07/22/23 - Athens, GR - Olympic Stadium

downzy

1 hour ago, nickzark said:

Guys here in Greek we hear mainly Greek  music . That means that 50.000 was super . Iron maiden had less before one year . And thing that there was 40 Celsius hot. Many bought tickets and stayed home . And local myth ( found no evidence ) 1993 there was 15.000 people only . So it made yesterdays concert  a super hit . Amazing 

Imagine thinking that 50K was a failure (like how some posters were suggesting pages back)...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dan1992 said:

I was at the front it did sound like the opening keys to Perhaps. Then it could be desperation to hear something new 😂 but I was pretty convinced when I heard it then he said ‘that was just a tease’

I’m gonna take this as a positive sign that the song will come out 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I was there in 1993 and the number seems accurate as far as how many people were there with a ticket. At first, the upper decks were all empty and there were lots of empty seats in the lower ones (not even the arena was full). Then the organizers let people without tickets in and it was about half full. That show was a failure, mostly because tickets were extremely expensive for the time, but also because Metallica were playing here (for the first time as well) about a month later in a significantly smaller venue, with lower ticket prices and a strong opening act (The Cult).

Also another factor was the national high school greek exams that were happening at the same time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Definitely the best crowd on this Euro tour. It still wasn't Paris 17 (I don't think that'll ever happen again with guns) but it was pretty cool. First time seeing pyrotechnics at a GNR show which was pretty cool and very fitting especially for Jungle. Some asshole pointed a Laserpointer to the stage a couple times from way back but apparently the security got him and threw him out

I had hoped for a longer show than it was. Not complaining about three hours, but still. Seems like there had been a curfew after all since they didn't leave after nightrain. Axl also didn't talk as much as in other shows this Tour. Felt like the heat was very exhausting for them. 

The security was amazing though, taking care of people in the front row and constantly handing out water. 

7 shows went by fast. Very sad this is all over now. The great depression will probably hit once I'm home. This has been an absolute blast the past 7 or so weeks. 

Seeing GnR 7 times in 7 different countries! Either you are very rich, or have the most relaxed boss in the world!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

7 shows went by fast. Very sad this is all over now. The great depression will probably hit once I'm home. This has been an absolute blast the past 7 or so weeks. 

You must have had a blast.  Most I did in the early 90’s was five. And yeah, getting back to reality sucks.  Still some great memories to look back on.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

According to Ticketmaster, a couple of hours before show time there were about 700 tickets left (about 300 in the arena and the rest in sections 29 (expensive tickets), 6 and 30. So one would expect that attendance would be at least 60,000-65,000 (maximum capacity of the stadium for concerts with the usual stage setup must be about 75,000, judging from the tickets sold for Madonna's show a few years back).

2023_010.png

But apparently not all sections that appeared to be unavailable were really sold out, especially the cheapest ones (yellow and purple). In pictures and videos taken at the beginning of the GN'R set those sections looked empty, although in videos taken later in the show they seemed more crowded (but still half empty). I'd been checking the website constantly since tickets went on sale (because I didn't know if would eventually make it to the show) and the yellow sections never appeared to be available (some of the purple ones appeared only once). I find it hard to believe that they were sold out within the first day. Apparently Ticketmaster wanted to push the more expensive tickets.

Greek news sites today estimate attendance at 40,000, but from the videos it looks it was bigger, maybe 50,000.

It should be noted that this is a very big venue for Greek standards and only a handful of acts have sold it out. I think that only U2 and Madonna have as far as international artists go.

Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Madonna, U2. 
Coldplay will sold out it too most likely and they have 2 nights scheduled but only one announced for now 

2 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Definitely the best crowd on this Euro tour. It still wasn't Paris 17 (I don't think that'll ever happen again with guns) but it was pretty cool. First time seeing pyrotechnics at a GNR show which was pretty cool and very fitting especially for Jungle. Some asshole pointed a Laserpointer to the stage a couple times from way back but apparently the security got him and threw him out

I had hoped for a longer show than it was. Not complaining about three hours, but still. Seems like there had been a curfew after all since they didn't leave after nightrain. Axl also didn't talk as much as in other shows this Tour. Felt like the heat was very exhausting for them. 

The security was amazing though, taking care of people in the front row and constantly handing out water. 

Yeah I drank at least 8 bottles of water 🤣 

Hope you had a great time my friend and also enjoying the cities you’ve visited. There was no encore, the heat was exhausting but still gave it all , specially Axl. Dude was so awesome! 

did you have pizza after all? 

Edited by thetiesthatbind
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, thetiesthatbind said:

did you have pizza after all? 

I did. And a pretty good one too.

20 minutes ago, elektra_reghaired said:

😃

And it was a great pleasure to meet @Stay.Of.Execution at the show. He is such a kind guy. Thank you for your company at the show, man. I hope we will meet again.

Dito and you're welcome. Hope you had a safe trip back. We'll meet on the next tour

• Like 4

15 hours ago, elektra_reghaired said:

The opening act The Last International was awesome. I hadn't heard anything from their opus before the last night, but I think I became a fan 😃

Yes they're a very good band, and put on a great live show !

Thanks for the review.

• Like 1

Glad it went ahead but usually for an end of leg they play a longer set but I think the heat was a factor (only human even all the (blowing) fans in the world) and it probably affected Axl's voice and stamina...those that were there agree? Apparently wasn't as chatty, etc...

So do we have a best show of this run? I suppose the band are pretty tight most nights, so it comes down to which was Axl's best night? Glasto? Those that went to multiple nights and were actually there should be in the best position to answer, especially those that went to 7 shows, etc...

Infact do we have a page for best performances of individual songs from the tour? We used to do that for other tours, didn't we? Not this one?

17 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Seeing GnR 7 times in 7 different countries! Either you are very rich, or have the most relaxed boss in the world!

We're in Europe. That is not such a big feat, if there is a will. I was in 6 countries seeing concerts last week. ;-)

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

We're in Europe. That is not such a big feat, if there is a will. I was in 6 countries seeing concerts last week. ;-)

From Austria i guess you can drive to lots of different countries easy enough, you must be boarded by 6? bit harder and expensive from london!