09/20/23 - Biloxi, MS - Mississippi Coast Coliseum

downzy

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

Instead, people left early because it was long, a school/work night, and they had already gotten Sweet Child O' Mine, which is basically the casual fans money's worth. 

With the band starting so early in recent years I think it's a shame so many people leave early. I get having to work, driving home and all, but it's not like they play until 2:00 AM or so. (I remember one GNR show I went to lasted past 1 AM, that's unheard of today.) They should just open with SCOM so actual fans could celebrate the rest of the show without all these innocent bystanders. :lol:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

We seemed to spend a lot of time up until the eve of the US tour saying the sales were an absolute bomb scare but no mention basically since and most dates look full if not 90%+....how so? Do they hit the streets on the morning and just gave away a bunch to hot chicks?

…I’m not seeing this 90% sold anywhere except non-stadiums in the US.  The smaller rooms are certainly full, yes. And they utilize both modeling agencies and “modeling” agencies to fill seats and make it look not full.

lol here’s a video from 2016…

https://www.tmz.com/watch/0-qywd0scf/

this is a very music biz thing, many bands do it. But gnr always does it in markets that don’t sell well..

56 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

That's it settled then, they should do what other bands do and play the only #1 they have LAST. SC as closer. PC as opener....happy folks?

They should definitely not do that.  PC has the right energy and celebratory mood for the closer.  Plus, having the last lyric be "take me home" kind of fits the end before Axl's "thank you, good night."

I'm starting to think that perhaps either you were in a rather bad section or me and the large group of my friends/ family that attended (which were directly across the arena from me) were in really good sections.   Also the pit area from my vantage point looked like they were having a good time.   I couldn't really see if those people in the floor seats behind pit were energized or not.   I tried noticing, I just couldn't see them well enough.  

I will admit one thing for sure, it was an older crowd than all the other Guns shows I've attended.  

And you are right, by the time the last few songs went on,  prolly a quarter (maybe) of the people were headed home.   Just from what I remember looking at the arena as a whole.   You could just see some empty seats mixed in with the crowd.   Mostly on the floor.   Or at least from what I could see. 

One definite beef i had with the venue though.... why so many floor seats? Perhaps it's not the venue and just how they set up these concerts now.   But lower prices GA tickets on the floor would probably provide a more energetic crowd as a whole.   There aren't many people posting 1500+ for pit.   The TM price for those for seats were dumb as well.   

I love this band and saw my 25th show in Biloxi last night.  But that doesn’t mean that I can’t be objective here.   I agree with at @KeyserSoze  Axl must have the sound engineer adjusting his mic volume to hide his voice during the rough patches.  Axl would lash-out and someone would get fired  if it were 1992 and what happened with Axl’s vocals last night occurred during a performance.   

it wasn’t just Axl’s vocals though.  I felt that the guitar volume levels were poorly monitored which led to too loud or too soft solos throughout the night.  Nothing seemed mixed properly.  I was surprised to hear a previous poster mention that he heard a sound check.  Maybe the sound guys were so  busy trying to hide Axl’s mistakes they forgot to monitor the volume levels of the two guitars.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • PERHAPS 1

On 9/20/2023 at 9:53 PM, Blackstar said:

They were played. From HTGTH:

Setlist: It’s So Easy, Bad Obsession, Chinese Democracy, Slither, Mr. Brownstone, Pretty Tied Up, Rumble/Welcome To The Jungle, Hard Skool, Double Talkin’ Jive, You Could Be Mine, Perhaps, Reckless Life, Absurd, Rocket Queen, Live And Let Die, T.V. Eye, Don’t Cry, Down On The Farm, Estranged, Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, Anything Goes, Civil War/(Voodoo Child), Band Introductions, Slash Solo/Sweet Child O’ Mine, November Rain, Wichita Lineman, Madagascar, Coma, People Get Ready/Patience, My Michelle, Nightrain, Paradise City

