Metallica - new song released, new album and world rour announced \m/

-Jaro-

5 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Probaly. He's the lamest "big name" guitarist anyway. No charisma whatsoever. 

I really liked his old solos, before the 2000s. I agree he's got no charisma but I enjoyed his playing (Fade To Black, Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, Blackened are amazing). But now the man's gone completely crazy on Wah usage, useless shredding, pointless doodling and uninspired gimmicks. It's like he's been out of gas since the turn of the century. To be frank, James carries this band on his back. Rob is an amazing bass player but James is the creative force behind this band all the way. Not even gonna mention Lars here :rolleyes:

Edited by Cosmo

The last time I've been excited to hear anything new from Metallica was the mid-90s. 

I don't think there's been a Metallica song that has caught my attention since King Nothing from Load. 

To repeat a word used often in this thread, everything since - at least in my opinion - has been uninspired, paint by numbers at best (Death Magnetic, Hardwired) to dreadful (St. Anger) at its worst.

I gave the new song a listen but can't say it does anything for me from a song writing perspective.  Metallica use to write fantastic hooks with big sweeping melodies.  This just seems like a throw-away that would have been considered a filler in one of their earlier albums.  That said, I'm sure it will come across better in a live setting.

I hope hardcore Metallica fans find something in the new album they can enjoy. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, downzy said:

The last time I've been excited to hear anything new from Metallica was the mid-90s. 

I don't think there's been a Metallica song that has caught my attention since King Nothing from Load. 

To repeat a word used often in this thread, everything since - at least in my opinion - has been uninspired, paint by numbers at best (Death Magnetic, Hardwired) to dreadful (St. Anger) at its worst.

I gave the new song a listen but can't say it does anything for me from a song writing perspective.  Metallica use to write fantastic hooks with big sweeping melodies.  This just seems like a throw-away that would have been considered a filler in one of their earlier albums.  That said, I'm sure it will come across better in a live setting.

I hope hardcore Metallica fans find something in the new album they can enjoy. 

I think Metallica fell into a trap they put themselves in through St.Anger: They’re desperately trying to sound thrashy and old school, sacrificing creative freedom. The track “Hardwired”, IMO, was evidence of this - not memorable riffs, vocal lines, hooks, a terrible solo.. but it sounded “old school” to them and that was better than a creative track with modern or melodic influences

2 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I think Metallica fell into a trap they put themselves in through St.Anger: They’re desperately trying to sound thrashy and old school, sacrificing creative freedom. The track “Hardwired”, IMO, was evidence of this - not memorable riffs, vocal lines, hooks, a terrible solo.. but it sounded “old school” to them and that was better than a creative track with modern or melodic influences

Agreed.

I think all bands, if they stay together long enough, fall victim to their own sound. 

The ability to craft catchy, unique, and distinctive songs comes easily for great artists at the beginning of their creative journey, but it's rare they can sustain this momentum for more than two or three albums (with notable exceptions). 

It's inevitable many artists/bands will resort to expanding beyond the sound that they helped to create and put them on the map.  Maybe some can still find inspiration in an updated sound to craft brilliant and inspired songs.  But far too often they spend more time focusing on the sound or feel than the actual songs, with the sound progression covering up weakness in the songwriting department.   That's what I find so impressive about the GNR's Illusion Albums.  They were a fairly large departure from AFD, but the songwriting (IMO) sustained and improved.  

Eventually and inevitably artists will come full circle back to the sound that made them, but often at that point the songwriting well has run dry.  So you get albums like St. Anger, Death Magnetica, and Hardwire, where emphasis is more on the overall sound and feel of the album and less so on crafting the kind of hooks and ideas that went hand-in-hand with the sound they were known for in the 80s and early 90s.  And as stuck as Metallica has been with respect to songwriting, lyrically it's a barren wasteland.  It feels like James has been writing the same song for decades now from a lyrical standpoint.   Death...  Black...  Destroy... Fade...  Fire...  Kill...(and repeat).   Though, in fairness, this pretty much sums up the lyrics or themes of every metal or thrash metal group.  It was cool when I was 14.  Nearly 30 years later, it just gets old.  

Metallica isn't alone, so I don't want to single them out.  The same charge could be levelled against U2, RHCP, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Coldplay, and most other artists who have been around for 20+ years.  Radiohead might be the one artists who have been able to keep things interesting, but even they kind of left the traditional melody-hook driven music they were known for after OK Computer.

Part of me feels this is what has kept Axl in a state of creative paralysis for the past 30+ years.  I think he wanted to push GNR's sound to something more relevant, but whatever he considered relevant at the time soon became antiquated with each delay.  I think Axl more than most artist appreciates the kind of melody driven music that once dominated pop culture.  But based on what we see from other artists, it's extremely difficult to come by or get back once an artist leaves that creative period. 

Apologies for the tangent but these kinds of thoughts always pop up in my head whenever an artist like Metallica or someone of their notoriety release new music.  I often feel conflicted with the fact while I appreciate that an artist I once loved (and still do, to an extent) is releasing new material, my belief that the music will fall short is almost never proven wrong. 

Based on the new single, it appears that this unfortunate streak will continue.  

• Like 1

I see it the other way around.

they desperately wanted to be sophisticated from black album onwards, sacrificing their core talents which was creating trashy riffs and short thrilling songs.

kill em all is my favorite album of them for this reason.

as early as ride the lightning, they wanted more, but that was not their talent.

Long, meandering, experimental songs may sound good on paper, but in reality they're a bore.

• Like 1

Here's where I stand right now on all of this:

- Not sure if I'm gonna buy this double night combo for the upcoming tour. They'll be passing here through may 2023. Still not sure;

- Don't like the modern artwork approach Metallica had been opting for since Hardwire. IMO, they should have a more vintage aesthetic, image-wise;

- First singles: The Day That Never Comes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lux Aeterna >>>>> Hardwired

4 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Here's where I stand right now on all of this:

- Not sure if I'm gonna buy this double night combo for the upcoming tour. They'll be passing here through may 2023. Still not sure;

there's a limited amount of single tickets on january 20. i'll try my luck then as well.

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 2:42 PM, Tom2112 said:

Nah there last two records had some incredible songs AND the releases were done incredibly well. Gnr should take a leaf outta their book because 1. Gnr fumbled the release of their 2 singles. 2. Both singles are a bit shit and nobody was blown away by either. 3. When you release a song have a proper fucking video to go with it on the day... Don't be so facking lazy.

Metallica always get attention when they do anything gnr are seemingly happy making loads of cash but nobody is thinking about them or excited by them. 

I agree that gnr had a lazy approach and appearing to not giving a shit with there new music. Not a fan of M's last two releases, but to each there own I guess. Heard the new M song today on the radio, and I have to take back what I said, it's kinda cool. Sat back and said who's this lol, and it was the new song.

20 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I think the song St.Anger is better than Hardwired, for sure. Not sure on where it stands against Lux Aeterna, though.

I know it's not a popular opinion (even JH seems to hate it), but for me St. Anger is the far better song. It at least has something interesting to say, presents an interesting concept, is emotionally congruent and has a nice structure.

I don't care for Lux Aeterna at all.

Edited by lilacmess
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...