Metallica - new song released, new album and world rour announced \m/

-Jaro-

1 minute ago, metallex78 said:

I don’t know why people would think a bunch of guys pushing 60 would put out an all thrash album. 

Probably because they wanted people to think that before the album release, just like in Hardwired.

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah it’s only been a day and the recency bias is already starting to fade for me. Tracks 2 and 4 in particular aren’t really sticking in my head.

So far, nothing is particularly stuck in my head. Honestly, I played 72 Seasons and Hardwired back to back yesterday. And the two songs stuck in my head since are Atlas Rise and Spit Out The Bone. 

That said I'm still enjoying Inamorata and 72 Seasons a lot. Lux Aeterna too. The rest... not particularly sticking yet. 

11 minutes ago, username said:

So far, nothing is particularly stuck in my head. Honestly, I played 72 Seasons and Hardwired back to back yesterday. And the two songs stuck in my head since are Atlas Rise and Spit Out The Bone. 

That said I'm still enjoying Inamorata and 72 Seasons a lot. Lux Aeterna too. The rest... not particularly sticking yet. 

Surprisingly the parts that stuck to my head the most were parts of Too Far Gone and Room of Mirrors

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

and the production/mixing isn't great...

This really is a thing for me with the last 4 Metallica albums. They keep putting the drums and particularly the snare and cymbals way up front in the mix which sometimes feels like an assault on the ears. And not in a good way. It does give some rawness and agression, but it makes the overall listening experience much more demanding. St. Anger is the worst offender by far, but overall they really seem keen on mixing the drums in a way that I don't particularly like. I wonder if that's something the band purposely does and no producer has the balls to argue over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, username said:

This really is a thing for me with the last 4 Metallica albums. They keep putting the drums and particularly the snare and cymbals way up front in the mix which sometimes feels like an assault on the ears. And not in a good way. It does give some rawness and agression, but it makes the overall listening experience much more demanding. St. Anger is the worst offender by far, but overall they really seem keen on mixing the drums in a way that I don't particularly like. I wonder if that's something the band purposely does and no producer has the balls to argue over. 

I imagine those dudes have the last say in anything they do, even stuff they have absolutely no experience with. I can't imagine Lars and James on a bad day accepting unwanted input from a producer, especially when it clashes with their own opinion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I’ve listened a bunch of times since it came out, and to me it sounds like a mix of all their different eras. Which at this point is probably to be expected. 

I don’t know why people would think a bunch of guys pushing 60 would put out an all thrash album. 

This album as it is, sounds pretty great to me. There’s a great mix of fast stuff, slow stuff, and a bit in between. 

I think this album is better than Hardwired, and probably a solid 8/10  

But haters are gonna hate regardless 

Chasing Light is my particular favourite of the non-singles. Oddly…Crown ranks highly too…..great chorus….yet pretty much most fans don’t like it.

Certainly it’s a divisive album insomuch every one has baring takes on various songs.

4 hours ago, username said:

Production values on last 2 have been much better….Death Magnetic was a travesty. That album with the production of the last two would be sensational.

That said…..the ONE thing that should be right up front in the mix is the rhythm guitar. Not even a debate. So many killer riffs which would pack a bigger punch if they were higher in the mix IMO.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Probably because they wanted people to think that before the album release, just like in Hardwired.

Nowhere have the band ever stated that though. Not even before Hardwired did they say “this is a return to all out thrash”

If people go in expecting that, then that’s on them, not the band. 

3 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

Nowhere have the band ever stated that though. Not even before Hardwired did they say “this is a return to all out thrash”

If people go in expecting that, then that’s on them, not the band. 

They have 12 songs in each of those albums. And every time, they chose to release the thrash metal oriented songs as previews for the album. They know that is what drives fans, generates buzz and increases hype. They are fully aware of that. That is why they choose to release these songs up front. It makes the full listen feel like a gotcha moment. There is absolutely no reason for them to not make a thrash album nowadays other than “we don’t feel like it”, so yes, that is what many fana expect.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

They have 12 songs in each of those albums. And every time, they chose to release the thrash metal oriented songs as previews for the album. They know that is what drives fans, generates buzz and increases hype. They are fully aware of that. That is why they choose to release these songs up front. It makes the full listen feel like a gotcha moment. There is absolutely no reason for them to not make a thrash album nowadays other than “we don’t feel like it”, so yes, that is what many fana expect.

Metallica haven’t released a full thrash album since 1988, that’s over 35 years ago in a 40+ year career. So if you’re saying they’re pulling a “gotcha” moment because that’s what you’re expecting on an album just from a single, then you’re just setting yourself up for disappointment. And that’s on you, not the band.

I’m a fan and I enjoy the thrash stuff as well as the slow sludgy Load type stuff, and it makes the albums great because of the different styles throughout.

