07/08/23 - Rome, IT - Circo Massimo

downzy

20 minutes ago, Sosso said:

One of the very first Rock Songs was written and played on the piano (Little Richard - Tutti Frutti). 

Who cares? The public still doesn't give much shit about keyboard players in GNR type bands. And you can protest now until your blue in the face. Still won't change the fact that no one gives a shit about Dizzy Reed. Even at the RnR HOF introduction, done by a musician, Billie Joe barely knew what to say about Dizzy.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Who cares? The public still doesn't give much shit about keyboard players in GNR type bands. And you can protest now until your blue in the face. Still won't change the fact that no one gives a shit about Dizzy Reed. Even at the RnR HOF introduction, done by a musician, Billie Joe barely knew what to say about Dizzy.

You care, you keep going on about no one caring about keyboard players in rock bands, then someone corrects you and proves that loads of people do and then you go off again on the same point. Are you Pele? At least pele was right.. you ain't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I like Dizzy. I'm sure half the people that go to GnR gigs don't give a fuck about anyone other than axl and slash. But the other half do. And if you're going to be pedantic, joe public dont give a shit about axl and slash anymore, they're hasbeens and not relevant in pop culture or modern music. But if you like GnR, more than scom and NR, then you probably know of dizzy. He's a yes man and an axl soilder that just goes with the flow. But lets not denigrate him to just some session guy who happens to have been in GnR for 33 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to setlist.fm, KOHD was dedicated to Billy White Jr. (the designer of the AFD cross logo who died recently) but I didn't hear anything like that either on the live stream last night or in the video of the full show. The only dedication I heard was to Berlusconi.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

According to setlist.fm, KOHD was dedicated to Billy White Jr. (the designer of the AFD cross logo who died recently) but I didn't hear anything like that either on the live stream last night or in the video of the full show. The only dedication I heard was to Berlusconi.

Didn't hear it either

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I like Dizzy. I'm sure half the people that go to GnR gigs don't give a fuck about anyone other than axl and slash. But the other half do. And if you're going to be pedantic, joe public dont give a shit about axl and slash anymore, they're hasbeens and not relevant in pop culture or modern music. But if you like GnR, more than scom and NR, then you probably know of dizzy. He's a yes man and an axl soilder that just goes with the flow. But lets not denigrate him to just some session guy who happens to have been in GnR for 33 years. 

Spot on bro.

You care, you keep going on about no one caring about keyboard players in rock bands, then someone corrects you and proves that loads of people do and then you go off again on the same point. Are you Pele? At least pele was right.. you ain't. 

Nah. I don't. Nothing got corrected. People don't give a shit about keyboard players in hard rock bands. Naming examples from 50 years ago in pop rock bands (which still don't mean shit other than to die hard fans) don't count. No one gives a shit about Dizzy Reed. No one considers him a proper member like Axl, Slash and Duff. None of the other members is merchandise material, which was the original issue.

But lets not denigrate him to just some session guy who happens to have been in GnR for 33 years. 

And yet he's just that. He contributed nothing that mattered in the big scheme of things. And now, I'm done.

Edited by PatrickS77

44 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I wish KOHD was dedicate to Billy White Jr... please :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meadsoap said:

The "general public" usually doesn't care about more than a couple members of the band anyways. The casual Metallica fans don't care about Rob, the casual Motley Crue fans barely ever paid attention to Mick Mars, the casual Bon Jovi fans didn't talk about anyone other than Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora...

That doesn't mean all those people aren't/weren't important to their bands. Half of GNR's biggest hits involve significant amount of piano. Having a great pianist/keyboardist like Dizzy is extremely valuable, and the other people in the band appreciate that. Trying to reduce musicianship down to a popularity contest is asinine.

While I agree with the general consensus that most people only care about one or two members of a band as is, let’s also remember that a lot of the piano parts on the albums were actually done by Axl, not Dizzy. But for some reason Axl only ever wants to do November Rain on the piano when they do it live. Even though he does it for the studio versions of This I Love, Prostitute, Catcher, Estranged, Breakdown, etc.

I think Dizzy only has writing credits on Street of Dreams, IRS, Oh My God, and Absurd. Though I guess there’s still something to be said for that, since I love all of those songs.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

While I agree with the general consensus that most people only care about one or two members of a band as is, let’s also remember that a lot of the piano parts on the albums were actually done by Axl, not Dizzy. But for some reason Axl only ever wants to do November Rain on the piano when they do it live. Even though he does it for the studio versions of This I Love, Prostitute, Catcher, Estranged, Breakdown, etc. I think Dizzy only has writing credits on Street of Dreams, IRS, Oh My God, and Absurd.

Dizzy had a more prominent role on CD (playing on every track). His input on UYI was smaller than it seems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

After Walk All Over You: "See, that's how it works up here. It's not a dictatorship. You know, sometimes it's just like, 'Hey, what song do you wanna do?'  And then, just like now, Slash goes, 'Well, let's do both of them'. See how that works?"

It seems they were going to play Patience first (because they did the People Get Ready intro) and then Walk All Over You that Slash wanted to play, but people in the crowd screamed for TWAT, so they played both that and Walk All Over You (and then Patience).

When I saw the band play in Hershey 2017 they played Whole Lotta Rosie and Axl said Frank had requested it.

It's funny how everyone here thinks they know the inner workings of the band and claim that no one likes each other, and they are just in it for the money, and it's not a real band, and Axl is a dictator when really they are just up there having a great time with each other 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe they hadn't heard about his passing yet (although the person who updated setlist.fm apparently had).

Yeah, i just mean it tribute was deserved for anyone person but Berlusconi. I was wishing it not was real. Sadly was real.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe they hadn't heard about his passing yet (although the person who updated setlist.fm apparently had).

Axl didn't know about the passing of Dan McCafferty (lead singer of Nazareth and one of Axl's idols) until days after it was announced. I don't know when Billy White Jr's was announced, but it's probably the same situation here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

but people in the crowd screamed for TWAT

Did that really happen?  I don't follow what goes on in the Axl/Slash/Duff touring that deeply and I didn't know a ChiDem song had become a recognized enough song for the crowd to ask for.

TWATs a great tune.  Happy if it's starting to get recognition as being a top-tier track

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 1