Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

4 hours ago, Ratam said:

Today news said that an couple in India put as name they recently born twins Covid and Corona.....:D

Give it a few years and one of them will be on page three of the Sun with her norks out. Covid (19) from Delhi. :lol: 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is no such thing as a Covid-19 expert. 

I agree with you on that one. It annoys me when they say that since it's a new virus. I yell at the tv saying if you're an expert why can't you stop it or know what the fuck is going on?

My friend texted me and said NYC's cases dropped a bit. That's great news. I hope she's right.

After watching the news yesterday telling us how many more people will get the virus in the next two weeks and many more people will die, I couldn't sleep at all last night. I feel like I can jump out of my skin at any moment.

I am taking a day off of the news today. Everyone I know is well, so I'm going with that.

Stay inside and stay well guys!

7 hours ago, UcudBmine said:

What do you suggest? Sending Dustin Hoffman or Morgan Freeman in because they were in a movie about an outbreak? Or the people from Unity that are behind the "Plague Inc." game?

These appointed experts don't say what the government wants them to say. Good examples of that are Bolsonaro, Trump and Loekasjenko of Belarus. They just ignore their experts and act on what they think is right.

One news station was talking to the author of the Contagion movie. Unfortunately he didn't have any cure for this virus.  Come on! 

10 hours ago, action said:

the word "expert" has become a suspicious word to me.

most of these you hear on the news are government appointed. Appointed, to validate the government's policy. They get paid, they are in the government's service. If that expert should deviate from the line, they'll appoint another one.

the words coming out of the mouths of these experts are not science, they are politics.

The science of covid 19 is unchanging (and largely untold), politics change on an almost daily base now and they've appointed "experts" to lay these onto us, with a kind of "expert" sauce topping

Yep I agree with you. Politics is getting in the way of medical needs. This sucks. One doctor was asked about if China is spraying the air and the streets and buildings why shouldn't the rest of the world. the doctor said the virus doesn't transmit that way so it does no good. If no one knows this virus how can she be so sure. I asked a friend of my brother's who's a nurse and will leave for Cali next week. He said it is not transmitted through the air. I do believe him. The other doctors not so much.

I'm wondering if Trump can do what Rossovelt did during WWII and just stay in office until this virus is over. Can a President still do that? Anyway, we all know Eleanor his wife basically ran the country during his last years in office.

20 hours ago, Ratam said:

Marianne Faithfull is hospitalized in London with Covid.

Wow. Mick's old babe. she has to be in her 70's too. Hope she'll be okay. So sad.

21 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

Noone of them knows shit. One day could be seasonal, other day it is permanent, one day masks help, other don't...

In one country 2weeks quarantine in other 3... world is gone nuts... "experts" are leading most of us, but sute seem like noone knows what is doing...

I think all the western countries made the same mistake of thinking the virus wouldn´t spread outside China and didn´t take any measures to prevent. They didn´t take it seriously and tried to convince people saying it was like a regular flu which was a lie. Then they reacted too late and we are now suffering the consequences. Here in Spain the situation is pretty bad and they are extending the quarantine every two weeks but most people know deep inside that this won´t end at least untill May/June. It´s a disaster. So many lives lost and the economy is ruined.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I agree with you on that one. It annoys me when they say that since it's a new virus. I yell at the tv saying if you're an expert why can't you stop it or know what the fuck is going on?

My friend texted me and said NYC's cases dropped a bit. That's great news. I hope she's right.

After watching the news yesterday telling us how many more people will get the virus in the next two weeks and many more people will die, I couldn't sleep at all last night. I feel like I can jump out of my skin at any moment.

I am taking a day off of the news today. Everyone I know is well, so I'm going with that.

Why get so worked up about that shit? There is nothing you can do anyway. Worrying and getting upset won't change a thing. Whatever happens happens. Keep calm, think positive and ride it out. If it gets bad, it gets bad without you worrying and getting worked up and you've wasted the last time you could feel somewhat good. If it doesn't get all that bad, then all the worrying and getting worked up about it, was all for nothing and just made your time miserable.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I can see your struggling with this mate. But just be sensible and if you do your bit to keep to yourself follow your instincts which seem to be vigilant. You can't do more than that so fuck it you'll be fine. 