7 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Metallica haven’t released a full thrash album since 1988, that’s over 35 years ago in a 40+ year career. So if you’re saying they’re pulling a “gotcha” moment because that’s what you’re expecting on an album just from a single, then you’re just setting yourself up for disappointment. And that’s on you, not the band.

I’m a fan and I enjoy the thrash stuff as well as the slow sludgy Load type stuff, and it makes the albums great because of the different styles throughout.

Lol Death Magnetic is what exactly? I love these fanboys that will defend anything their favorite band does no matter what. It’s funny as they search for new arguments to say how everyone not pleased is a hater and every new album is actually a masterpiece.

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

Lol Death Magnetic is what exactly? I love these fanboys that will defend anything their favorite band does no matter what. It’s funny as they search for new arguments to say how everyone not pleased is a hater and every new album is actually a masterpiece.

Death Magnetic isn’t all thrash though is it? While it’s definitely a throwback to their older style, it’s not an all out thrash album. 

I love these metal elitists that try to paint Metallica into a corner because they don’t sound like it’s 1983 anymore :lol:

25 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

And you don’t have to like everything they do, but criticising them because they don’t put out an all out thrash album, when they clearly haven’t done that for decades, is a stupid reason to hate them 

Dude, they hadn’t done that for one album. And, like as I said, they marketed Hardwired as a thrash album. But still, thats no the problem. My favourite song on the album is Inamorata and it’s a load type of song. The problem is the album flow getting really sucky with these long bluesy songs in the middle of thrash ones, in a 12 song tracklist. Some of these songs should have been b-sides, IMO.

20 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Dude, they hadn’t done that for one album. And, like as I said, they marketed Hardwired as a thrash album. But still, thats no the problem. My favourite song on the album is Inamorata and it’s a load type of song. The problem is the album flow getting really sucky with these long bluesy songs in the middle of thrash ones, in a 12 song tracklist. Some of these songs should have been b-sides, IMO.

Just stop, you’re embarrassing yourself by repeating the same thing over and over :lol:

Sure, Death Magnetic was marketed as a throwback to their earlier style, but even that wasn’t an all out thrash album. 

And no, Hardwired wasn’t marketed as an all out thrash album either, so I’m not sure why you keep saying it was? 

My point is that Metallica stopped being that type of a band in 1991 and 30+ years later these narrow minded metal elitists are still banging on about how they’ve changed, but you’d think after 30+ years you’d be silly to expect an all thrash album from them, especially when they’ve never promised one either :huh:

I happen to like that the band has evolved, and I think the slow mid paced heavy stuff sounds great alongside the fast thrashy stuff. It gives the album a great variety and keeps it interesting.

It’s ok if that’s not for your tastes, but I think it sounds great.  

27 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

Just stop, you’re embarrassing yourself by repeating the same thing over and over :lol:

Sure, Death Magnetic was marketed as a throwback to their earlier style, but even that wasn’t an all out thrash album. 

And no, Hardwired wasn’t marketed as an all out thrash album either, so I’m not sure why you keep saying it was? 

My point is that Metallica stopped being that type of a band in 1991 and 30+ years later these narrow minded metal elitists are still banging on about how they’ve changed, but you’d think after 30+ years you’d be silly to expect an all thrash album from them, especially when they’ve never promised one either :huh:

I happen to like that the band has evolved, and I think the slow mid paced heavy stuff sounds great alongside the fast thrashy stuff. It gives the album a great variety and keeps it interesting.

not to get in the middle of this, but I think Metallica always was a diverse band, that's one of the things that set them apart from other bands. They weren't afraid of doing what they wanted to do, if it came natural to them, or if they thought there was value in taking some cues from other, younger bands.

I also think that in their core, they're a trash metal band, or at least that's what they were at their creative peak imo. Bands are capable of changing their sound, a little bit, somewhat, or completely and it's their choice.

if they choose to not make it trashy or as trashy as they once did cause it's a matter of being difficult due to their older age or an artistic choice, that's up to them and I respect that, but that doesn't mean I consider it an evolution of their sound and besides, their current sound is more a composite of a lot of what they did in the past.

in the end, it's a matter of personal preference and I think it would have been cool to get like a pure in your face Metallica album, and even if DM wasn't pure trash, it was trashier compared to Hardwired and 72 seasons, but if the tunes are good, I'm fine with it.

so even though I'm a fan who prefers their first 4 albums, I also liked that they weren't afraid to venture into other areas of their potential sound like their bluesier side mixed with the more traditional metal side like in Load and Reload, albums that seem to be more appreciated in the last decade or so.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Let me offer you a perspective of a big Metallica fan.

The album is f'kin solid throughout with no weak points.

If I had to rate it overall, it lands on the same shelf for me as Death Magnetic & Loads. It's better than Hardwired to Self Destruct (2nd disc on that record had too many songs that fall in the "meh" category).

