"Ritz 91 Theatre" someone from the forum attended the show?

someone from the forum attended the show and can give us they testimony? 

thanks in adavnce from an CD era fan who does t get to see the band in his prime in the 90s

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1721-1991-05-16-the-ritz-new-york-usa#9111  a note from "Jon Pareles" who attended the show back in 91 for a magazine 

Edited by darkside259

I haven’t listened to the bootleg so I would like to know if the biggest legendary thing about the show is the quality of the filming, or if the performances were good enough to justify its status among fans. The You Could Be Mine performance was cool, but left a lot to be desired with all the mistakes 

1 hour ago, Ninjapie24 said:

I haven’t listened to the bootleg so I would like to know if the biggest legendary thing about the show is the quality of the filming, or if the performances were good enough to justify its status among fans. The You Could Be Mine performance was cool, but left a lot to be desired with all the mistakes 

It was filmed on 35mm for one, so the quality will be exceptional. Izzy still kinda cared. Axl is on fire! The show ends with Jungle. Axl’s moves are different than any part of the tour and he remains on stage longer, so you see some cool dynamics. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Debt said:

It was filmed on 35mm for one, so the quality will be exceptional. Izzy still kinda cared. Axl is on fire! The show ends with Jungle. Axl’s moves are different than any part of the tour and he remains on stage longer, so you see some cool dynamics. 

Yeah this is still the AFD-tour animal we saw at the 88 Ritz show, and in a small venue also, except Steven is not there. It all ended after the Wembley 91 show (IMO).

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • GNFNR 2

57 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Yeah this is still the AFD-tour animal we saw at the 88 Ritz show, and in a small venue also, except Steven is not there. It all ended after the Wembley 91 show (IMO).

Yeah - 1991 was mostly still ‘AFD’ vibes sans Adler. A killer attitude and they totally committed to it - Inglewood 1991 is just absolutely brilliant.

On 10/9/2022 at 4:11 PM, EvH said:

I think they're asking if someone from the forum attended the 1991 show.

I got that much yes :lol: The wording made me think he was asking from somebody who was there what we can expect performance-wise, and I was just clarifying that it's not like it's a show that nobody has ever heard if they didn't attend. 

6 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I got that much yes :lol: The wording made me think he was asking from somebody who was there what we can expect performance-wise, and I was just clarifying that it's not like it's a show that nobody has ever heard if they didn't attend. 

sorry my english is really a mess lol

Similar to this, is there anyone that was at the Vegas show or have heard stuff from that show other than the songs on Live Era? The setlist and time seems similar to the Tokyo dvd show, with hopefully better stuff than the Tokyo show, since it was probably the weakest vocally of the shows we have from that era

looking in the forum were  @Blackstar and  @SoulMonster   did this excelent work recopiling all the data you can imagine, i find this note from a magazine i think published by "Jon Pareles" about the Ritz 91:

Published: May 18, 1991

The semi-secret club date, which was once a way for the Rolling Stones, Prince or Bob Dylan to relax and play for dedicated fans, now has its own routines. When Guns 'n' Roses played at the Ritz on Thursday night, in a show announced that afternoon, the anointed rock rebels of the late 1980's brought all the show-business trappings.

A radio station promotional van was parked outside the entrance; music-business people and the press occupied the balcony seats, and on stage, the singer W. Axl Rose had his lyrics spooling by on a Teleprompter. A film crew was shooting the performance, which was a dress rehearsal (complete with costume changes) for the arena tour Guns 'n' Roses starts next week.

But when the house lights went on for applause and sing-alongs, the people crammed onto the dance floor were happy to be video-clip extras. The Los Angeles-based band was back, bare-chested and sweaty, blasting out some of the best-loved riffs and shrieks of the 1980's and finally introducing some new songs.

It was a casually paced show, with long pauses between songs and a sloppy stretch before the encores; at times, Mr. Rose conferred with other band members about what song to perform next. During the 2-hour-15-minute set, Mr. Rose wore, among other things, flowered tights, bicycle shorts, a baseball cap emblazoned N.W.A. (after the rap group), a fishnet T-shirt and even a black marabou-feather jacket. The crowd, many in leather and ripped blue jeans, roared when Mr. Rose did his snake-hipped shimmy or twirled his microphone stand overhead; at one point, it came apart and the heavy base flew across the stage, narrowly missing a crew member.

Guns 'n' Roses has been agonizing over its coming release, the band's first full-length studio recording since its debut album in 1987, "Appetite for Destruction." The music combined the rowdiness of the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin, while Mr. Rose sang about low life, sex, heroin and love; the album sold 12 million copies worldwide while the band's fights and drug problems were widely publicized, making Guns 'n' Roses rock's reigning bad boys. "G. 'n' R. Lies," primarily a compilation of archival material that was released in 1988, sold five million copies. But touring and turmoil within the band -- a new drummer, Matt Sorum (formerly of the Cult), has replaced Steven Adler -- prevented it from completing a follow-up.

From the stage, Mr. Rose announced that Guns 'n' Roses would release 30 new songs simultaneously on two separate albums. Geffen Records has the two albums, titled "Use Your Illusion" I and II, scheduled for release on July 23. "We're touring on a record that hasn't been released because when we were touring in clubs, that's how we started," the guitarist Slash said between songs. Of course, fledgling bands can't fill stadiums during the short summer concert season.

