Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

7 minutes ago, action said:

why does the plague look like a little old woman carrying grass?

I believe its a broom. Uhm, I don't know. I think the rake and broom is connected to Death and how it picks out those to die. Sort of raking over the land, decimating the people. As for why it is represented as an old croon. I don't know. I would suppose there is a good answer to this, and I got the urge to google 'plague's representation in arts', but I don't have the time now.

Edited by SoulMonster

Curiosity got the better of me. According to old Norwegian mythology, "Pesta" was the personification of the black plague and other terrible diseases. She was a sickness demon usually taking the form of an old, grey, woman, usually carrying a rake and a broom and dressed in red or dark blue. If she came to a farm and used the broom, all would die, but if she used the rake, some would survive. There would be local variations, some places she took the shape of a cat, or a rat, or a man and a woman, travelling from farm to far.

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Curiosity got the better of me. According to old Norwegian mythology, "Pesta" was the personification of the black plague and other terrible diseases. She was a sickness demon usually taking the form of an old, grey, woman, usually carrying a rake and a broom and dressed in red or dark blue. If she came to a farm and used the broom, all would die, but if she used the rake, some would survive. There would be local variations, some places she took the shape of a cat, or a rat, or a man and a woman, travelling from farm to far.

You can kick the fuck out of her in The Witcher 3. :lol: Haha! Fuck you AIDS lady! :lol:

https://screenrant.com/witcher-3-how-to-beat-pesta-towerful-of-mice-quest/

Edited by Dazey
  • GNFNR 1

15 hours ago, soon said:

A women wearing a mask and gloves just walked into me as I distanced by walking onto the middle of the road to avoid her. She had to do a 90 degree turn and rush to make this happen. But her car was nearby so just 'fuck me' I guess. WTF is that?!?! When I flipped her off she looked deeply offended, too. :facepalm::lol:

But straight couples with young children are the worst for feeling entitled to not do their 50/50 part in distancing. Im gonna start carrying a hockey stick and next family that walks directly at me, Dads getting a tap in the five-hole... like from a safe distance. :headbang::lol:

She fancies you.

A 12 year old girl died. She was perfectly healthy before she got covid. She had a fever for 3 days, then it suddenly deteriorated.

Just goes to show it can get anyone, even if this is an exception. I hope all those assholes still ignoring the rules and gathering in parks and on the streets wake up and stay in.

There's lots of reports of assholes spitting or coughing at police now too. Seriously, throw them in jail and throw away the key. Apparently that's not allowed. They get a 2400 EUR fine though and face jail time too. I guess that's something.

Just now, Lio said:

There's lots of reports of assholes spitting or coughing at police now too. Seriously, throw them in jail and throw away the key. Apparently that's not allowed. They get a 2400 EUR fine though and face jail time too. I guess that's something.

We have the same thing in Norway. Drunk or mentally unstable people will act that way. It's just a side-effect of all the attention the pandemic is getting in the newspapers.

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Look at how your gut provides the perfect seat for your daughter to sit on. :lol:

That gut will keep me going for the duration of the zombie apocalypse! :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

17 minutes ago, Dazey said:

That gut will keep me going for the duration of the zombie apocalypse! :lol: 

Good thing this zompoc just calls for one to sit at home. If there were running involved that would be a different story... :lol:

42 minutes ago, Lio said:

A 12 year old girl died. She was perfectly healthy before she got covid. She had a fever for 3 days, then it suddenly deteriorated.

Just goes to show it can get anyone, even if this is an exception. I hope all those assholes still ignoring the rules and gathering in parks and on the streets wake up and stay in.

I'd like to read more about the 12 year old girl, God bless her soul. Where did you hear about it?

11 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

I'd like to read more about the 12 year old girl, God bless her soul. Where did you hear about it?

She died here in Belgium, Ghent, so it's on the news here. There's not really know more than what I already mentioned. She just went to school until March 13, like everyone here. I'm guessing she got sick some time last week, as they say she had a fever for three days, and then it suddenly deteriorated, and she died yesterday. It isn't know yet how or why she deteriorated.

A 30 year old healthy woman died here last week too. She was gone in a few days. Apparently the virus got to her heart and that's why she died. Maybe it's the same thing with this little girl?

The experts at the daily press conference were visibly shaken by this death.

English article about it on a Flemish site:

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2020/03/31/a-further-98-people-including-a-12-year-old-girl-die-of-covid-1/

Edited by Lio
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

In Norway, only 5 % of those tested with symptoms actually had covid-19. The rest had other illnesses. What you describe could be so many other respiratory illnesses. Hoping you had it, though! And hopefully soon you can get tested to see if you've had it, so you and your family can return to normal.

The question is, whether they test people for covid if they have a positive results for, let's say, flu. I think it's extremely optimistic to assume that there cannot be any co-infections. If your immune system is fighting flu virus and you come into contact with another pathogen (covid for example) you're plrobably more likely to contract that one as well. Here's some results showing that:

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/03/covid-19-can-coexist-with-other-respiratory-viruses.html

Edit: otherwise, the best way to fight covid would be to infect everyone with the common cold virus!

Edited by bikka
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, soon said:

Good thing this zompoc just calls for one to sit at home. If there were running involved that would be a different story... :lol:

I'm basically just an apocalypse camel packing heat. :lol: 

• Haha 1

We are looking at opening schools after Easter. Analysis of infections in Norway suggests that only 4 our of 410 infection events were from children to others. Since children generally have less symptoms, this isn't very surprising. So maybe we can open schools and still keep the virus R-value low. We'll see.

No pubs; no cricket; nothing on shelves because of panic buying; stuck in a house; people walking outside with faces like smacked arses for their ''60 minutes''; ambulance and police sirens; police confiscating easter eggs; scientific twaddle on news. No disease is worth this!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My guess is that many people have had varying degrees of the virus without going to see the doctor.

My wife, for example, had every symptom last week outside of a fever. She didn't want to go to the doctor and she chose to ride it out. She's back to 100% now, but was never officially diagnosed..

I have two other friends who had all but one symptom over the past couple of weeks and did the same thing, so they're not reported either. 

As for me, I seem to be avoiding it so far (knocks on everything wood) so I'm hoping I stay that way. 

• Like 1