In terms of sound it's like Death Magnetic & Load/ReLoad had a baby. The overall vibe is dark, personal & moody, while the record is filled with heavy bangers with brilliant riffs, guitar harmonies, some nice tiwst & turns and unexpected moments.

Kirk has been lazy with wah-ridden "live feel" solos improvised on the spot on Hardwired to Self Destruct, but this time he stepped up his game. Some solos have still that feel to them, but on many you can hear there was more thought put into them, they're more inspired. Some solos are wah-free which is very refreshing.

Rob did a solid job as always.

James clearly took some liberties and I like it ! He made many unexpected, interesting choices in terms of vocal delivery. The lyrics are step up from the last record without a doubt.

Lars' drumming is predictable, and I wish he took more liberties. As far as how drums are positioned in the mix - it's totally normal to me. With Metallica I'm used to it being that way. Lars has always been the person overlooking the production. James takes care of the creative side while Lars overlooks everything, that's how it's always been with them.

The last 3 songs on the record (Too Far Gone?, Room of Mirrors, Inamorata) are my favorite ones at the moment, with Inamorata having that instant classic feel. It's just so epic, on the same level as The Outlaw Torn or Fixxxer.

I love the dark vibe of the record. It flows nicely. It's a solid modern Metallica album & is so enjoyable to listen.

Edited by swirkh
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

Oh Death Magnetic wasn’t a thrash album? Which non-thrash track is your favourite then? Lol

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Oh Death Magnetic wasn’t a thrash album? Which non-thrash track is your favourite then? Lol

Unforgiven 3 is hardly a thrash song now is it? Neither are Cyanide and Broken Beat & Scarred.

But please, carry on making silly claims about it being all thrash :lol:

40 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

Unforgiven 3 is hardly a thrash song now is it? Neither are Cyanide and Broken Beat & Scarred.

But please, carry on making silly claims about it being all thrash :lol:

Omg lol Cyanide isn’t a thrash track? And Broken Beat and Scarred also isn’t? Oh and Unforgiven III being a ballad makes the album a non-thrash album? Can’t wait to hear what you got to say about Fade To Black and Escape on Ride The Lightning and Welcome Home Sanitarium ans The Thing That Should Not Be on Master of Puppets 😂

• Confused 1

You are just making yourself sound stupid now… :lol:

You’re pointing out to me that Metallica have had diversity in their albums for a long time, (which I already know), yet you then complain because the new album is diverse and not all out thrash. 

Make up your mind already :lol:

8 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

You are just making yourself sound stupid now… :lol:

You’re pointing out to me that Metallica have had diversity in their albums for a long time, (which I already know), yet you then complain because the new album is diverse and not all out thrash. 

Make up your mind already :lol:

I am saying the main problem I found in the new album is that it has way too many songs and no album flow. It is almost a chore to listen to the whole thing from start to finish. If it were 45-55 minutes long like the old times, it would have been a much more solid effort. My complaint about the mixture of thrash songs and non-thrash songs is that it makes the album feel like a playlist full of individual songs instead of a concise album. And it does. Just like hardwired. Death Magnetic didn’t feel like that. It felt like an album, nota collection of songs. 

I listened to the album a lot more now and I think it is a bit stronger than the previoua album, being betwen Load and Hardwired on my metallica album ranking. You don’t need to get all upaet about it though, people have different opinions, even about your favourite band, which consistently releases mixes received albums. 

28 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I am saying the main problem I found in the new album is that it has way too many songs and no album flow. It is almost a chore to listen to the whole thing from start to finish. If it were 45-55 minutes long like the old times, it would have been a much more solid effort. My complaint about the mixture of thrash songs and non-thrash songs is that it makes the album feel like a playlist full of individual songs instead of a concise album. And it does. Just like hardwired. Death Magnetic didn’t feel like that. It felt like an album, nota collection of songs. 

I listened to the album a lot more now and I think it is a bit stronger than the previoua album, being betwen Load and Hardwired on my metallica album ranking. You don’t need to get all upaet about it though, people have different opinions, even about your favourite band, which consistently releases mixes received albums. 

I already told you I have no issue with differing opinions. Not everyone has to like it. 

I have a problem with people saying stupid things like “it should be all thrash like the old days” as a reason to dislike it. It’s a very narrow minded view to have of a band that has proven to be more than just the thrash genre. And they’re all the better for it.

I agree with you on one thing though, this album just gets better with each listen. 

2 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I already told you I have no issue with differing opinions. Not everyone has to like it. 

I have a problem with people saying stupid things like “it should be all thrash like the old days” as a reason to dislike it. It’s a very narrow minded view to have of a band that has proven to be more than just the thrash genre. And they’re all the better for it.

I agree with you on one thing though, this album just gets better with each listen. 

I see. Your problem is interpretation, then.