If I were you I'd take a break from.the news as sometimes pouring over every morbid statistic when you have no controle over it can be frustrating and bad for your mind.

Control what you can. Stay home, do fuck all for the next month or two and let's just see what happens.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I agree with you on that one. It annoys me when they say that since it's a new virus. 

Are anyone saying they are experts on covid-19? I doubt it. That hubris. More likely they are experts on immunology, epidemics, virology, etc, which is all fair. 

And they can't stop this disease because we don't have medicines against it. But right now experts on viral genetics, experts on virus structure, experts on immunizations, experts on epitop generation, experts on clinical trials, experts on vaccine manufacture, experts on formulation, experts on regulation, are all working to develop vaccines against this new disease. And they will succeed. 

• Like 3

There's a lot of fear now. Over health and economy. I can't say anything against the latter, many of us are affected by job uncertainty and pressure on our financials, but I will say something about the fear of the virus itself. Recent prognoses say that 100-200k Americans will die from covid-19 in 2020. That's a terrible number. Just horrid. But should we be personally afraid? It is said that maybe 50 % would have died from other causes if it weren't for covid-19. So that leaves 50-100k extra that die this year. Every year 2.8 million people die in USA. Now it will likely be 2.8 million plus 75,000. 

My point is, if you are an American who live your life in happiness not giving a thought to the possibility of being one of the 2.80 million that die every year, why should you now be stressed out by this number having increased to 2.88 million? What difference do this very small increase to your happiness? 

I do get that you fear this disease because you are young and because young people can get struck down with severe symptoms and even death. But the majority will still be old and it is not like the big killers like heart arrests and cancers aren't killing young people, too. We are just used to living with this possibility. We are accustomed to it. So what difference does it make? 

And maybe you aren't young and healthy, but in the risk group for covid-19. Well, then it is more likely that covid-19 will be a problem. But it is still very unlikely. And the probability of you dying from many other diseases has also increased because most other diseases will also be deadlier to someone like you. So relatively speaking, the increase in likelihood of death is still as small. So again, what difference does it make? 

I am not even arguing for a stiff upper lip or stoicism here, just trying to make people react to covid-19 and how it can affect our health the same we react to all the other things that can at any given moment kill us. 

The absolute numbers of expected deaths from this disease is terrible, but it just causes a marginal increase in the likelihood of any of us dying.

So stop worrying. Nothing good comes over being stressed and afraid. In fact, it just fucks up your immune system making you more prone to diseases. And it reduces your quality of life. And it shouldn't. There is enough things that shields the beauty of life from us, let's not add one more. 

Except over the economy, perhaps. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

How does the economics of vaccines work? If one country discovers won't they just be like fuck you pay me?

Like any other medicines, developed and marketed by pharmaceutical companies. Fortunately, vaccines are usually not very expensive. Not like some cancer drugs that easily cost USD 100k per patient per year. 

But yeah, the company that markets the first efficient covid-19 vaccine will likely earn tremendous amounts of money. 

29 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Our PM has been admitted to hospital :o

I imagine that this was necessary, as his GP wouldn't want to cause any further panic if it was just for a few days feet up. I don't like the man, but he's got a baby on the way. I hope he recovers swiftly. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

If NZ can take measures like having endless surplus of N95 masks etc you'd think the USA could. It really underlines how inept and happless the Trump administration is.

The resources of USA dwarfs NZ's by many multitudes - yet they're giving nurses scarfs and bullshit. It's a fucking disgrace. Hopefully the impact isn't as bad as predicted.

Did you hear aussie found a potential path to a vaccine by using a headlice medicine which apparently kills the fuck out of covid19?

How does the economics of vaccines work? If one country discovers won't they just be like fuck you pay me?

