"Ain't Life Grand" Better Than "Chinese Democracy"?

Legendador

Is "Ain't Life Grand" the ultimate GNR album?

"It's 5 O' Clock Somewhere" mixed with "Believe in Me" and one good Axl ballad, such as This I Love would be a superb album! Maybe a post-GNR-Grunge-Generation album.

I really don't think VR's songs were as near as good as anything GNR has ever done (they are cool, but "Libertad" is watered down); CD is better if compared to them.

But "Ain't Life Grand" with Axl on vocals would be - IMO - stronger than UYI 1/21.

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sausagebrain said:

Sorry, I disagree. I found the songwriting on Ain't Life Grand to be weak, and the tunes clichéd. Axl's vocals would not have saved it. 

Chinese Democracy may have been bizarre in places, but at least Axl was trying to do something new. 

Interesting you say that, in most of non-english sponken countries, people tend to evaluate songs for a more melodic point of view, never though about it lyricwise.

I know IFOCSW has some weak lyrics like "be the ball", but I think sonically ALG yes so tight and mean and GNResque.

I really can't stand CD, I don't know why, but to me the record didn't aged well.

5 hours ago, Legendador said:

Interesting you say that, in most of non-english sponken countries, people tend to evaluate songs for a more melodic point of view, never though about it lyricwise.

I know IFOCSW has some weak lyrics like "be the ball", but I think sonically ALG yes so tight and mean and GNResque.

I really can't stand CD, I don't know why, but to me the record didn't aged well.

To me both Snakepit records as they are are better than Chinese without a doubt. But I see the potential how great they could have been.

I mean, all you've got from the GNR mixture is Slash and they're still awesome, but add Axl's and Izzy's input to them and I'm sure these records would sound totally different but were even better than they are. Better lyrics, stronger songwriting for both, vocal wise and instrumentally... with songs, even more well structured but still with all of Slash’s cool stuff like the riffing, the solos, and cool breakdowns. Mixed with dome Axl ballads and some cool Izzy stuff.

To me these records are one of the best records of their decade but they could have been one the best ever even in the general public.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Free Bird said:

To me both Snakepit records as they are are better than Chinese without a doubt. But I see the potential how great they could have been.

I mean, all you've got from the GNR mixture is Slash and they're still awesome, but add Axl's and Izzy's input to them and I'm sure these records would sound totally different but were even better than they are. Better lyrics, stronger songwriting for both, vocal wise and instrumentally... with songs, even more well structured but still with all of Slash’s cool stuff like the riffing, the solos, and cool breakdowns. Mixed with dome Axl ballads and some cool Izzy stuff.

To me these records are one of the best records of their decade but they could have been one the best ever even in the general public.

That's what I'm talking about!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/13/2022 at 12:11 AM, Free Bird said:

Hit the nail on the head. It's so crazy to me that people try to say Izzy was the secret to GNR's songs. Slash has the brilliant riffs that no one else on earth could write. Axl is the 2nd biggest contributor IMO with his lyrics, vocal melodies and piano riffs that rival Slash's riffs in quality, but sadly not quantity. After that is a steep drop off. Izzy's solo work is completely unremarkable in terms of songwriting. Just basic chord structures that have been done a million times. He's got credit on a few good GNR songs, but that's it. And so do a lot of people, like West Arkeen. Where are the "tRuE fAnS" saying West Arkeen is the secret backbone of GNR and they would have been failures without him?

Anyway, I digress. They're already excellent albums. With Guns, they could have been world-beaters.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Hit the nail on the head. It's so crazy to me that people try to say Izzy was the secret to GNR's songs. Slash has the brilliant riffs that no one else on earth could write. Axl is the 2nd biggest contributor IMO with his lyrics, vocal melodies and piano riffs that rival Slash's riffs in quality, but sadly not quantity. After that is a steep drop off. Izzy's solo work is completely unremarkable in terms of songwriting. Just basic chord structures that have been done a million times. He's got credit on a few good GNR songs, but that's it. And so do a lot of people, like West Arkeen. Where are the "tRuE fAnS" saying West Arkeen is the secret backbone of GNR and they would have been failures without him?

Anyway, I digress. They're already excellent albums. With Guns, they could have been world-beaters.

I think it's exactly that mix between those three. It's pretty obvious when listening to SMKC. Just imagine some Izzy chord structure underneath the songs. Even if they are basics they elevate the songs and they give them the missing depth. With Axl on top of it, it could be a completely different animal (an Axl who has something to say at least).

Edited by Free Bird

22 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

amen. I never found Izzy’s solo stuff to sound like GNR either 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Best work he has done outside of GNR, with at least 2 songs that started life as songs intended for gnr, as an album I prefer Chinese, but Chinese could have benefited a lot from Life's Sweet Drug or Landslide. Speed Parade & Ain't Life Grand were the one's meant for GNR originally though. Also like the Japanese bonus tracks

• Like 1

both Snakepit albums don't work for me at all as full albums. Slash's playing is great in both, I just don't feel a connection with the music for some reason. I think it's the singers, the lyrics, and the vibe I get listening to it like it's just an excuse for Slash for playing. the songs seems to be an afterthought. 

I do believe that some of it had a lot of potential but it just feels too musturbatory for me to enjoy it. Chinese on the other hand, feels like it has a rigid direction, like the song is always king, without much space for the material to breath.

Slash can come up with great riffs and full instrumental compositions by himself. Axl knows how to put shit together in a unique way that give the material weight, but he needs other people to come up with the shit a lot of the time, especially if its guitar oriented. 

Edited by Rovim

• 2 weeks later...

Lol no.

There are a lot of songs I love on that album but fuck if it isn't super cheesy.  The intro to mean bone, the race car noises in speed parade, the lyrics to alien.  What a fucking corny album. It sounded dated when it released and it sounds even more dated now lol

Love he title track and serial killer though. Two of slashes best works.

I prefer rod Jackson over Dover.  And I think all and all it's a good album.  But I don't think it holds up super well.

I went to a record shop in Philadelphia when I was young and they were giving away this giant promo cardboard stand for the album. It was seriously as tall as me and as wide as my arms could reach but I took it anyway and hung it on my wall. I had an hour train ride with that thing lol.  It's just the album cover and the release date, which was actually my 17th birthday!  

What a terrible cover too. I can't remember who is between rod and slash but I just remember his face was super wide and mushed together.  It looked like slash and rod were fish waiting for food lmao 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Okay so Snakepit (both albums) are my favourite work from Slash outside of his GN'R output.

That being said some of the songs on Chinese Democracy are amongst my absolute favourite from GN'R as a whole.

So for me I wouldn't rank them above GN'R material - but after GN'R stuff they do rank very highly for me.

Tbh I'd love to see a Snakepite reunion. That would be so high on my 'to see' list.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say better than Chinese but certainly not far behind it. What a record Ain't Life Grand is! Far superior to It's Five O'Clock Somewhere for me. I go back and forth whether Contraband or Ain't Life Grand is the best Slash's post GN'R album. I'd lean towards Contraband bacause I absolutely love Scott Weiland but man Rod Jackson was the shit. I wish they had done more together.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 8:59 AM, Sisyphus said:

I wouldn't say better than Chinese but certainly not far behind it. What a record Ain't Life Grand is! Far superior to It's Five O'Clock Somewhere for me. I go back and forth whether Contraband or Ain't Life Grand is the best Slash's post GN'R album. I'd lean towards Contraband bacause I absolutely love Scott Weiland but man Rod Jackson was the shit. I wish they had done more together.

Supposedly jackson was difficult to work with, according to slash.