Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

17 year old kid dies from coronavirus in California after being denied treatment because he had no insurance. :( 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-teenager-death-california-health-insurance-care-emergency-room-covid-19-a9429946.html

Tragic, however it wasnt due to Coronavirus- that was buried at the bottom of the article. 

"However, Los Angeles’ County Department of Public Health later said the teen’s death was taken off a list of deaths associated with Covid-19 in the area. The department said the CDC would complete an investigation into the teen’s death."

Edited by Coma16

2 hours ago, Coma16 said:

This is assuming people will have jobs to do these virtual meetings. We're all in for tough times ahead unfortunately...

Yes, these are incredibly tough times for sure. Lots of uncertainly and suffering.

Imho it's worth noting that you and are are very privileged to live in Canada, who is able to throw around 100 Billion at workers, families, health care and businesses so far. Other countries are in a far worse position. Many jobs here will be secured for some time to come with the gov offering 75% wage subsidies - and with more employment related reliefs expected to keep coming. But there is struggle everywhere none-the-less. And yes many of our jobs depend on other Countries economies of course. There will be a further increase in unemployment. 

And yet, just like The New Deal followed the Great Depression, there are chances for transformational change for the better following this crisis'. Capitalism is designed to see the opportunities in crisis. And the opportunity afforded by crisis can be a good thing.

The world economy needs to go green. And that takes government stimulus. It will require an available workforce, too. This COVID -19 crisis seems to be providing an available workforce, as you rightly point out. We are also seeing government stimulus. It may just be that its Disaster Capitalism* to the rescue, by seizing the opportunity to solve unemployment by also solving the climate crisis with a green-jobs initiative.

A brief bit on the opportunity for transformational change from our fellow Canuck, Naomi Klein,

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/disaster-capitalism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shock_Doctrine

Edited by soon

2 hours ago, soon said:

I wonder if and how this shutdown might have a positive impact on the environment?

Around the world there a far fewer vehicles on the road then before the crisis. There are less flights in the air. Many businesses are closed down or slowed down in operations (which in theory reduces associated pollution and waste, beyond travel).

At the same time, some industry is now working overtime to bring us the goods (paper products manufacturing, medical supply, sanitizer production [from breweries and distilleries!], etc). Also, some shipping firms are working over time. I suspect that there is still a net reduction in carbon spending, though.

If there is indeed a overall reduction in pollution, I wonder if this temporarily scaled back pollution/carbon foot print will have any significant impact on any related environmental metrics? Is there any noticeable impacts already? What would the impact be if this shut down last a long time, and with future shutdowns being a possibility? 

Metrics such as air quality in the cities all the way to the far, far less likely extreme of slowing/pausing the progression of climate change itself?

You're absolutely correct, I saw a piece on the news and they stated that pollution levels have decreased markedly since suppression began.

• Like 1

Trump confirms he may place NYC & NJ in total quartine the Gov of NY says hes doesnt even know what means & how would it be even possible 

Italy has just  confirmed over 10,000  deaths in total 

Edited by Gavin82

2 hours ago, soon said:

About leisure travel... :facepalm:. A goal I have is to never be surprised by people's decisions or the the human condition. But still, sometimes Im surprised. I wish them all the best. 

Why? Do you suggest that all travel is banned until all eternity?

Saw a drone pic of Las Vegas. It's like a ghost town.

New Orleans has the highest rate of the virus and 40% people died yesterday. 

I honestly don't see any end to this at all.

The news reported that they found the Chinese man who was selling shrimp in an outdoor market. They said he's the one who started the virus. I don't know how important this is now since it spread throughout China and the rest of the world.

I'm just so depressed over all of this. I know you guys feel the same way. There is just more and more bad news everyday. 

Stay well.

50 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

Trump confirms he may place NYC & NJ in total quartine the Gov of NY says hes doesnt even know what means & how would it be even possible 

Italy has just  confirmed over 10,000  deaths in total 

My God! No end in sight. The authorities keep saying when we hit the peak. What does that even mean? I don't see an end in sight. Everyday it gets worse and worse and I honestly don't see how America let alone any other country can come back from this. All our economies will be fucked. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole world goes into a depression again. This is worse than the depression in the 1930's. We didn't have a virus to contend with as they waited on line for food and gas.

