Metallica - new song released, new album and world rour announced \m/

-Jaro-

These last three albums that have come out over a space of 15 years all bleed into one. He even rhymes suicide with cyanide and all I get is deja vu. At least they haven’t done The Unforgiven IV.

This is alright but who cares? They’ve become Iron Maiden and tracks from the previous album get swapped out of the setlist for slightly rewritten ones from the new one.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:51 AM, Nicklord said:

It would be much better if that guitar tone was better or even decent. It sounds so bad

It didn’t really bother me. I mean… I’m 100% a vintage and lo-fi mix lover so this mix certainly isn’t to my liking but it kinda sounds like Hardwired did, doesn’t it? And coming from Death Magnetic, which sounded absolutely dreadful, and St.Anger, which I don’t even have to get into, it was a huge improvement. Metallica must probably be reslly douchy in the studio, and must not let the produced and sound engineer have any final say whatsoever cause they have unlimited budget and come out with albums that sound worse than my band’s album, which cost 2500 USD to record, mix and master. This nothing about the sound here impacted me positively or negatively. I wish it sounded less modern and digital, but, well… it’s Metallica. It’s barely a band at this point. 

On 1/20/2023 at 9:15 AM, Stay.Of.Execution said:

At least it has a decent solo compared to lux.  The part after that is pretty cool

Hetfields voice has been pretty boring for years 

What bothers me the most is Hetfield’s lyrical themes over the last three albums. Dude completely lost touch with the themes present in Metallica classics from the firdst four albums. Hardwired had a track about fame, for god’s sake. I get this is their life now but man, ir gets so boring. Suicide/Cyanide for the 100th time in a row, "annihilation" has become a staple in almost every song. 

On 1/20/2023 at 11:37 AM, Stress Fracture said:

These last three albums that have come out over a space of 15 years all bleed into one. He even rhymes suicide with cyanide and all I get is deja vu. At least they haven’t done The Unforgiven IV.

This is alright but who cares? They’ve become Iron Maiden and tracks from the previous album get swapped out of the setlist for slightly rewritten ones from the new one.

I get the "slot for new songs + greatest hits" approach veteran bands use, as it must get harder and harder to fit the new songs into the setlist and, frankly, it is pathetic for a band to tour a new album and only play one or two songs off that album, like some bands do. There’s basically no way out of this. Iron Maiden usually swaps a few of the older songs to make things more dynamic and Metallica came up with this two-nights-in-each-city idea for this tour.

19 hours ago, BeingBoring said:

I liked Lux. The lyrics to Screaming Suicide made me roll my eyes, but musically I liked it.

I feel like everything james has written since St.Anger has made me cringe in some level 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I don't even know why Metallica bother to record new material. Most people go to their shows to hear the classics. They at least should put some effort into it. Iron Maiden goes big or go home with their new songs. Metallica has been boring for a long time. 

it's what they do. I think there are many, many Metallica fans who are very interested in new material from Metallica. Personally, I don't think their albums are comparable in quality to their classic stuff and they lost a lot of the inspiration they once had, but if I was like a hardcore Metallica fan I would have liked them to keep releasing albums and their fans seem to mostly like the post ST. Anger releases except of maybe Lulu.

Edited by Rovim

9 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I don't even know why Metallica bother to record new material. Most people go to their shows to hear the classics. They at least should put some effort into it. Iron Maiden goes big or go home with their new songs. Metallica has been boring for a long time. 

I think it's way better to have a few good songs in the midst of many forgettable ones, like in Metallica's, Megadeth's and Iron Maiden's case, than to have nothing at all, like GnR. In the case of Metallica, I think they had a very good strategy, with basically one new album per decade. That was about enough. This album just came out of nowhere, probably because of the pandemic. I mean... there's a handful of very solid songs off DM and Hardwired. Those were worth all the mediocrity they're surrounded by.

• 4 weeks later...

These are very forgettable songs imo. Not abominable like St. Anger, but still not very good

There are few bands as big as Metallica that struggle with production like they do. Lars’ drums still sound very amateurish and fuzzy. Sounds like they just went into a DI for everything, pressed record, and balanced the volume levels a bit. St Anger is notorious for having horrible production, Death Magnetic wasn’t great, HWtSD was okay, and all 3 of these songs just come across as almost like demoes or decently produced home recordings

Hetfields voice is fine but not very exciting. Might be the melodies being kind of meh. Instruments are fine but none of the songs’ specific parts are jumping out to me

• Like 1