The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

Now would seem to be the time to drum up some publicity for the poorly selling US run with a new song, press release, etc. 

I wonder if there is frustration from the promoters (Live Nation) about that? I would be surprised if they haven't leant on management a bit about GNR doing something to promote these shows, and a new song, whether people like it or not, would draw attention to the tour one way or another. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, DeNfr said:

OK sorry for the off-topic question :

is anyone knows from which GNR show is the animated gif of Sir Danny's signature? 

I’ve tried searching YouTube but to no avail. I’m almost certain it’s during Patience. Was roughly 10 years ago so I can’t remember the show, maybe someone can shed light on my sig gif? I would like to watch the video of them “mocking” Ashba again after all these years 😅

• Haha 1

Thirty years ago he would complain about children being raped.  Given all the publicity there's been about that for a while now, he's not going to say anything whatsoever.  That's their problem, just shut up and take it.  He'll just hang out with rich elites and do whatever it is they do.

15 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

Feel like I’ve entered a twilight zone right now.. 

Well, at this point only the crazy ones remain. The rest has accepted nothing is going to happen (no new GNR music).

I was hopeful Perhaps would be released, but they're taking their time. Something went wrong. And with Duff and Slash releasing solo albums... I don't know anything, but it doesn't feel right at all.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Yeah but I think that’s the difference between ourselves and Axl, and I think it’s also the difference between Axl and Slash & Duff: I don’t think new music excites Axl. It clearly excites Slash and Duff, which is why they keep releasing new records even though the vast majority of people don’t really care. They like making music, and that’s cool. I’d like to think that if music was still my full time job, I’d be the same way.

Axl, however, strikes me as being exactly like Billy Joel: he loves performing and is quite happy with his back catalogue, he just doesn’t feel the need to create anymore. And that’s cool too.

My bullshit armchair psychoanalysis of Axl is that the relevancy was a big part of the allure to him. Axl in 1991 was on top of the world and, more importantly, he captured so much of the culture’s fascination. In so many ways, Axl was Eminem before there was an Eminem: a midwestern white boy who had been kicked around by life and thus was cursed with an overwhelming amount of rage and, blessed with an electric wit and a knack for social observation, directed that rage into venomous, aggressive, thought provoking, and beautiful poetry. They were the dregs of society that somehow became its focal point and, once they got on top, they started swinging back at the culture - dissecting and mocking anyone and anything that had anything to say about them on albums like the Use Your Illusions and The Eminem Show. It must have been exhilarating. Spin Magazine writes a bad review? Here’s Get In The Ring. The Tipper Gores of the time had something nasty to say about his music? Here’s My World, where he taunts the audience and says “guess what I’m doing now…” over a track unlike anything on the album or anything Guns N’ Roses had done before. And everyone *was* guessing. They talked it about it for *years*: what was Chinese Democracy? What is he doing, locked in that studio for all these years?

But, like with Eminem, the culture changes and moves on. Eminem can’t shock you anymore. He’s 50 and leads a quiet life outside of the public eye. That’s why his music went from being relevant to his recent output simply being rhyming words with no apparent meaning or message. Howard Stern was also the subject of the public’s scrutiny and fascination: once that went away, he became an only slightly edgier version of Ellen on the radio. It’s boring. And Axl? He’s lost the public’s attention and also much of his mystique: the question turned from “what is he doing?” to “does anyone still care?” I do think that matters to him. It’s kinda like a gambler who isn’t satisfied with a small bet - he only gets his rush when there’s big money on the line.

It’s also worth pointing out that Axl, by all accounts of people who work with him, seems like a much mellower, more well rounded, and happier individual than he was then. He certainly seems significantly happier onstage. Every fan who meets him seems to have nothing but nice things to say. He’s 61. He’s conquered the world a few times over. He might just be…content with his life. I sure would be.

Chinese Democracy was a statement. So much of the album boils down to one general theme: fuck you for doubting me and leaving me. Whether that’s an ex-girlfriend like Stephanie Seymour, his former band mates, or the culture itself which turned him into the punchline of a joke. But beyond that, I don’t think he’s got anything left to say.

Talking of poetry... Very poetically put...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Yeah but I think that’s the difference between ourselves and Axl, and I think it’s also the difference between Axl and Slash & Duff: I don’t think new music excites Axl. It clearly excites Slash and Duff, which is why they keep releasing new records even though the vast majority of people don’t really care. They like making music, and that’s cool. I’d like to think that if music was still my full time job, I’d be the same way.

Axl, however, strikes me as being exactly like Billy Joel: he loves performing and is quite happy with his back catalogue, he just doesn’t feel the need to create anymore. And that’s cool too.

My bullshit armchair psychoanalysis of Axl is that the relevancy was a big part of the allure to him. Axl in 1991 was on top of the world and, more importantly, he captured so much of the culture’s fascination. In so many ways, Axl was Eminem before there was an Eminem: a midwestern white boy who had been kicked around by life and thus was cursed with an overwhelming amount of rage and, blessed with an electric wit and a knack for social observation, directed that rage into venomous, aggressive, thought provoking, and beautiful poetry. They were the dregs of society that somehow became its focal point and, once they got on top, they started swinging back at the culture - dissecting and mocking anyone and anything that had anything to say about them on albums like the Use Your Illusions and The Eminem Show. It must have been exhilarating. Spin Magazine writes a bad review? Here’s Get In The Ring. The Tipper Gores of the time had something nasty to say about his music? Here’s My World, where he taunts the audience and says “guess what I’m doing now…” over a track unlike anything on the album or anything Guns N’ Roses had done before. And everyone *was* guessing. They talked it about it for *years*: what was Chinese Democracy? What is he doing, locked in that studio for all these years?