Absolutely amazing set, honestly I'd only want to hear like 4 other songs that they have played on this leg added in. (Shadow, S.O.D., Prostitute, Locomotive) but major props for the shaking up this leg, cool to see Knockin much earlier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eddie Money said:

I love this band and saw my 25th show in Biloxi last night.  But that doesn’t mean that I can’t be objective here.   I agree with at @KeyserSoze  Axl must have the sound engineer adjusting his mic volume to hide his voice during the rough patches.  Axl would lash-out and someone would get fired  if it were 1992 and what happened with Axl’s vocals last night occurred during a performance.   

it wasn’t just Axl’s vocals though.  I felt that the guitar volume levels were poorly monitored which led to too loud or too soft solos throughout the night.  Nothing seemed mixed properly.  I was surprised to hear a previous poster mention that he heard a sound check.  Maybe the sound guys were so  busy trying to hide Axl’s mistakes they forgot to monitor the volume levels of the two guitars.  

I don't think they are hiding his vocals, I think when he sings weaker they raise the level so it is audible.  Then when he goes from weak to strong suddenly it is way too loud.  This happens when he switches from falsetto to baritone during the end of Coma all the time.

I wonder if somebody with knowledge of live audio equipment can determine what he fiddles with when he turns knobs on his IEM box?  Is it just an adjustment in what he hears or is it an adjustment to his mic?  I noticed watching a recent video of Aerosmith performing Dream On that Steven Tyler does the same kind of fiddling in the middle of the song.

54 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

I wonder if somebody with knowledge of live audio equipment can determine what he fiddles with when he turns knobs on his IEM box?  Is it just an adjustment in what he hears or is it an adjustment to his mic?  I noticed watching a recent video of Aerosmith performing Dream On that Steven Tyler does the same kind of fiddling in the middle of the song.

That thing is to adjust his monitor (= how loud he hears himself and the ratio of what other instruments he hears along with his own vocals). Usually this is done during soundcheck and more or less set for the rest of the night with minor adjustments according to venue resonance changing with audience inside. If Axl would attend soundchecks it would be much easier for the soundboard to give him a proper and consistant monitor mix and and a better front mix too. Has nothing to do with how loud he sings, this is what compression (much like for guitars) was invented for but compression is useless if you have to adjust it constantly during the show. Think Slash playing his guitar solo in the middle of SCOM song and giving his guitar solo a frequency boost for just that one particular part to stand out, then blending in with the rest again as soon as he's done with his solo. Impossible to do that with a singer who switches from baritone frequency to falsetto frequency constantly but never attends soundcheck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

With Steven, I’m not convinced the scream at the end of dream on isn’t prerecorded and played back at the point. He always messes with his IEM right before he’s about to hit that scream. Also the interesting placement of the fog machines going off just as he’s hitting that note as to almost disguise the fact that he’s not singing live at that exact moment. 

• Like 1

Not sure about now regarding Steven Tyler, but we were against stage when they were here for Jazzfest a few years back and he was singing that scream in dream on live.   I love being next to stage when I can, cuz you can hear the singers actually singing into the mic.   Gives you an idea of how good (or bad) they are. 

Sucks cuz I can't see myself buying pit tickets for any show at the current prices, so I only get to be that close at festivals and getting there when the gates open,  run to the front and park myself there ALL day.   Makes for A LONNNG day of holding your spot. But I'm a Mardi Gras vet, so I'm used to it. 

1 hour ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

With Steven, I’m not convinced the scream at the end of dream on isn’t prerecorded and played back at the point. He always messes with his IEM right before he’s about to hit that scream. Also the interesting placement of the fog machines going off just as he’s hitting that note as to almost disguise the fact that he’s not singing live at that exact moment. 

Jon’s been doing that with the high note in Living on a Prayer since 2013. Granted, with how dogshit he is live, he really should lip sync the whole show.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I just watched a video of Hard Skool (it's mislabeled as Pretty Tied Up and that's why I watched it, otherwise I generally skip HS). What a mess it was after the breakdown :lol:

It also seems that although Axl sings the aye's live, there's also a backing track playing.