Today is a bad day for me. Sorry to be so down, but I just don't see any hope at the end of all this shit.

56 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Love Dean Koontz. My mom has read him since the 80's. He's a genius, but what I love about him is that he always finds away to have hope at the end of his books.

Plus he loves animals. 

9 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

So what is wrong with booking for the end of the year. Either things are somewhat back to normal and you got cheap travel or it's the same shitshow and things get cancelled.

I simply said I was "surprised" that people would be making that choice/priority right now. So Im a little bit at a loss as to why you first thought that was me calling for an end to traveling (lol) and now have further issues with my comment. But okay...

The possibilities you laid out are not the only possibilities. There is more than a little talk of possibly another outbreak in fall, should we get this one under control, for instance. But also, to part with cash at this moment in history for a trip that likely will not take place is also at odds with what I find to be prudent. Therefore I personally find it "surprising." The conversation I was having was in reference to people having been stranded and the potential impact that has on consumer choices, dont forget. Peace :) 

22 minutes ago, soon said:

I simply said I was "surprised" that people would be making that choice/priority right now. So Im a little bit at a loss as to why you first thought that was me calling for an end to traveling (lol) and now have further issues with my comment. But okay...

The possibilities you laid out are not the only possibilities. There is more than a little talk of possibly another outbreak in fall, should we get this one under control, for instance. But also, to part with cash at this moment in history for a trip that likely will not take place is also at odds with what I find to be prudent. Therefore I personally find it "surprising." The conversation I was having was in reference to people having been stranded and the potential impact that has on consumer choices, dont forget. Peace :) 

And I'm surprised why one would take issue with making plans. Isn't it the best Thing right now to look forward to a time when things will be better? Think positive and don't lose all hope. I'm also looking forward to travelling again. And like I said, if there is another outbreak/shitshow in the fall, things will get cancelled anway and you get your money back (unless they have changed the fine print for travel that is booked right now). And well, some people simply do have some savings, so they can spend money for some travel at the end of the year.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

And I'm surprised why one would take issue with making plans. Isn't it the best Thing right now to look forward to a time when things will be better? Think positive and don't lose all hope. I'm also looking forward to travelling again. And like I said, if there is another outbreak/shitshow in the fall, things will get cancelled anway and you get your money back (unless they have changed the fine print for travel that is booked right now). And well, some people simply do have some savings, so they can spend money for some travel at the end of the year.

... You do you :shrugs:

Well it is shitty situation and I actualy dont know if this is delibrate or accident but I hope that all of you in this community are ok, stil with money income and if you need some help just let us/me know without hesitation. ( btw we had earthquakes last sunday so as joke said if we can deinstalate 2020 and instalate new this one have virus)

35 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

How exactly would a quarantine of NJ and NY work? Would be people still be allowed to travel between the two states, and just not to and from any other state?

And when Trump says NY does he mean just NYC, or the entire state?

Considering the idea only popped into Trump's head about half a second before he revealed it to the reporter I'm going to go out on a limb and say that nobody knows how it would work.

Andrew Cuomo was interviewed earlier today and said he'd just spoken to Trump who didn't mention anything about this to him.

Just now, Dazey said:

Considering the idea only popped into Trump's head about half a second before he revealed it to the reporter I'm going to go out on a limb and say that nobody knows how it would work.

Andrew Cuomo was interviewed earlier today and said he'd just spoken to Trump who didn't mention anything about this to him.

Seriously, how has he not been thrown out of the White House yet?

It seems like at least a few presidents are complete and utter morons and a danger to their country. You have Trump, and then Bolsonaro, who said the virus couldn't touch him because he was a great athlete, and the president of Belarus who said the virus wouldn't touch them, and to just drink vodka and go to saunas to beat it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1