UYI Deluxe Live Recordings vs. Live Era Discussion Thread

After some interruptions I'm up to Paradise City.

It definitely has some minor differences in the vocals. Listen to the first "take me home" in the intro and it's completely different from the Live Era version. It seems like the Live Era version took his best/least breathy take of the chorus and pasted it to the other choruses and likewise with the best "take me home" variants.

Unreal. I always assumed Paradise City was left alone.

• Like 2

So is it safe to say that at this point, Sorta-Kinda-Somewhat-Live Era is obsolete? What's the point of it even existing now? I bought it back in 1999 when it came out, so it stays in the collection, but I can't imagine a time in the future where I play it again. It just seems so pointless and silly.

Nightrain isn't identical, musically. Listen to Slash's opening chord, it's different. He does a couple quick palm mutes on Live Era, but it's not here. 

Also, Dust N' Bones is interesting. Axl's vocals were removed from Live Era, and now they're back. 

And Paradise City was messed with. It's not new 1999 vocals like on Rocket Queen or Nightrain, but they don't match. Maybe they used some vocals verses from other versions and patched them in here. 

I know a lot of people don't like Live Era, but I do. Axl's re-dubbed vocals are awesome. Is it a legit live show? No way. But it's kind of like Axl's re-recorded AFD that never came out. I'll still listen to it :)

• Like 4

Yesterdays seems to be the East touched from Vegas, but there were a couple things I noticed listening to the Vegas version. The backup singers are actually audible to compliment Axl saying “Yesterdays”, and Axl saying it more at the end of the song as well with a slightly longer outro before it ends

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

So is it safe to say that at this point, Sorta-Kinda-Somewhat-Live Era is obsolete? What's the point of it even existing now? I bought it back in 1999 when it came out, so it stays in the collection, but I can't imagine a time in the future where I play it again. It just seems so pointless and silly.

I'd view

Live Era as the best show that never existed - making the best version of each with the elements available.  It might have a Las Vegas 92 base but it's not a historical reflection of the performance that night.

6 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

Patience Outro sounds like on Live Era. I know is listed as Mexico 1993 but it's mixed. First half is with acoustic guitars on the Skin N' Bones Tour and after the acoustic solo, it switch to the electric version with drums and Slashs black double neck guitar. That part sounds like Vegas 1992. Of course it's weird mixed

you even can play it both together... it's 1:1. 100% Las Vegas

!

Really right, Mexico is My ass

Vegas is amazing, really this guys rocks 

24 minutes ago, hollywood_democracy said:

Nightrain isn't identical, musically. Listen to Slash's opening chord, it's different. He does a couple quick palm mutes on Live Era, but it's not here. 

Also, Dust N' Bones is interesting. Axl's vocals were removed from Live Era, and now they're back. 

And Paradise City was messed with. It's not new 1999 vocals like on Rocket Queen or Nightrain, but they don't match. Maybe they used some vocals verses from other versions and patched them in here. 

I know a lot of people don't like Live Era, but I do. Axl's re-dubbed vocals are awesome. Is it a legit live show? No way. But it's kind of like Axl's re-recorded AFD that never came out. I'll still listen to it :)

Good catch on Dust N' Bones (I haven't listened to the full Ritz show yet). In years past I always assumed that Axl had left the stage or something and that's why his vocals weren't there, but it would seem that that wasn't the case at all.

Holy hell it is so cool to hear Rocket Queen with rhythm guitar! It makes it so much more full and funky, and that extended intro is cool too

I always liked Axl's 1999 era vocals, but compared to what actually occurred live that night all being there and properly mixed, there is no comparison to that IMO.  These two live shows are gonna make Live Era gather lots of dust on my shelf

• Like 1

9 hours ago, James Bond said:

Rocket Queen on Live Era is infamously missing the rhythm guitar but now we can hear it in all its glory, plus Axl's original vocals.

Slash also talks longer over the intro than what ended up on Live Era where they've cut it down.

Love what Gilby is doing during the talk box solo on Rocket Queen.. What were they thinking with that fucking Live Era version? I used to love that "performance" too. I will never intentionally listen to it again. 

6 hours ago, Nintari said:

Not as long as that version of You're Crazy is still on there. 