Hearing Guns 'n' Roses on stage could make fans wonder what is holding up the records. The musicians need no remedial work in the studio; Guns 'n' Roses is one of the most capable hard-rock bands now performing, with a savagely efficient rhythm section (Mr. Sorum, Duff McKagan on bass and Izzy Stradlin on rhythm guitar) and a lead guitarist, Slash, whose riffs and solos are thoroughly grounded in the blues. The band also has a gift for slow tempos; its power ballads seem inexorable rather than interminable as they build from strummed guitars to a full-band stomp.

The band's old all-guitar attack has been tempered by the addition of a keyboardist, Dizzy Reed, for the tour; he added honky-tonk or Romantic pomp as the songs required. And Mr. Rose sang in a variety of voices linked only by their deliberate harshness: a dry, nasal tone in "Mr. Brownstone," a cracked, quavery voice for Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die" and a piercing yowl to carry the endearments of "Sweet Child o' Mine."

Along with "Live and Let Die," the band also performed a second borrowed song about death, Bob Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door." The band's own new songs are still riff-rockers -- "Bad Obsession," "Right Next Door to Hell" and "You Could Be Mine," a theme song for the coming "Terminator 2 Judgment Day" -- and slow-building anthems, like "Civil War" and "Estranged," in which Mr. Rose sang about anomie with steely calm.

The crowd greeted new songs enthusiastically, but the old ones brought out a joyous frenzy. Clearly, Guns 'n' Roses can count on its fans' loyalty as long as it pounds out riffs like the one in "Welcome to the Jungle," which closed the show by turning the club floor into a slam-dancing melee.

The band returns to the New York area on June 17 at Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, L.I.  

fuente: https://www.a-4-d.com/t1721-1991-05-16-the-ritz-new-york-usa#9111

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darkside259 said:

looking in the forum were  @Blackstar and  @SoulMonster   did this excelent work recopiling all the data you can imagine, i find this note from a magazine i think published by "Jon Pareles" about the Ritz 91:

fuente: https://www.a-4-d.com/t1721-1991-05-16-the-ritz-new-york-usa#9111

Yes, it is by Jon Pareles and we have it here in our show thread together with other reviews: https://www.a-4-d.com/t1721-1991-05-16-the-ritz-new-york-usa#5715

Axl had beef with Pareles, btw, when the latter wrote a less enthusiastic review of the band's show at the Madison Square Garden in Dec '91: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4997-14-november-1991-april-1992-the-biggest-band-in-the-world#19648

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, it is by Jon Pareles and we have it here in our show thread together with other reviews: https://www.a-4-d.com/t1721-1991-05-16-the-ritz-new-york-usa#5715

Axl had beef with Pareles, btw, when the latter wrote a less enthusiastic review of the band's show at the Madison Square Garden in Dec '91: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4997-14-november-1991-april-1992-the-biggest-band-in-the-world#19648

Thanks!!! Its an amazing job what do you do there :) 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

Similar to this, is there anyone that was at the Vegas show or have heard stuff from that show other than the songs on Live Era? The setlist and time seems similar to the Tokyo dvd show, with hopefully better stuff than the Tokyo show, since it was probably the weakest vocally of the shows we have from that era

i listen two audio bootlegs a few days ago to answer the same question. 22th Jan. Minneapolis and 28th Jan. San Diego. In my opinion both sounds similare to Tokyo. But Tokyo isn't that bad, it has the best Don't Cry Performance. In 28th Jan. San Diego he seems more powerful... Las Vegas was on 25th Jan. "Yesterdays" came vocally untouched on Live Era and AMA showed a live performance clip. Axl is powerful. Hope for the best..

On 10/10/2022 at 4:18 PM, t-p-d-a said:

i think 40% of the crowd is already dead.

The majority of the crowd are in their 50's now, not at all that old. If this was in 1971 and not 1991, your 40 percent would seem more accurate. 70 something year olds vs 50 something year olds.

14 hours ago, Karice said:

The majority of the crowd are in their 50's now, not at all that old. If this was in 1971 and not 1991, your 40 percent would seem more accurate. 70 something year olds vs 50 something year olds.

Yeah Axl was 29 at the time and he just turned 60, I'd assume most of the crowd was his age or probably even less. To me it would be insane to now see unseen footage of myself in that crowd in 1991 in film quality, that's like as close to a time machine as you can get, the world was entirely different.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

18 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Yeah Axl was 29 at the time and he just turned 60, I'd assume most of the crowd was his age or probably even less. To me it would be insane to now see unseen footage of myself in that crowd in 1991 in film quality, that's like as close to a time machine as you can get, the world was entirely different.

My calculations were assuming most of the crowd were like 20. 😛 😏So they'd be like 51 now. 😛😏

Not exactly seeing yourself but a Fan of GNR on YouTube (Axl Jumps Into Crowd YouTube video) posted something like,"I saw my Parents in the crowd when Axl jumped in the crowd to confront the guy with a camera. I wasn't even born yet." 😏

Edited by Karice

56 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I remember watching some old alice cooper gig a few years back that was shot back in the day. I knew something was different about the crowd and then it struck me... No phones, people actually paying attention. must have been so much better