UYI Deluxe Live Recordings vs. Live Era Discussion Thread

On 11/11/2022 at 12:54 PM, James Bond said:

I thought it might be worthwhile to start a thread for this to not cloud the main UYI box set thread.

Now that we've got the unedited versions of Las Vegas and New York in particular to listen to, it might be worth listing the differences between these recordings and their Live Era counterparts.

A few I've noticed so far:

- Nightrain on Live Era is sourced from the Vegas show. We've long known that Axl re-recorded the vocals, but we can hear Slash's guitar go out of tune at the end of his main solo which lasts through the remainder of the song and his phrasing is different than what is on Live Era. I think we could probably conclude that everything musically up to and including Gilby's solo was left alone on Live Era, but Slash's solo onwards must have been lifted from a different performance.

- The source of Welcome to the Jungle on Live Era has long been debated among the fandom but now we can conclude it's the Vegas performance. Of course, this is another track that features mostly re-recorded vocals on Live Era so it's great to hear it unaltered here.

Any other differences of note? It's cool to be able to compare and contrast. The Vegas recording sounds excellent. Way better than Live Era in my humble opinion.

I got to agree with that, I'm a musician, and yeah, slash nightrain's solo from Live Era is different, is played better. I have been listening to live era since '99, so I got quite a surprise when the solos were different.

1 hour ago, gabfm said:

I got to agree with that, I'm a musician, and yeah, slash nightrain's solo from Live Era is different, is played better. I have been listening to live era since '99, so I got quite a surprise when the solos were different.

Slash re-recorded alot of stuff. I'm pretty sure Sweet Child O' Mine Intro is re-recorded too, doesn't sound like the source

Regarding the Nightrain solo, on Live Era the tone is very similar to what was his overall UYI tour tone, so if I had to guess (I could be wrong of course), I would bet on Slash's solo being flown in from another show, be it segments or the whole general solo, for tone continuity (it sounds the same to me as his first solo during the solo trade-off section)

15 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Regarding the Nightrain solo, on Live Era the tone is very similar to what was his overall UYI tour tone, so if I had to guess (I could be wrong of course), I would bet on Slash's solo being flown in from another show, be it segments or the whole general solo, for tone continuity (it sounds the same to me as his first solo during the solo trade-off section)

Mmmmm, it's really hard to put a solo from another show in because they didn't play with a tick (metronome if you wish). I don't want to believe Slash re-recorded parts for Live era, but either this solo was rerecorded (or the whole track). Or was just like some mentioned of putting a different performance at the start of his solo. Should I do a track to track comparison ? Is it worth the time ? :lol:

I mean, we know AXL rerecorded vocals for sake of consistency. If know we would have had a different voice in every track. Maybe slash did the same, should we bother ?

Now, why did they kill Gilby on some tracks ? Couldn't get him to re record too ?

I don't think the lack of a click track would matter for minor fixes, but I agree that for entire sections (like the entire solo) that it would get tricky. Easier to re-record. But then it's true that Slash's tone is indeed very consistent on the release versus Axl's re-recorded vocals, so who really knows.

This makes me more inclined to think that, instrumentally, entire sections (guitars, bass, drums) were lifted from other performances and pasted and blended in. That could be the case for Nightrain. From the main solo onwards on Live Era it's possible we aren't listening to Vegas at all. It would be fun to start doing some detective work and side by side comparisons.

They very cleanly shortened the Rocket Queen intro on Live Era (it was quite the revelation to hear how much longer it was for real), so who is to say they didn't do the same for other tracks by essentially mixing performances.

48 minutes ago, gabfm said:

Mmmmm, it's really hard to put a solo from another show in because they didn't play with a tick (metronome if you wish). I don't want to believe Slash re-recorded parts for Live era, but either this solo was rerecorded (or the whole track). Or was just like some mentioned of putting a different performance at the start of his solo. Should I do a track to track comparison ? Is it worth the time ? :lol:

I mean, we know AXL rerecorded vocals for sake of consistency. If know we would have had a different voice in every track. Maybe slash did the same, should we bother ?

Now, why did they kill Gilby on some tracks ? Couldn't get him to re record too ?

Keep in mind this is also Axl in the ProTools era, splicing little sections of a Slash solo to make it fit the time of the Vegas track would be right up his alley :P

I am a guitarist myself, and a bit of recording experience mainly from when I got my degree - of course I have no idea how ProTools circa 1999 operated but I definitely can, currently, use time-based editing tools to make one solo fit into another take - especially if they got to choose two sources where the tempos were not dissimilar!

Again this can be wrong, but definitely guitar-wise myself, UYI era Slash is my favorite tone-wise and it sounds much more like that and consistent with the rest of the track, than what I have heard with the 1998/1999 clips (Slash's Blues Ball, Snakepit, guest appearances, etc.). 

Edited by WhazUp

22 hours ago, gabfm said:

No idea why they removed Gilby's rhythm guitar from Estranged and Rocket Queen. Gilby's always seemed like a purist and I doubt he'd have overdubbed parts to a live album. 

On 11/13/2022 at 1:03 PM, gabfm said:

Slash in his book says he definitely spent a good chunk of time curating and working on Live Era -- wouldn't surprise me re: dubs, redos and cut/pastes. I don't think he mentions specifics, but he was definitely really involved. He mentioned how live albums were really important to him as a kid, so he wanted to do it right. 

Was the Gilby thing just out of spite?? Like the "additional musicians" thing? Maybe Axl wanted Paul to get in on it, so they just cut Gilby instead to split the difference lol. I blame Huge once again.  

Edited by Ant000

I like Live Era. I don't care if Axl's vocals were recorded from the back seat of a car.  That album came out when I was turning 16 and really getting into the band. I listened to it over and over and just thought it was so cool.  Some beautiful and badass renditions of great songs on there.

40 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Cool to see how proud slash is of Live Era.  Also a lot of answers to why he releases so many solo live albums too.  Good stuff.  

Edited by Bitchisback

On 11/13/2022 at 3:42 PM, gabfm said:

Anyone kind of disappointed with the quality of the mix ? Slash guitar is way too loud, the drums are way in the back... I don't know if it's just me but they theoretically have this in multitracks

Thought the same while watching the video on yt and listening to the show on a regular stereo system... but then I put on my headphones and Izzy was there, although not as loud as Slash.  The drums sound fine to me

18 minutes ago, Mr Mini Mite said:

Thought the same while watching the video on yt and listening to the show on a regular stereo system... but then I put on my headphones and Izzy was there, although not as loud as Slash.  The drums sound fine to me

You can hear Izzy plenty loud on this song. This has to be my favorite all around recording of this song. Much better than the studio track. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:12 AM, agustingloger said:

The ones that are original yes, i can't stand the overdubs now

What? Please tell me this isn't true. If it is... sigh. What the hell does this band have against releasing unaltered live music? Are they really that insecure about a missed chord or a bad note here and there? Makes no sense.

Edited by Nintari

17 minutes ago, Nintari said:

What? Please tell me this isn't true. If it is... sigh. What the hell does this band have against releasing unaltered live music? Are they really that insecure about a missed chord or a bad note here and there? Makes no sense.

He talks about Live Era. The 30 anniversary UYI releases are unaltered. 

• Like 1