Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

2 hours ago, action said:

all of this, does not affect me however since I've pretty much ignored the WHO anyway. their indecision at display here, shows me right

There is no indecision in acting according to whatever data is available.

Previously there has been no evidence suggesting that wearing masks will protect regular Joe's from getting infected, hence WHO has not recommended it.

If there now is evidence suggesting this is a good idea, then WHO will likely recommend it.

That's following the evidence. That's rational. It is not being indecisive as you suggest.

Unless, of course, they now recommend it despite no new evidence suggesting it makes sense. Then they are basically bowing under for pressure. That would be unfortunate. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

UK: No signs of either curve flattening out. NOT UNDER CONTROL.

I don't think things here are quite as bad as that would suggest. We didn't implement lockdown until about March 22nd so given the inherent hysteresis from infection to illness to death I'm not going to start panicking for another week or so.

Edited by Dazey

How could the United States already have passed China in fatalities where the outbreak happened?Maybe if China was more truthful many innocent people wouldn’t have died.This is some scary unprecedented times for all of us.I don’t think we can go back to some sense of “normalcy” until some sort of effective antiviral is found coupled with tests that yield immediate results (like a flu or strep swab ) in order to get this somewhat under control.Be safe fellow Gunners 

44 minutes ago, gt72 said:

How could the United States already have passed China in fatalities where the outbreak happened?Maybe if China was more truthful many innocent people wouldn’t have died.This is some scary unprecedented times for all of us.I don’t think we can go back to some sense of “normalcy” until some sort of effective antiviral is found coupled with tests that yield immediate results (like a flu or strep swab ) in order to get this somewhat under control.Be safe fellow Gunners 

America’s poor response to the outbreak isn’t China’s fault. Other nations have been able to contain outbreaks in their countries that have resulted in far fewer infections and deaths, whether in absolute or relative terms.

Yes, it’s unfortunate China did not act sooner and was not not more transparent. But it doesn’t absolve other world leaders from preparing their countries as best as they could in the 30 to 60 day head starts that many squandered. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

USA: No. of new infected: Increasing steadily (although it is stating to flatten in some states); I don't expect the number of deaths/day to start flattening ot anytime soon. NOT UNDER CONTROL.

The numbers might be misleading as different regions are going to get hit at different times. You almost have to break the US down by region to get a fair depiction of how the country is fairing. I would suspect that California, Washington and New York are going to be through this much sooner than states like Florida, Alabama, Arizona, and Arkansas. 

• Like 1

personal opinion, but I don't feel like this epidemy is going away anytime soon.

even in china, there are new infections reported every day. there is not really any country in the world that is completely "cleared" yet. How many years did the plague devastate europe before going away?

disclaimer: I have no publications to back up my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Another 7 million jobs lost in the last week in the US. That's 10 million in 2 weeks. FUCK ME!!!!! :o 

I know a LOT of people here in the US who truly don't understand the economy fallout in progress or what's still on the way. 

There are an alarming amount of people thinking that their company just has some magic unlimited well to pay them from while they sit at home. 

Things have been relatively calm here, but I'm thinking that's because ignorance is bliss. We could see some very dark times here as more and more companies start cutting people loose. 

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I know a LOT of people here in the US who truly don't understand the economy fallout in progress or what's still on the way. 

There are an alarming amount of people thinking that their company just has some magic unlimited well to pay them from while they sit at home. 

Things have been relatively calm here, but I'm thinking that's because ignorance is bliss. We could see some very dark times here as more and more companies start cutting people loose. 

This is where the US's culture of frowning upon those who rely on social safety nets might come back to bite it in the ass, as telling millions of people to "get a job" becomes untenable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Or those who believe that all these companies are going to hire back everyone who was fired. Corporate America is going to use this epidemic, rightly or wrongly, to justify cutting a lot of employees from payroll. The steep decline in unemployment isn’t going to magically snap back after the outbreak has subsided 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Or those who believe that all these companies are going to hire back everyone who was fired. Corporate America is going to use this epidemic, rightly or wrongly, to justify cutting a lot of employees from payroll. The steep decline in unemployment isn’t going to magically snap back after the outbreak has subsided 

Oh, absolutely. People here truly don't understand that concept and they're about to get slapped in the face with it. 

I was speaking with a former co worker yesterday. I mentioned that I could see this being a big opportunity for his company to thin the heard, then re-hire some former employees as they sit fit. Or, many of companies may use it as a chance to just start over from scratch. 

To say they guy I was talking to was flabbergasted would be an understatement. He called me Chicken Little and said nothing like that could or would EVER happen in the US. 

As we discussed it more, it became clear that his argument was "it just wouldn't happen" with absolutely no rhyme, reason or rational thought to back him up. 

In short, a LOT of people in the US are in for a huge shock. 

Many of our govs are now in the stimulus business. Workers are out of work.

