence but it's the first time I've seen anything more than pure speculation suggesting that the death rate in China may be higher than reported.

Interesting.

I’ve always believed that China had largely been able to curtail the outbreak by mid march since they had started to shut down the added medical capacity they built to manage the outbreak. Wuhan is a city of 11-12 million so it’s difficult to say exactly how many urns a funeral home would order at one time (less than fun fact: my grandparents and uncle were in the funeral business for over 100 years; I remember they would have an urn room and they would buy 100s at a time to save on shipping costs as they operated in a region of less than 100k people).

But it is possible that the initial deaths were under-reported. WHO officials were on the ground by early January so if the outbreak hit harder in December than it’s possible the death rate is larger. By how much it’s still difficult to know with certainty to those who choose not to be cynical about everything. 

• Like 1

On 2020-03-30 at 4:05 AM, EricA said:

Same here, our government will open the shops again at first and schools later, and from an economically pov it's absolutely necessary, i know

I think you need both to open at the same time.

You can’t send people back to work if they don’t have any place to send their kids. Since sending kids to grandparents are not an option because of the risks to the grandparents, parents have few options if they have to retune to the workplace but have no one to take care of their children. 

53 minutes ago, downzy said:

I think you need both to open at the same time.

You can’t send people back to work if they don’t have any place to send their kids. Since sending kids to grandparents are not an option because of the risks to the grandparents, parents have few options if they have to retune to the workplace but have no one to take care of their children. 

Yes, that's the way it should be handled, but unfortunately our chancellor announced on monday that shops will open way before schools.

Don't know how emloyees with kids will handle it.

I at least told my team, if there is really no other option, they can bring the kids along, will be fun having 3 toddlers/children running around:lol:

Edited by EricA

https://www.msn.com/nl-be/nieuws/coronavirus/mondmasker-tegen-corona-totaal-nutteloos-of-zinvol/ar-BB11ZFDB?MSCC=1576591657&ocid=spartandhp

they're finally starting to admit it. Marc van ranst, belgium's leading virologist in this crisis, has changed his tune and now admits that wearing mouth masks is "not totally unnecessary". He continues, that outside it doesn't have much use, but it can be a barrier against the virus in places where a lot of people gather.

"a mouth mask can have its use", he continues, "provided you have some".

So why the negative advice earlier? "If we told the people to wear masks, that would be impossible because we don't have masks for everyone"

Basically, what I have been saying all along.

another doctor goes a bit further and urges everyone to wear a mouth mask:

https://www.hln.be/wetenschap-planeet/medisch/luc-beaucourt-iedereen-zou-een-mondmasker-moeten-dragen~a4f3d623/

This doctor is not government-appointed, unlike marc van ranst.

There are many types of mouth masks. Chirugical masks are used to prevent the doctor from infecting the patient. They are useless to wear as protection against covid19. But there are masks with higher protection: FFP2 masks. They offer far more protection and can effectively prevent the virus reaching your respiratory system through air. There is a huge shortage of these. I managed to buy a couple of these before all hell broke lose, and when I heard that care workers were in shortage of those, I handed over an unopened packet to my local pharmacie. She was very happy with those.

Edited by action

9 minutes ago, action said:

So why the negative advice earlier?

We have been through this so many times, but I am happy to repeat it to you once again.

The reason wearing masks is not encouraged by the WHO and others, is that the little protection it gives to most people (who are not working in close proximity to infected people) is off-set by the increased risk of getting infected due to people not putting it on correctly (so it won't stop viruses), by people touching their faces more when they wear one (to re-adjust the mask or simply because it itches and is uncomfortable), and by people not disposing it correctly or wearing it for too long.

Because of this is not recommended that people wear masks here in Norway, unless you are working with infected people or are infected yourself.

Other countries have other policies. As I talked about earlier, in South Korea people are handed our masks every week by the government. Obviously, they disagree with WHO. We should also consider that in some cultures, wearing masks are more common and people might actually know how to handle and wear them properly.

Then comes the fact that there is a shortage of masks, at least in some countries and hence they should be given to those who actually need them - health care people and those infected - and not to Average Joe who are just afraid.

Also, the main mode of transmission is not by being coughed on by other people, it is through your hands, and then to your face. Wearing a mask may offer false protection and make people lesses what is really crucial: social distancing.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1