But, like with Eminem, the culture changes and moves on. Eminem can’t shock you anymore. He’s 50 and leads a quiet life outside of the public eye. That’s why his music went from being relevant to his recent output simply being rhyming words with no apparent meaning or message. Howard Stern was also the subject of the public’s scrutiny and fascination: once that went away, he became an only slightly edgier version of Ellen on the radio. It’s boring. And Axl? He’s lost the public’s attention and also much of his mystique: the question turned from “what is he doing?” to “does anyone still care?” I do think that matters to him. It’s kinda like a gambler who isn’t satisfied with a small bet - he only gets his rush when there’s big money on the line.

It’s also worth pointing out that Axl, by all accounts of people who work with him, seems like a much mellower, more well rounded, and happier individual than he was then. He certainly seems significantly happier onstage. Every fan who meets him seems to have nothing but nice things to say. He’s 61. He’s conquered the world a few times over. He might just be…content with his life. I sure would be.

Chinese Democracy was a statement. So much of the album boils down to one general theme: fuck you for doubting me and leaving me. Whether that’s an ex-girlfriend like Stephanie Seymour, his former band mates, or the culture itself which turned him into the punchline of a joke. But beyond that, I don’t think he’s got anything left to say.

"To save what we had"...isn't that song, all about trying to find a way to go on as a band and save what was salvageable...especially if its foundations began as the band was imploding or just after...

Yea...well, in life or death, we definately will get more new GNR tracks, or rather "finished" ones, is better put...as they're out there in a vault now...going by the last 15 years, Axl probably has 3 giants guarding that vault these days...

Edited by colonizedmind

8 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I feel like if attention and "relevancy" was a big motivator for Axl, he would have done something to try to stay relevant... literally anything at all. Instead he spent nearly 20 years keeping up the most uncommercial, avoidant, and hermit-like behavior I've seen for anyone famous. He rarely did interviews, wouldn't promote his projects, rarely made any public statements that weren't through his lawyers or employees, and purposely disappeared from the public eye for years at a time. Yet he was still working on music and insisting that he still wanted to release things, while doing everything in his power to avoid public scrutiny. That's not the behavior of someone who thrives under people's attention.

I do agree that Axl probably doesn't feel like he has anything left to say musically, and that is probably the cause of why he's lost his motivation to continue on.

Edited by meadsoap
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Now would seem to be the time to drum up some publicity for the poorly selling US run with a new song, press release, etc. 

I wonder if there is frustration from the promoters (Live Nation) about that? I would be surprised if they haven't leant on management a bit about GNR doing something to promote these shows, and a new song, whether people like it or not, would draw attention to the tour one way or another. 

Releasing one leftover new song from 20+ years ago wont be pumping people up to attend a tour.

Better to have a full new released album and tour off that like most bands do.

We don’t know.  All of this crap may have been decided years ago.  All any of us can and will do is speculate.  I just turned 41.  I hope I’m of sound mind as an elderly person to hear what gets released in his after-life lol.  For some reason I doubt anything would get released even then. 

2 hours ago, UYI4 said:

We don’t know.  All of this crap may have been decided years ago.  All any of us can and will do is speculate.  I just turned 41.  I hope I’m of sound mind as an elderly person to hear what gets released in his after-life lol.  For some reason I doubt anything would get released even then. 

What if Axl lives to be 100 years old and we die before him? :shrugs::lol:

4 hours ago, vloors said:

Releasing one leftover new song from 20+ years ago wont be pumping people up to attend a tour.

Better to have a full new released album and tour off that like most bands do.

No,very true, but it would at least generate a small bit of publicity for the tour. You'd think with salesas they are they'd be going on a media blitz. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

Expect a few last minute tweets....sorry, I mean X's! 

"GNR Fam, we'll be F'N rocking at the *insert aggressive multinational corporation* Stadium on Monday. Get on the Nightrain for tickets" 

39 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

It's gone very quiet again after there was some smoke. 

Drum roll please.......PLANS CHANGED!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Do we want a new album from this lineup with current Axl vocals?

Or are we wanting reskinned chinese era songs with Slash and Duff?

If they do another album, will Frank be on drums?

Not really.

Purely from a quality of material standpoint, I believe CD2, as it existed proper to the NITL lineup, would be the best possible release. The only better option would be that, with all of Bucket’s parts restored (removing Bumblefoot when present).

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Do we want a new album from this lineup with current Axl vocals?

Or are we wanting reskinned chinese era songs with Slash and Duff?

If they do another album, will Frank be on drums?

Opinions seem to differ with that question but for me, utilise the very best of Chinese with Slash and Duff as it features vocals from Axl at the very top of his game. The Village Sessions offered insight that there was a lot of great material to work with if they ever were completed for another great GNR album.

• Like 1