I thought that but looking at other performances this year it seems like dizzy sings the other ayes but it sounds like it's from the studio

• PERHAPS 1

10 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Jon’s been doing that with the high note in Living on a Prayer since 2013. Granted, with how dogshit he is live, he really should lip sync the whole show.

Depends on the show. He was doing it more recently than 2013. Don’t recall it much back then. I’ve seen Jon perform live more times than I will mention here 😂

1 hour ago, kiwiguns said:

You are correct. He is simply adjusting the volume on his IEM to allow him to hear himself higher or lower in his own ears. 

IEM technology has grown in the last few years more so around the actual IEMs themselves in terms of sound quality and clarity. Most still use Shure wireless systems in terms of transmitting the signal from the transmitters to the receiver body pack. 

GN’R use Jerry Harvey Audio IEMs. 

Jerry Harvey have solely focused on the audio technology in the earphones themselves and when you use Jerry Harvey Audio IEMs the sound is amazing. 

In relation to the guitars. 

It's very common now, for the cabinet amps to be placed in a roadcase with sound proofing material packed around the cabinet with a microphone inside and then the road case is placed underneath the stage. 

The front of house team are actually hearing the guitar audio directly via a microphone in their own in ear monitors, not via the front stage monitors or PA system. 

They aren't hearing what we can hear front of stage as fans, and they are constantly having to change volume levels in the mix more so with two guitar players changing from lead to rhythm between themselves constantly. 

In relation to soundchecks.

Soundchecking in an empty venue will not simulate having people and the noise those people create inside or infront of the stage. 

Sound travels and sound also deflects. 

From my experience as a monitor engineer, you can soundcheck and have all your levels and settings set, with everything sounding perfect. But you always know your hands are going to be busy all night on the monitor board readjusting those settings when there are 8,000 to 30,000 people within the venue. 

I actually don't preset or label any settings after soundcheck, as its only going to change once the band is onstage.. 

Ya know what’s crazy? All these sound issues now were nowhere to be seen or heard in the 80s and 90s so ask yourself what’s changed. 

9 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Ya know what’s crazy? All these sound issues now were nowhere to be seen or heard in the 80s and 90s so ask yourself what’s changed. 

Technology has come a long way. Back then concerts were much louder and hearing damage was more likely. It's been a while since I heard a fully saturated amplifier in concert and I think some of the younger folks might never heard one cranked up to 11 in person. I don't know if Angus Young still does it like that, but I know he used to. No booster, no distortion pedal, nothing - just sheer volume pushing the amp into overdrive. The dynamics are incredible, but so is the loss of frequency in your ears. If you ever saw AC/DC back in the day you know what I'm talking about and probably remember your ears ringing for days after. Today not all but lots of it is digital modulation instead of analog, easier to mix and often resulting in better frequency separation and cleaner tone but due to the nature of digital compression also lower volume and less dynamics, but it's also a bit more healthy on the ears. For my liking, GNR are way too quiet in concert these days. They sound alright but they sounded best when it was all done a bit more old school.

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Nice to see Slash mingling....who is that ring dude? Fan or someone should know? He knows the way to Slash's heart....One night black tux and dinner Axl....those are all the rage these days and he'd be a fucking amazing host and Q&A dream....who'd pay up to go to a dinner, meet n greet and Q&A with Axl?

Edited by colonizedmind

Just now, colonizedmind said:

Nice to see Slash mingling....who is that ring dude? Fan or someone should know? He knows the way to Slash's heart....One night black tux and dinner Axl....those are all the rage these days and he'd be a fucking amazing host and Q&A dream....who'd pay up to go to a dinner, meet n greet and Q&A with Axl?

ring dude is Jason Momoa, actor. The ring clip is not new btw.

• Like 1