Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

Just now, Lio said:

Seriously, how has he not been thrown out of the White House yet?

Because a lot of equally stupid people voted for him and a lot of senators represent states with a lot of stupid people who voted for him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My God! No end in sight. The authorities keep saying when we hit the peak. What does that even mean? I don't see an end in sight.

What is it with the hysteria? 

Look, the peak is when the number of new cases per day is at its highest. Then it starts dropping. This happens when people stop interacting with each other, when people develop herd immunity, or when we can roll out vaccines. I don't know which will come first, but we will get there. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lio said:

Seriously, how has he not been thrown out of the White House yet?

It seems like at least a few presidents are complete and utter morons and a danger to their country. You have Trump, and then Bolsonaro, who said the virus couldn't touch him because he was a great athlete, and the president of Belarus who said the virus wouldn't touch them, and to just drink vodka and go to saunas to beat it.

Throw in the British guy as well. He though singing Happy Birthday could save him...

• Like 1

I'm not depressed either. I don't want to downplay it, I feel sorry for everyone who is suffering from it, but for me personally not much has changed. Someone posted a clip on here the other day with Italians saying ''this will be you in ten days'' about being stuck at home in a lockdown. Well, not quite, we don't have a lockdown and I still have to get up every day to go to the office. I'm kinda wishing my company would close because I would love to stay inside and play guitar and read books all day, but this virus isn't going to blow over, having everyone in quarantine will just postpone it. At least that's what a lot of the experts say.

I'm not worried at all about getting the virus because the chances of getting hospitalized are extremely small. I would be worried about infecting others obviously, but they say 60% of the people will get it, then I better get it as quickly as possible and become immune so I won't have to worry about infecting others anymore. The only thing I'm really concerned about is that my parents are in their 70s and do still go out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 31illusions said:

24,000 - 62,000 people died from the flu in America according to the CDC.

2,000 deaths due to Covid-19.

Be more afraid of the flu.

America isn’t even through the first half of the first quarter.

We’ll likely see thousands dying on a daily basis in a couple of weeks. 

San Francisco has been on two weeks of lock down.  They can't say social distancing is working.  They haven't had the virus running rampant but acknowledge it sometimes comes out of nowhere.  They are optimistic it is working but afraid they could get hammered on too.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Coronavirus-slowing-in-Bay-Area-Experts-track-15164179.php

Edited by cineater

6 hours ago, 31illusions said:

This is pretty much what I said about two months ago :lol:

Then of course it has turned out that the outbreak in China would turn into a pandemic and that the fatality rates are much higher than for the flu.

9 hours ago, 31illusions said:

The only way the true impact will be seen is when we compare this years mortality statistics to last year. The UK government scientist chap said that a lot of the people dying probably would have died this year anyway. In Italy, I think 1700 people a day die anyway, so there's probably a spike just now but it could balance out as the year goes on.

17 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

No, I am not depressed at all. I am slightly concerned for my parents and quite bored with staying at home. But not depressed. 

And it will be over. It is not like I am being sent to war or anything. I have to endure being at home with my family and Netflix. If this is the most challenging my generation will have to go through, I think we should count ourselves fortunate. 

I don’t give a fuck to be honest.  I mean obviously I don’t want no one to die or myself and obviously we should do what we can with the washing of our hands and such but other than that fuck it, if its on the cards its on the cards innit, statistically unlikely if you’re the average aged reasonably healthy person you’ll be alright.

But its never no good shitting yourself, even if you get a fuckin’ advanced cancer diagnosis.  Easy for me to say I suppose.

Edited by Len Cnut

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Someone at the University of the Highlands and Islands has created this page for tracking coronavirus cases in Scotland. It provides totals for tests, confirmed infections and deaths, graphs of trends and a breakdown by region. It's incredible how it's grown since I started looking a week ago, there were 416 infections and 10 deaths, now there are 1,384 cases and 41 deaths. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I'm just so depressed over all of this. I know you guys feel the same way. There is just more and more bad news everyday. 

Stay well.

Thanks, you too!

It sure is a lot to take in. Lots of sad news. You've got such a big and caring heart - I bet that makes this even more difficult. 

Ive got some fresh baked bread and will make a deli sandwich with turkey cold cuts today. These little things make me happy.

I hope that today you find an abundance of peace and joy. rock4

It’s amazing to read how some federal officials are claiming that the state of New York and other states do not need the supplies they are requesting because their current capacities meet current needs.

It’s as if they don’t understand the nature of the outbreak and where those states will be in the next couple of weeks.

I’ve read some “geniuses” claim that because New York state currently has 1000 unused ventilators that it proves Trump is right to dismiss requests for additional ventilators. You have to be a special kind of stupid not to see where this is going and how likely current healthcare capacity will be overrun if supply reinforcements are not provided. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Id say that the ubiquity of the annual vaccination for the seasonal flu in fact does demonstrate a healthy fear of the flu.

The flu vaccine is covered/free in many developed nations outside the US, and still many Americans get one too. But more to the point, you seem to be working from some bad data here with regards to Covid-19. It is demonstrably deadly and dangerous. Its a pandemic.

We need to remember that Gods fingerprints are on all those more vulnerable whom we must protect. You protect all His children by taking this seriously and following precautions. Service is an act of worship.

It seems to me that its possible that the ideological lens of the news you consume stands between you and our calling?

Stay safe.

A couple of more deaths in Dallas.

So sad in New Orleans.

Seems no end in sight. I haven't watched the news today yet. Never any good news about this virus. I only go out to shop or just to get some air.

Most people in Walmart are staying 6 feet apart and the cashiers have masks and gloves. We are wearing gloves when going out to the store. I got a package from amazon today and thanked the mail person. I usually do anyway, but now I go out of my way to thank everyone who is still doing their jobs for the rest of us.

Stay well out there people. 

1 minute ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Most people in Walmart are staying 6 feet apart and the cashiers have masks and gloves. We are wearing gloves when going out to the store. I got a package from amazon today and thanked the mail person. I usually do anyway, but now I go out of my way to thank everyone who is still doing their jobs for the rest of us.

You’re better off not wearing gloves when you go out. They’re still spreading germs around if you’re touching different surfaces. The only reason people should wear gloves if they are going to throw them away after one encounter with one surface or person.

Just wash your hands as soon as you have left a store or use hand sanitizer if there is no bathroom accessible. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

We were somewhere around day 6 of lockdown, to paraphrase Dr Thompson, when the drugs began to take their toll..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7JXtdwhAkM&t=347s

Nah, it was a cracking show though weren't it? :lol: 

I'm wondering if there will ever be a drug to combat this virus? Also worried that some doctors say it could be a seasonal virus and come back every year like the flu. 

Somewhere George Carlin is laughing and saying "I told you so humans". He did a bit about HIV and AIDS and I bet if he were still alive he would have a tons to say about this virus too, which would be both funny and scary at the same time.

Please do what doctors are saying and stay in when you can. We're almost to the 200,000 mark. Before you know if we'll be at 500,000 and if we hit a million it's going to be like the black plague.

I know most people are surviving, but it's still scary shit.

My parents are over 60 and I worry every day for them.

Stay safe people please.

Just now, downzy said:

You’re better off not wearing gloves when you go out. They’re still spreading germs around if you’re touching different surfaces. The only reason people should wear gloves if they are going to throw them away after one encounter with one surface or person.

Just wash your hands as soon as you have left a store or use hand sanitizer if there is no bathroom accessible. 

Thanks yeah, I got disposable gloves. I do use hand santizer too and then wash my hands as soon as I get inside. The same after I get a package or mail.

Stay safe. and thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it.