• Like 1

I started a previous thread in the General Section which I'm going to post here for now then go back and look to see if it has already been answered and delete it if it has...

I've been listening and comparing the tracks from the Las Vegas 1992 show included on the Use Your Illusion Super Deluxe to the Live Era '87-'93 album.

Nightrain, Welcome to the Jungle, Rocket Queen, Yesterdays and Paradise City are all supposed to be from the Vegas show on 1/25/1992 according to the Illusion and Live Era's notes. However, out of these five tracks, the ONLY one that is not a different performance is Yesterdays, the other 4 are definitely NOT from the same show so either a mistake was made on the Illusion set or the Live Era album.

As far as The Ritz, all I've found is Dust N Bones which seems identical.

After reading this thread, I guess I found the answer; Axl re-recorded vocals for the Live Era album.

I know there are tracks on the 2 separate Deluxe versions of the Illusion albums that contain live tracks not included on the Super Deluxe version.

Could one of you guys create a definitive list of all tracks that are on BOTH the Illusion Super/Deluxe sets & the Live Era album?

Thanks!

Edited by jz1276

1 hour ago, jz1276 said:

I started a previous thread in the General Section which I'm going to post here for now then go back and look to see if it has already been answered and delete it if it has...

I've been listening and comparing the tracks from the Las Vegas 1992 show included on the Use Your Illusion Super Deluxe to the Live Era '87-'93 album.

Nightrain, Welcome to the Jungle, Rocket Queen, Yesterdays and Paradise City are all supposed to be from the Vegas show on 1/25/1992 according to the Illusion and Live Era's notes. However, out of these five tracks, the ONLY one that is not a different performance is Yesterdays, the other 4 are definitely NOT from the same show so either a mistake was made on the Illusion set or the Live Era album.

As far as The Ritz, all I've found is Dust N Bones which seems identical.

After reading this thread, I guess I found the answer; Axl re-recorded vocals for the Live Era album.

I know there are tracks on the 2 separate Deluxe versions of the Illusion albums that contain live tracks not included on the Super Deluxe version.

Could one of you guys create a definitive list of all tracks that are on BOTH the Illusion Super/Deluxe sets & the Live Era album?

Thanks!

5E73FFB5-7FF5-4C13-BEAF-F2D6E810B9D4.jpeg.9d0c84e7b2a9f6e9af8a2168078d4444.jpeg2AD6277E-F11C-43BC-BAE0-A2EE85E29B9F.jpeg.e302a19a0045b08303b994170cc7064a.jpegAF939D62-1792-434A-96A4-1A72EA9CDD8D.jpeg.1457a3002b6b402c3486c7c8d3fa7adb.jpeg033AE525-3819-40BE-923E-0874A5C4D220.jpeg.22f09885c7fc2206cbd140f78813cb59.jpeg1ACA027F-B29C-4B4B-AEDF-875711F3D92C.jpeg.5d502a7a66b5106b6c8b52c2789ef9c5.jpeg

42E7F2B5-6179-4AE8-9FD0-4F2AB3760517.jpeg

Edited by quikspade
Duplicate image
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, hollywood_democracy said:

The part where Slash and Axl sing from the ritz got replaced and mixed by Wembley where Slash only sings. Go listen to Dust N' Bones Live on Wembley, you'll like it. Too bad that concert didn't get released in it's entirety tho... Lots of missed opportunities with this box set

Edited by linkthegu1
Lots

4 hours ago, jz1276 said:

you forgot Patience Outro it's on Vegas too

I gotta say, it’s a goddamn trip after all these years to hear “Rocket Queen” and “Nightrain” from Vegas unaltered because it varies so tremendously from Live Era

It’s dope we finally have both. Also funny because now it’s readily available and obvious (at least on Spotify) for people to directly compare Live Era to the UYI box set concerts. Live Era was more like Lies anyway with how doctored it was. I’m sure people will have “wait a minute” type moments, like, “how are these listed as the same date and show.” lol

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 7:57 PM, James Bond said:

Good catch on Dust N' Bones (I haven't listened to the full Ritz show yet). In years past I always assumed that Axl had left the stage or something and that's why his vocals weren't there, but it would seem that that wasn't the case at all.

If you listen carefully to the live era version, you'll hear axl's vocals buried in the mix