Just Another Sunday

It's not exactly GN'R, it's one of the West Arkeen demos with Axl on it, recorded probably in 1985/86. It's most likely from the same sessions as Crash Diet, Sentimental Movie etc.

It was considered as one of the songs that would be on Use Your Illusion, but didn't make it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

I don't believe any of those old West Arkeen outtakes were ever considered GNR songs or were ever actually considered for GNR records.

The Garden, Yesterdays, Bad Obsession and I think the original version of It's So Easy are from the same session(s) though. Seems like GNR members worked on a bunch of West's songs then picked the ones they wanted to keep.

2 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

I don't believe any of those old West Arkeen outtakes were ever considered GNR songs or were ever actually considered for GNR records.

Duff had mentioned Just Another Sunday as one of the songs for UYI:

Duff: Yeah, we got a song called “Yesterdays” - a great fucking song. And, er, ‘Just Another Sunday”. Both great tunes that we wrote aeons ago... Like, “It’s So Easy" Wes and I wrote together, that’s what we did for the last record. Axl put about a quarter of the lyrics into that. But this time these songs are almost fully his, I guess, if I remember right... Maybe I wrote part of them with Wes and Axl, yeah, whatever. But, yeah, Wes is gonna be with us on this one. [Interview with Mick Wall, January 1990]

Sentimental Movie had "GN'R" next to it on the West Arkeen tape that was sold on eBay a while back, so maybe that was considered as well.

west_a10.jpg

I don't think any of the rest were considered (except, of course, the three that made UYI) - Crash Diet definitely wasn't considered a GN'R song.

• Like 3

Axl also explained the It's so easy story on that Eddie trunk radio interview in 2006, right before Baz put his foot in it and asked how West was doing.

Haven't seen that tape before although i have heard the songs off it you would expect. But did any of the other songs ever appear from it? Wonder how much better the sound may be on those songs taken from that tape than the rips of ones already out there

13 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

Axl also explained the It's so easy story on that Eddie trunk radio interview in 2006, right before Baz put his foot in it and asked how West was doing.

Haven't seen that tape before although i have heard the songs off it you would expect. But did any of the other songs ever appear from it? Wonder how much better the sound may be on those songs taken from that tape than the rips of ones already out there

No, the other songs have not circulated.

It's for my money, the worst song that has ever had the GnR name attached to it (even if it was attached incorrectly). 

It reminds me of that crap cover of 'I Got You Babe' by UB40 and Chrissie Hynde.

I remember that, sometime in the 2000s, some music magazine heard it and reported that it was a leaked demo for Chinese Democracy. 

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Duff: Yeah, we got a song called “Yesterdays” - a great fucking song. And, er, ‘Just Another Sunday”. Both great tunes that we wrote aeons ago... Like, “It’s So Easy" Wes and I wrote together, that’s what we did for the last record. Axl put about a quarter of the lyrics into that. But this time these songs are almost fully his, I guess, if I remember right... Maybe I wrote part of them with Wes and Axl, yeah, whatever. But, yeah, Wes is gonna be with us on this one. [Interview with Mick Wall, January 1990]

Sentimental Movie had "GN'R" next to it on the West Arkeen tape that was sold on eBay a while back, so maybe that was considered as well.

west_a10.jpg

I don't think any of the rest were considered (except, of course, the three that made UYI) - Crash Diet definitely wasn't considered a GN'R song.

I didn't realize it was that old, but "Make Your Play" ended up on the first Brother Cane album from 1993

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shacklermyrye said:

yeah he interrupted too much in that interview. 

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

west_a10.jpg

How much did that tape go for?

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have no idea.

Cool - crazy to think that it was up for sale so potentially anyone of us COULD have got it (maybe someone did….👀). I always found it odd that only some of the tracks got out. Like you - I’d love to know how good it sounds….particularly Crash Diet.

On looking on the web I found a link to the Canter Banter section where the tape was discussed. There was a post on there from years ago with the poster claiming there are Arkeen demos which were only to be used if Axl and Slash reconciled. I’d never heard that before.

Edited by DTJ80