We need to demand that the stimulus be used to create and bolster the green sector, providing new jobs for the future instead of bailing out fossil fuel execs from the past. And demand training and job preps for our new jobs, instead of demanding diminishing stop gaps to try and hold on to the old jobs. We get the opportunity to solve two crisis!! :headbang:

27 minutes ago, action said:

personal opinion, but I don't feel like this epidemy is going away anytime soon.

even in china, there are new infections reported every day. there is not really any country in the world that is completely "cleared" yet. How many years did the plague devastate europe before going away?

But you are right. There is no reason it will go away anytime soon. HIV isn't going away. Influenza viruses aren't going away. Ebola isn't going away. 

The only way we can eradicate a virus is to deprive it of new hosts, either by mass vaccination (successfully achieved for such viruses as those causing smallpox, a disease now extinct), or by managing 100 % efficient social distancing resulting in the virus not being able to infect new hosts before they are fought down by the immune systems in current hosts. 

Whether we can eradicate SARS-CoV-2 through mass vaccinations is entirely unclear at the moment, but likely it mutates too quickly meaning it will become a fixed companion to the human species, like cold viruses and herpes. Take some solace in the fact that it will likely kill less in the future as we have developed partial immunity to new mutated versions. 

How many years did the plague devastate europe before going away?

The plague never really went away. The plague (the Black One) was caused by a bacterium called Yersenia pestis. A fascinating little creature. What happened was that this little bugger traveled around the world killing off tremendous swathes of humans. Those who survived did so because they were stronger at fighting the bacterium. And through the fight they conditioned their adaptive immune systems to recognize the pathogen. Evolution and herd immunity. But the bacterium didn't go away. It just couldn't cause huge pandemics anymore because the remaining people were too strong. Gradually we lost our strength but we developed another hugely efficient weapon against Y. pestis, and other bacteria: Antibiotics. Drugs that fuck them up. So even if almost no humans today have immune systems prepared for Y. pestis, the agent if the Black Plague, and even if we are kind of weak, we will likely never have to die en masse due to this particular disease again (unless it mutates to develop resistancy to antibiotics). That being said, every year people die from this bacterium, usually in rural areas where they can't get to doctors (and antibiotics quickly enough). 

Sidenote: Some might wonder why we can't use antibiotics against viruses? Well we can, and they are called antiviral drugs, but they are not so common though. The reason for that is that antibiotics tend to mess up vital chemical pathways in the targeted pathogen, like making ribosomes inert or disrupting DNA replucation. But viruses don't really have any such reactions that can be targeted. Viruses are basically just DNA (or RNA) protected by a shell of proteins. We can fuck up this shell, with alcohol or soap, but that's about it. And when the virus tries to to take over our cells we might have drugs interfering with that but that's about it. A virus is as simple as it gets, too simple to provide many means of attack. They aren't even considered living organisms, just selfish genes taking over other cells to copy themselves. Rogue genes. 

EDIT: My 20,000th post. 

Edited by SoulMonster

Consider that the Plague of Athens was 430 BC and that the Great Plague of Marseille and Great Plague of Eastern Europe were 1720 and 1738 respectively!

Guns are fucking expensive too! What a waste of investment at this difficult financial time. And whats it for - in theory its to defend your shit. May as well go out and buy a bunch of food and coats to give up to any potential robbers. :shrugs: It'd be cheaper and that way you dont have to kill a desperate human being. As a bonus, crates of mac and cheese dont accidentally shoot yourself in the face. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soon said:

Guns are fucking expensive too! What a waste of investment at this difficult financial time. And whats it for - in theory its to defend your shit. May as well go out and buy a bunch of food and coats to give up to any potential robbers. :shrugs: It'd be cheaper and that way you dont have to kill a desperate human being. As a bonus, crates of mac and cheese dont accidentally shoot yourself in the face. 

Firearms are excellent investments, even if purely for a financial reasons. Gun parts too, if one knows the market.

Guns don't accidentally shoot people either, provided they are following the basic rules to firearms safety. 

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Firearms are excellent investments, even if purely for a financial reasons. Gun parts too, if one knows the market.

Guns don't accidentally shoot people either, provided they are following the basic rules to firearms safety. 

Thanks, I never heard those lame ass arguments before. :jerkoff:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Because China quickly implemented restrictions that can best be described as draconian, whereas the US about three years ago implemented Donald Trump which can best be described as moronic.

Apparently in China not only were you not allowed out you are only allowed to open your front door a maximum of 3 times a day.

Put the bins out, get your delivered shopping off the kerb and let the cat in. That's it then your in for the next 24 hours when you can do it all over again. 

The reality is people wouldn't stand for that here. It wouldn't be adhered to which is obviously reckless but also true. I get the feeling people would genuinely prefer to die than have that level of controle exerted over them.