Would the younger Axl have been aware of the damage he was causing due to his singing 'technique'?

19 minutes ago, GNRfanx6 said:

I'm sure he was aware of the risks. Without risks there are no rewards. I don't think he gave a shit because as he says "nice boys don't play rock n roll. I'm not a nice boy and I never was." He was living the dream. He gives it his all every single show. Rock, especially back then, was all about living in the moment and who cares what happens. Remember...He leads a reckless life ...hes reckless and feelin' no pain. You know he's got no need to control. Livin with the danger hes always on the edge now. With million dollar visions that he holds. Livin' like this never ever tore his throat apart.

That was beautifully put 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, GNRfanx6 said:

I'm sure he was aware of the risks. Without risks there are no rewards. I don't think he gave a shit because as he says "nice boys don't play rock n roll. I'm not a nice boy and I never was." He was living the dream. He gives it his all every single show. Rock, especially back then, was all about living in the moment and who cares what happens. Remember...He leads a reckless life ...hes reckless and feelin' no pain. You know he's got no need to control. Livin with the danger hes always on the edge now. With million dollar visions that he holds. Livin' like this never ever tore his throat apart.

Pretty much spot on. Probably never ever thought of living a long life in that environment never mind singing into his 60s.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 1:09 PM, DurhamGirl said:

Would the young Axl have been aware that he was damaging his voice with the technique he used to cause the 'rasp'?

I’m sure Axl had vocal coaches along the years, especially when GNR was the biggest band in the world, who likely told him if the ‘technique’ that was doing damage. 

That said, if as someone who mentioned in technical detail how the rasp was generated, then it wasn’t so much a risk as something that had a limited lifespan. 

All just an assumption, but I can’t imagine for a moment that Axl wasn’t in the picture about his longevity. I’m sure he has regrets about the 2000’s and not being to get more music made and released when (we assume) his voice was capable. 

tbf how many rock / metal singers sound good in their 60s? Passable some of them, like Bruce Dickinson (people will say he still sounds great, he doesn't, it's a real strain these days, but it's still passable) Steven Tyler etc or terrible like bon jovi, vince neil, axl rose. It's nearly impossible to song how those guys did in their prime, hence why so few people can do it. it's impossible to do that at 60 years old. Axl will never get his voice back. how it is now is the best it will ever sound because it will deteriorate year on year until he retires. 

For anyone criticising GNR/Axls vocals…..I saw footage of Ian Brown (Stone Roses) at a gig last night. WOW. 🤣

£50….just ‘sang’ over a backing tape so didn’t even bother bringing a band…..played no Stone Roses songs….horrifically off-key.

Dunno if he is struggling with stuff which would be a shame but…..wow. 😬

• Wow 1

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

For anyone criticising GNR/Axls vocals…..I saw footage of Ian Brown (Stone Roses) at a gig last night. WOW. 🤣

£50….just ‘sang’ over a backing tape so didn’t even bother bringing a band…..played no Stone Roses songs….horrifically off-key.

Dunno if he is struggling with stuff which would be a shame but…..wow. 😬

You couldn't pay me to see a fully fit, non-struggling Ian Brown. He's never been able to sing. I don't get the reverence of him.

5 hours ago, W. Axl Kev said:

You couldn't pay me to see a fully fit, non-struggling Ian Brown. He's never been able to sing. I don't get the reverence of him.

Nor me. I do quite enjoy Stone Roses but more in a general sense. I’m sure seeing them in 1990 would have been cool. 🤣

20 hours ago, Sonic Reducer said:

can you get into specifics about his technique? What did he do wrong?

Axl did mostly high pitched screeching wailing when that is NOT his natural voice. His natural voice is a deep baritone like Patience, It's So Easy, Mr Brownstone. That high pitched screeching wailing not being his natural voice did damage. 

6 hours ago, Karice said:

Axl did mostly high pitched screeching wailing when that is NOT his natural voice. His natural voice is a deep baritone like Patience, It's So Easy, Mr Brownstone. That high pitched screeching wailing not being his natural voice did damage. 

that can't be true. There are a lot of people with a wide range who sing well above the pitches they produce when speaking. Literally any male singer you can name who is famous for singing in a higher range is singing above their speaking voice.  Many women, too.

Edited by Sonic Reducer