GNR songs you have NEVER liked? 😐

6 hours ago, Towelie said:

Paradise City.

Main riff ripped off from Sabbath, chorus is lame and gimmicky. 

It's kind of silly lyrics-wise but it's great for singing along. One of the best stadium rock songs of all time. Also if the plagiarism allegation is true, Sabbath should thank them; it's as if the astrology section of a tabloid somehow helped make the canvas on which Mona Lisa was painted. What amazing fortune for a Sabbath tune!

Edited by Sonic Reducer

16 minutes ago, Karice said:

I've always thought that Get In The Ring was just Axl ranting his frustrations in a song. Apparently magazine were spreading lies about GNR. I'd be mad too in Axl's situation. 

printing lies *and* startin controversy

they forced his hand 

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, merryfnchristmas said:

Yeah, I find This I Love pretty brutal. I can somewhat appreciate the craft of the verses in a musical theatre sorta way, and then that chorus hits. Yikes.

sounds like a song from Beauty and the Beast

and the beast is bein a whiney puss 

It's So Easy

Anything Goes

Used To Love Her

most of UYI 1 + TSI and most (not all) other covers too

Rhiad - great riff, dig the "somehwere in time" part, but the lyrics just ruin the song)

Scraped

I.R.S. (again, great song and killer vocals, but those lyrics...)

Hard Skool

Absurd - no word for this

The riff in PC is used very differently from the similar one from Sabbath, if it was derived from that then it’s excusable imo, plus PC is constructed of lots of other riffs and melodies, it’s not like it’s simply based around the Sabbath song. Other GnR songs are a lot more rip off ish, like UTLH being basically a slight variation of Dead Flowers.

11 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

The riff in PC is used very differently from the similar one from Sabbath, if it was derived from that then it’s excusable imo, plus PC is constructed of lots of other riffs and melodies, it’s not like it’s simply based around the Sabbath song. Other GnR songs are a lot more rip off ish, like UTLH being basically a slight variation of Dead Flowers.

I'm assuming the riff is Fairies wear boots? And that riff is almost completely different. Unless it's plagiarism to use G F and Bb😄

As for gnr songs I have never liked One in a million, down on the farm, Silkworms.

If it was what songs are not great but still listenable the list would be longer

November Rain and Live n Let Die are two popular songs I would never voluntarily listen to.

NR is a tedious song for me, too much of an indulgent Axl song about his relationship that I don’t care about. I reckon the rest of the band might’ve thought similar, eyes rolling at the level of soppy woe is me shit going on for ten minutes or whatever. 

LALD has just got shit lyrics and crap message. It’s a banal endorsement of hyper individualistic, “fuck everyone else” selfish bollocks. I get that it’s supposed to be on the same tip as WTTJ but I get different vibes from that. Jungle seems like a partly critical assessment of what it’s like trying to survive on the streets of the city full of sharks out for themselves. LALD seems more of an endorsement of being out for yourself. 

Either way, when these songs come on at a concert it’s my cue to go for a piss. 

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm assuming the riff is Fairies wear boots? And that riff is almost completely different. Unless it's plagiarism to use G F and Bb😄

As for gnr songs I have never liked One in a million, down on the farm, Silkworms.

If it was what songs are not great but still listenable the list would be longer

The Sabbath riff is supposedly Zero the Hero. Tbh if you hadn’t heard the alleged comparison, it wouldn’t be noticeable.. the Sabbath one is like an extremely slowed down chuggy version of the PC verse one

Scraped and This I Love are the absolute worst songs GnR has ever released. Truly awful. 

The studio version of KOHD is also shit. 

I've never really liked Sorry and Shacklers much either. 

The CD version of Catcher is fucking offensive. I hate it But I mostly hate it for not being the Village version of Catcher. The same could be said about Street Of Dreams / The Blues. But since the Village versions of those songs are among my favourites I suppose I technically do like the songs. 

Edited by username

12 minutes ago, username said:

Scraped and This I Love are the absolute worst songs GnR has ever released. Truly awful. 

The studio version of KOHD is also shit. 

I've never really liked Sorry and Shacklers much either. 

The CD version of Catcher is fucking offensive. I hate it But I mostly hate it for not being the Village version of Catcher. The same could be said about Street Of Dreams / The Blues. But since the Village versions of those songs are among my favourites I suppose I technically do like the songs. 

I also don't like the Studio version of Knocking On Heaven's Door all that much. Axl sounds kind of cold and monotone in the studio version to me. 😐

33 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

November Rain and Live n Let Die are two popular songs I would never voluntarily listen to.

NR is a tedious song for me, too much of an indulgent Axl song about his relationship that I don’t care about. I reckon the rest of the band might’ve thought similar, eyes rolling at the level of soppy woe is me shit going on for ten minutes or whatever. 

LALD has just got shit lyrics and crap message. It’s a banal endorsement of hyper individualistic, “fuck everyone else” selfish bollocks. I get that it’s supposed to be on the same tip as WTTJ but I get different vibes from that. Jungle seems like a partly critical assessment of what it’s like trying to survive on the streets of the city full of sharks out for themselves. LALD seems more of an endorsement of being out for yourself. 

Either way, when these songs come on at a concert it’s my cue to go for a piss. 

The Sabbath riff is supposedly Zero the Hero. Tbh if you hadn’t heard the alleged comparison, it wouldn’t be noticeable.. the Sabbath one is like an extremely slowed down chuggy version of the PC verse one

There is a similarity, but it's mainly the G to F to Bb thing, but both songs have different endings.

Oh and back on topic add Coma to my list of songs I never liked

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

There is a similarity, but it's mainly the G to F to Bb thing, but both songs have different endings.

Oh and back on topic add Coma to my list of songs I never liked

Coma's bridge is one of the most amazing bridges I have ever heard. 😃😍 Axl sounds like a man at the end of his wits on that bridge in a good way. He sounds really emotional in that bridge. 😍😃

2 hours ago, Karice said:

Coma's bridge is one of the most amazing bridges I have ever heard. 😃😍 Axl sounds like a man at the end of his wits on that bridge in a good way. He sounds really emotional in that bridge. 😍😃

I like certain parts but overall it's overly long and the riff is kinda shit. The middle section "bother me anymore..." is good. 

4 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

My Michelle

Right Next Door To Hell

Perfect Crime

Garden of Eden

Shotgun Blues

My World

Scraped

Riad and the Bedouins

Sorry

This I Love

Absurd

Hard Skool

I hate My Michelle too, but I'm surprised you don't like Perfect Crime, Garden Of Eden and Right Next Door To Hell. I love all of the preceding three. My World, I hated it when I first heard it, I found it appalling, but other GNR Fans put My World into perspective and pointed out Axl was just having fun, alleviating a lot of  the tension that makes up the bulk of UYI 2, showing his playful, "I don't give a fuc," side with My World 🤣 and it grew on me. 😃

• Like 1