GNR Getting Ready to Play "Street of Dreams"?

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn how Robin wrote it. Heard that version a hundred times anyway. I'd like Slash to have his own approach to it. Keep some basic line but otherwise make your own impression, man.

Songs like SOD imo need to have more of the core melody of the solo intact. Don't care who plays it, certainly put their own spin and flavour but keep core as to my ears with this song it's a big part. 

Similar I guess to how a bunch of other gnr songs the solos melody is such a big part of the song. 

• Like 2

Slash clearly won't play any solos note for note, not even his own stuff. But he should treat it with respect, like the Nu Guns guys did with his material. Sure, Finck was horrible at the beginning and we all had a good laugh with Ashba's Patience solo, but overall they put the work into it. 

The street of dreams solo is very well constructed, not much room for improvised noodling, imo.

Richard on the other hand is a very different kind of player, he's a hired gun thru and thru and used to playing other people's stuff note for note.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Slash clearly won't play any solos note for note, not even his own stuff. But he should treat it with respect, like the Nu Guns guys did with his material. Sure, Finck was horrible at the beginning and we all had a good laugh with Ashba's Patience solo, but overall they put the work into it. 

The street of dreams solo is very well constructed, not much room for improvised noodling, imo.

Richard on the other hand is a very different kind of player, he's a hired gun thru and thru and used to playing other people's stuff note for note.

Lold for real with the 'we all had a good laugh with Ashba's Patience solo.'

Still chuckling. Completely forgot about that. :)

• Haha 1

Curiously, what is the deal with the love for Street of Dreams? Sorry is so much better; I love its dark, anti-Narcissist approach & the lyrics are amazing. You can really dedicate the song to so many fuckheads these days who are just toxic, full of themselves & think that they are superior to the whole world, when in reality they're just worthless little faecal droplets. 

Edited by Screamin' Demon

I always felt "Street of Dreams" has the solo that would fit Slash the best. 

Back in the prime days of Axl/Slash hate, I know Axl mentioned in an interview that Slash really had not developed much as guitarist in the years since he left Guns N' Roses, and while it was a harsh thing to say, it was not untrue. His work on most of the Chinese Democracy stuff proves this in my opinion. As an upfront note, Slash is an absolute MASTER at what he does, and I do not think he means and disrespect to the songs from Chinese Democracy, but it just seems like Robin/Bucket's style is a little outside the "box" in which he typically plays, but Slash just tries to keep it in that box. Again, as a disclaimer, I think if Slash really took the effort and expanded his wheelhouse a little, he could kill those solos, but it is what it is. As much as I liked seeing "Catcher in the Rye" last year, I could not help but notice his noodling on the song just seemed aimless and inappropriate to the song. I'm not going to go so far out as to say it was DJ Ashba "Patience" solo bad or Bumblefoot shredding over "14 Years" bad, but those songs just seemed like a wasted opportunity for Slash to try something really different. 

All that being said, I did think he sounded much better on the solo for "There was a Time" from that soundcheck clip we heard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I always felt "Street of Dreams" has the solo that would fit Slash the best. 

Back in the prime days of Axl/Slash hate, I know Axl mentioned in an interview that Slash really had not developed much as guitarist in the years since he left Guns N' Roses, and while it was a harsh thing to say, it was not untrue. His work on most of the Chinese Democracy stuff proves this in my opinion. As an upfront note, Slash is an absolute MASTER at what he does, and I do not think he means and disrespect to the songs from Chinese Democracy, but it just seems like Robin/Bucket's style is a little outside the "box" in which he typically plays, but Slash just tries to keep it in that box. Again, as a disclaimer, I think if Slash really took the effort and expanded his wheelhouse a little, he could kill those solos, but it is what it is. As much as I liked seeing "Catcher in the Rye" last year, I could not help but notice his noodling on the song just seemed aimless and inappropriate to the song. I'm not going to go so far out as to say it was DJ Ashba "Patience" solo bad or Bumblefoot shredding over "14 Years" bad, but those songs just seemed like a wasted opportunity for Slash to try something really different. 

All that being said, I did think he sounded much better on the solo for "There was a Time" from that soundcheck clip we heard. 

I agree. But I get it, he's Slash. The whole world is telling him he's the ultimate guitar god for decades, he's rich, he's getting older. 

But, like you, I think he still has it in him, his approach to the Chinese stuff is just another wasted opportunity in GnR land. 

• Like 1