The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

I hope for at least an EP - maybe get the General out there at the same time. 

Imagine listening to the General this week - seems unbelievable and probably is. 

Regarding the General: I hope they still use the intro with a real orchestra and its a 6+ minute song, i really like the epics and Slash alluded some of the new songs as epic (but of course could be interpreted in other ways) HS and Absurd is a bit simple to my ears, we need those songs too, but what I really want is some epics like TWAT, Perhaps etc..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, betterman said:

Imagine listening to the General this week - seems unbelievable and probably is. 

Regarding the General: I hope they still use the intro with a real orchestra and its a 6+ minute song, i really like the epics and Slash alluded some of the new songs as epic (but of course could be interpreted in other ways) HS and Absurd is a bit simple to my ears, we need those songs too, but what I really want is some epics like TWAT, Perhaps etc..

I used to imagine CD2 opening with the orchestra intro and being at least 2 or 3 minutes before the song kicks in. 

Like HS the song has probably been simplified and shortened. 

6 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Tomorrow we find out if Perhaps is a standalone or in support of something larger. Trust me bro

It's our standalone release to tide us over for the next 2 years until the next single. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

28 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I doubt The General ever had a 3 minute intro. The instrumental that they used to have as an intro to GNR shows was most likely just orchestra that you hear in the background of the song The General. So it was used as an intro to GNR shows, but there's no reason to believe that the whole instrumental was ever meant to be an intro to the song The General. The so  called intro that we've heard is most likely just something that you can hear in the background of the The General. You can actually hear the orchestra in the background of the cellphone clip that we've heard.

So when the song is released and it doesn't have a long-ass intro, it doesn't automatically mean that the song has been simplified. There's no evidence that the song ever had a 3 minute intro.

I think it was Axl himself, who said "you might have already heard it elsewhere", which led people to believe (myself included) that it's part of the General, when he was asked about that particular song. 

55 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

I think it was Axl himself, who said "you might have already heard it elsewhere", which led people to believe (myself included) that it's part of the General, when he was asked about that particular song. 

After that, if I remember correctly, it was someone on twitter (Fernando?) who then confirmed that the orchestral concert intro was part of The General.

1 hour ago, ZODIAC said:

It IS The General. There's no doubt about that. But there's no reason to believe that it's an INTRO to The General. Rather than a 3 minute intro, it's more likely orchestral backgroundmusic in the song The General.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

It IS The General. There's no doubt about that. But there's no reason to believe that it's an INTRO to The General. Rather than a 3 minute intro, it's more likely orchestral backgroundmusic in the song The General.

In the 2010 cell phone recording, you can hear parts of the intro after some guitars before it. As others have suggested, it probably is throughout the song. 

5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

In the 2010 cell phone recording, you can hear parts of the intro after some guitars before it. As others have suggested, it probably is throughout the song. 

Yeah, I mentioned the cellphone clip earlier as evidence of the fact that the orchestration plays in the background throughout the song. My point is that there's no evidence that The General ever had a 3 minute intro.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, betterman said:

If they cared, there's no reason 8 or 9 of these tracks couldn't be worked up to decent level and compliment Absurd and HS for Chinese Leftovers LP. I mean if they had about 6 or so to go, coupled with mysterious studio visits (some) of late...hope they've managed to finish a few more and are gonna put out something with a bit more substance! Matter what anyone says, we're soo starved, we'd for sure lap that up, big time! Not ideal, but could be a fun album...if there's a couple of good long 'uns on there...🤞

41 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Yea...I guess but the bed of it, used for shows back in the day, definately feels like a version that is an intro, rather than a compliment to the rest of the song...it's probably the rough run through of elements as an instrumental...sounded so brooding though and cool. Imagine if we hear it in 2023...Be the most exciting time since 2008, I'd imagine...

50 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Just had a great conversation trying to explain to a music fan why I'm excited about GNR releasing one song, that I've already heard. 

A futile task trying to explain this stuff to people! 

Keep Fighting the good fight...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I doubt The General ever had a 3 minute intro. The instrumental that they used to have as an intro to GNR shows was most likely just orchestra that you hear in the background of the song The General. So it was used as an intro to GNR shows, but there's no reason to believe that the whole instrumental was ever meant to be an intro to the song The General. The so  called intro that we've heard is most likely just something that you can hear in the background of the The General. You can actually hear the orchestra in the background of the cellphone clip that we've heard.

So when the song is released and it doesn't have a long-ass intro, it doesn't automatically mean that the song has been simplified. There's no evidence that the song ever had a 3 minute intro.

Agreed.

It would be interesting to know if the orchestra is still intact in a release. I mean, with Slash and Duff, the mix of the CD-era songs were definitively more straight forward, with less layers all around. 

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Agreed.

It would be interesting to know if the orchestra is still intact in a release. I mean, with Slash and Duff, the mix of the CD-era songs were definitively more straight forward, with less layers all around. 

I doubt they would scrap the orchestration from Soul Monster, Thyme, The General, and Seven after having Marco Beltrami work on them, even if it was 20 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I doubt they would scrap the orchestration from Soul Monster, Thyme, The General, and Seven after having Marco Beltrami work on them, even if it was 20 years ago.

Agree! HS and Absurd is more straight in your face rocksongs to begin with. Axl wouldnt let them destroy or take away the grandiousness of for example the General or Seven, remember that Duff and Slash played on November rain, Estranged etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea...I guess but the bed of it, used for shows back in the day, definately feels like a version that is an intro, rather than a compliment to the rest of the song...it's probably the rough run through of elements as an instrumental...sounded so brooding though and cool. Imagine if we hear it in 2023...Be the most exciting time since 2008, I'd imagine...

Keep Fighting the good fight...

Haha! By 'fight' you of course mean 'boring the shit out of people'. I can, and will, carry on doing that. With pleasure. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Agreed.

Maybe they need to pay Marco again and Paul! The times run out 😂

Just now, allwaystired said:

Haha! By 'fight' you of course mean 'boring the shit out of people'. I can, and will, carry on doing that. With pleasure. 

Life too short, to be exciting..

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Maybe they need to pay Marco again and Paul! The times run out 😂

Life too short, to be exciting..

I'd actually be really dissapointed if those strings are gone. That's some of my favourite Guns music that string intro for the 2006-11 shows before they dropped it for the Dexter theme. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I'd actually be really dissapointed if those strings are gone. That's some of my favourite Guns music that string intro for the 2006-11 shows before they dropped it for the Dexter theme. 

I seem to remember they had Splitting the Atom as the intro during the show I saw in 2012...

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

I seem to remember they had Splitting the Atom as the intro during the show I saw in 2012...

They alternated between intros for TV shows that Axl watched (Splitting the Atom was the intro for the 2011 show Luck).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Tomorrow we find out if Perhaps is a standalone or in support of something larger. Trust me bro

Where do these cockbrain theories comes from? Perhaps is one of the 1-4 more ChiDem songs we're expecting per Slash's comments on what is happening regarding new music. 

• Haha 1