Metallica - new song released, new album and world rour announced \m/

-Jaro-

Literally gave this new song it's second listen since it was released and this is where I stand so far:

Comparing to "recent Metallica", where

The Day That Never Comes is 9/10

Cyanide is 6/10

My Apocalypse is 6/10

Hardwired is 3/10

Atlas Rise is 8/10

Moth into Flame is 7/10

Lux Aeterna: would be a 4/10

Screaming Suicide would be a 5/10

If Darkness Had a Son would be a 2/10

Kinda weak, so far.

I thought If Darkness Had A Son was easily the best of the three singles they’ve released from the upcoming album. It has a bit of that epic Metallica vibe that I love. 

And it’s definitely not a 2/10. Give it another listen. I rate it a solid 7/10. And I’d give it a higher rating if the guitar solo was better. 

22 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I thought If Darkness Had A Son was easily the best of the three singles they’ve released from the upcoming album. It has a bit of that epic Metallica vibe that I love. 

And it’s definitely not a 2/10. Give it another listen. I rate it a solid 7/10. And I’d give it a higher rating if the guitar solo was better. 

Verse is ok, chorus is meh. Main riff is good. The “temptation” chant ruins it so much though. Perhaps 2/10 was a bit harsh but it certainly doesn’t go beyond 4/10 for me.

5 hours ago, Majestic Beast said:

What theme you wanted to hear from lyrics,James should sing about what exactly?

I don’t know man but this is far from what Metallica used to sing about. Lyrics are, at the same time, very personal to James (always about suicide, depression, his struggle against alcohol, etc) and shallow, as it repeats itself over and over, not really getting into different territory. Master of Puppets, for example, talks about addiction in a much more creative and deeper way than to chant “temptation”. Anyways, I feel James’ lyrics have been really uninspired.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new single, the title track of the album 72 Seasons, premiers in full on YouTube in under 2 hours.

In the latest teaser, about 55 seconds long, it now reveals how it starts out all thrashy, but then by the time the vocals kick in, it turns into a kinda Enter Sandman type hard rock song. 

Apparently the full thing is over 8 minutes long, so we’ll see if it lives up to the hype…

By far best one so far. At the same level as the standouts in Hardwired, IMO. Nice riff, cool solo. Good song choice to release before the album, gets people excited.

EDIT: Still think it's the strongest one so far but man... James says "Wrath of man" like 50 times. He says it the verses, he says it in every chorus line, he begins the song with the line and ends it with the same damn line. We got it the first 7 times, man. Jeez. An yes, the chorus is the weakest part, IMO. It's got a pretty awesome intro, a nice verse, a cool pre-chorus, a cool, solo by Kirk for a change and the chorus is just ok, IMO. Still, the best one so far.

EDIT 2: This whole "wrath of man" thing is keeping me from really enjoying this song. At this point I'm pretty sure James is some kind of born again christian of an evangelical church that wrote down "wrath of man" when the pastor was talking about COVID or something

Edited by Cosmo

On 4/1/2023 at 1:25 AM, Majestic Beast said:

A good song,after 2 mediocre singles,but i want to think that the album has some songs like this to deliver more.A bit extended,could be a min less.

Just your opinion though. If Darkness Had A Son isn’t mediocre at all. It’s up there with Metallica’s best.

Album reviews are starting to come in, one rated it 8/10, another 7/10, and a few other sites have spoken highly of it too. 

Hype is starting to build…

I'm excited to listen to the album's last track after the reviews I read. Seems promising. But then again, these guys praised all of the meh singles we got so far, you gotta keep your expectations low :lol:

I listened to Hardwired for the first time in a long time this week and some things got me wondering:

- It was marketed as a double album and it has the same number of tracks as 72 Seasons, which is not being marketed as one. This is obviously because of streaming culture.

- Hardwired has a whole lot of songs that are more leaned towards the Load/ReLoad sound. Most of them are weak, though. Hope this doesn't happen on 72 Seasons.

- Both albums have pretty much the same sound. If you make a playlist with songs from both albums, there barely is any difference in sound between them. I find this to be a good thing but some fans are complaining. Saw a fan commenting "We're so fucked, shit out of luck. 72 Seasons sounds like Hardwired to Selfdestruct!" :lol:

Anyways, can't help but be hyped for a new Metallica album, even though I think it's not gonna be so impressive. And I'm definitely not seeing them live with their current ticket pricing and random setlist possibilities.

Edited by Cosmo

Just listened to the full album. Here's what I think of it:

Definitely weaker than Hardwired, which is a bummer 'cause Hardwired wasn't really something to write home about. I don't know why Metallica insists on marketing these albums as something they are not, setting fans up for disappointment. They did the same thing last time: All of the singles made the album seem like it was gonna be an overall thrash album, but it was full of bluesy hard rockers a la Load/ReLoad, which seemed like they belonged in a completely different album, breaking the overall flow of the album completely. This time I think it's even worst. Hardwired as marketed as a double album and this has overall the same duration and track number so technically, it is one too. And most these songs could have been left aside for a "Beyond Magnetic" type of EP. But we're in the streaming era and albums have to have the biggest number of songs possible to count as streams and keep the listener within the band's streaming ecosystem for as long as possible. I get that. I just think that it shouldn't be at the cost of the album quality.

And this is how I rank the songs:

Really good:

• Inamorata (Probably the best of the album ,It's got a bluesy vibe from the Load tracks with slow, heavy riffage and an awesome solo) - 8/10
  • 72 Seasons (Best rocker of the album) - 8/10

Good:

• Screaming Suicide (yes, I found this to be the third best track) - 6/10
  • Lux Æterna (It's a good track, but not one I come back to often) - 5/10

Decent:

• Too Far Gone? (Really poppy but fun) - 4.5/10
  • If Darkness Had A Son (I had a lot of complaints about this one when it was released, but it's better than most of the album) - 4/10
  • Room of Mirrors (Cool solo, nice track) - 4/10

Bad:

• Shadow Follow (Kinda reminds me of the weaker tracks on the Black Album) - 3.5/10
  • Sleepwalk My Life Away (Starts out great but then it just loses sense of direction, IMO) - 3/10
  • You Must Burn! (Could have been a ReLoad leftover) - 3/10

Really Bad

• Chasing Light (Has kind of a late 80's AC/DC filler vibe, when then thought of a good song name and just jammed on it a couple of times and recorded anything that came out) - 2/10
  • Crown of Barbed Wire (In any decent reality of the multiverse this would have been a shy B-side released in a second or third single) - 1/10

Overall, I give the album a 4.5/10. In the Metallica discography, this is where I'd rank it:

1. Ride the Lightning
  2. Master of Puppets
  3. ...And Justice For All
  4. The Black Album
  5. Death Magnetic
  6. Kill 'Em All
  7. Hardwired
  8. Load
  9. 72 Seasons
  10. Reload
  11. St.Anger