I find reading your posts to try and get your point is a like wading through shit. 

The one above is a case in point. Two stupid questions that nobody will be able to answer and a load of inconsequential bollocks thrown in for good measure.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I imagine that this was necessary, as his GP wouldn't want to cause any further panic if it was just for a few days feet up. I don't like the man, but he's got a baby on the way. I hope he recovers swiftly. 

I hope so. I'm not his biggest fan but the last thing we need is further government chaos.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

So stop worrying. Nothing good comes over being stressed and afraid. In fact, it just fucks up your immune system making you more prone to diseases. And it reduces your quality of life. And it shouldn't. There is enough things that shields the beauty of life from us, let's not add one more. 

Yeah. Even Axl said over 30 years ago: 

And I don't worry about nothing, no
Because worrying's a waste of my fucking time

We've also been singing that a Million times. So now is the time to heed to it. ;)

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yep I agree with you. Politics is getting in the way of medical needs. This sucks. One doctor was asked about if China is spraying the air and the streets and buildings why shouldn't the rest of the world. the doctor said the virus doesn't transmit that way so it does no good. If no one knows this virus how can she be so sure. I asked a friend of my brother's who's a nurse and will leave for Cali next week. He said it is not transmitted through the air. I do believe him. The other doctors not so much.

I'm wondering if Trump can do what Rossovelt did during WWII and just stay in office until this virus is over. Can a President still do that? Anyway, we all know Eleanor his wife basically ran the country during his last years in office.

Wow. Mick's old babe. she has to be in her 70's too. Hope she'll be okay. So sad.

She think is 73 years old, but apparently accord the Billboard article she isn't  serious condition.

Copied from someone on Facebook:

Dr. Tam has absolutely no credibility left. The TV spots with her in them probably cause more harm then good. Anyone that has been following her message from the beginning would have already realized that what ever she says, the opposite will be true in a couple of weeks. In late January she said that travel bans don't work, and was calling anyone asking for one a racist. Two months later we have a travel ban. She was claiming that the risk to Canadians was low all the way up to the first week of March. We are now stuck in our homes with the majority of the Country in lock down. She continues to claim that masks are not needed, while the CDC now recommends them, and the majority of countries who are recovering claim that they have helped.

7 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Did you hear aussie found a potential path to a vaccine by using a headlice medicine which apparently kills the fuck out of covid19?

No, I haven't. I don't keep close tabs on all the work that is being done. I remember that there were 48 new vaccines in development across the world - but this was a couple of weeks ago and the number may have changed since then. And then there's a lot of effort in trying to see if existing medication could have an effect against the corona virus (SARS-CoV-2). Of course, repurposing an existing medicine might be a quicker route since you might not have to spend time and money demonstrating that it is safe.

You asked me about the economics of vaccines and I sent you a short answer some hours ago. In addition to what I wrote, there are governmental efforts in developing new vaccines. You have non-profit (?) organizations like CEPI that fund and coordinate vaccine development. This is important since we cannot expect for-profit businesses to develop vaccines and other medicines for every illness that exist. With the average cost of developing a drug exceeding USD 2.4 billion (!), pharma companies will naturally focus on diseases with many patients. Because they need to not only recuperate the money they have spent getting the drug to market, and also have a profit on top of that. So if you happen to suffer from a rare disease you might be fucked. Don't expect pharma to spend USD 2.4 billion to develop a treatment for your sorry ass. Or if you happen to belong to a specific section of the demographic of poor people, again don't expect pharma to prioritize you. That's what you get when you decide to out-source such a crucial part of society - the development of medicines and treatment - to businesses.

Fortunately, well, not really, covid-19 affects everybody - rich and poor, white and black, so pharma companies are scrambling over each other trying to be the first to get medicines to market. Even so, with all this activity and the possibility of fast-track development pathways, it will take months, maybe many, before a vaccine can be rolled out globally. Because you have to thoroughly test that it works and doesn't cause any side-effects that could harmful.