06/24/23 - Pilton, GB - Glastonbury Festival **TIMES & STREAM INFO IN FIRST POST**

alfierose

Truly one of the great nights as a fan in recent memory. 

The nerves added to it. Couple of beers, lots of friends watching who wouldn’t normally watch. The great buzz on here.

It wasn’t perfect but it was brilliant despite that. A real rise to the occasion moment. Axl giving everything and Slash other-worldly at times. 

• GNFNR 2

19 minutes ago, reayj2003 said:

Hilarious that Lana Del Ray was late and got her set pulled 🤣

Did she say something negative about GN’R? I thought she was a fan. 
It was on a night out with Axl he said “not in this lifetime” wasn’t it?

It’s hilarious to me that Axl was bang on time and putting in 100% the best show he can whilst someone else was driving their fans crazy by being late because they’re a diva and then got their sound pulled so had to do a sing a long with the crowd :lol:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, marinergtfc said:

Did she (poppy) comment on the crowd size?

I watched it on tv and it looked huge, however couple of people on the efestival forums have said it was really easy to get into the pit around 10pm, one even said there was a huge exodus and said they’d never seen anything like it.

Not so sure about that though.

What "huge" is, is obviously relative to what other draw at that festival. There are a lot of people there, so ofc it's gonna be huge compared to something less huge, like playing the Hammersmith Apollo.
And I don't think watching it on the TV is best way to judge the crowd size.

Hasn't any reviewer listed the crowd size number? 

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos

13 minutes ago, marinergtfc said:

I watched it on tv and it looked huge, however couple of people on the efestival forums have said it was really easy to get into the pit around 10pm, one even said there was a huge exodus and said they’d never seen anything like it.

Pops was right at the front by Slash. She said the crowd got really tight halfway through as more people came forward and started to push in front of people already there. But that she didn’t see any mass exodus and it took quite a while to get through the crowds back out.  

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

Pops was right at the front by Slash. She said the crowd got really tight halfway through as more people came forward and started to push in front of people already there. But that she didn’t see any mass exodus and it took quite a while to get through the crowds back out.  

If she was right at the front, I don't think she would be the best judge on whether people left or not.

• Like 1

Just now, Spiritual_Chaos said:

If she was right at the front, I don't think she would be the best judge on whether people left or not.

True, but she had to walk back through the crowd and out.  And she said it was packed and took ages to work their way through it. 

20 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

It’s hilarious to me that Axl was bang on time and putting in 100% the best show he can whilst someone else was driving their fans crazy by being late because they’re a diva and then got their sound pulled so had to do a sing a long with the crowd :lol:

She wanted to do a tribute to Reading 2010! She asked DJ along but he was busy remixing some techno Bowie 

Edited by colonizedmind

12 minutes ago, Oxford said:

True, but she had to walk back through the crowd and out.  And she said it was packed and took ages to work their way through it. 

Lizzo had the top crowd of the day....obviously as she cross generational and massively in the mainstream ATM. We can see by the long shots last night that Guns had a great crowd. No doubts. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, marinergtfc said:

It was noticeable on TV that towards the end it was thinning out around the back, and there were big gaps opening up behind the amps or whatever the structures were about half way back. Considering Guns aren’t really going to be the average Glasto festival goers scene, and they were following out-and-out pop acts, I don’t think it’s a huge negative that it wasn’t rammed full.

To be honest it’s the millions of people watching at home on BBC which are a bigger deal, whether there was 100,000 or 70,000 or 50,000 in the actual field isn’t really that important 

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea...I thought they'd at least end on fireworks during PC. I've been curious, when did all pyro end? Was it gradual or all at once? Seems a bit strange to take that totally out of their live set, when all their peers use it extensively on lesser budgets (smaller venues)....I'm not asking for full Kiss/Motley but I think used well, like the sparks during November Rain ending...it would of looked awesome in 4K last night....any takes on why?

I think it's probably a cost thing but maybe they also just think it's a cheap move and the music should do talking?

Was it 2019 when the pyro disappeared first? I can't remember 

34 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

What "huge" is, is obviously relative to what other draw at that festival. There are a lot of people there, so ofc it's gonna be huge compared to something less huge, like playing the Hammersmith Apollo.
And I don't think watching it on the TV is best way to judge the crowd size.

Hasn't any reviewer listed the crowd size number? 

The BBC review said there were notably less people watching than there were Arctic Monkeys and that Lizzo drew more people. 

I'm not surprised really- both of those are more traditional Glastonbury type acts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think it's probably a cost thing but maybe they also just think it's a cheap move and the music should do talking?

Ok, but why now? They've been using pyro for decades....like the examples I gave earlier when it just overboard (no!) But used a couple of times at crescendos, it's effective...NR isn't the same without the waterfall of sparks ..

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I reckon Elton will make up for that side of things tonight! 

I was surprised there were no fireworks or anything. Usually are. 

37 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

She said that it takes really long to do her hair🤣 and then her set was cut. 

Reason for being late. .

1. You're watching a movie/basketball game.

2. It's raining and you need your yellow coat, but it's nowhere to be found.

No other reason is acceptable 

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Ok, but why now? They've been using pyro for decades....like the examples I gave earlier when it just overboard (no!) But used a couple of times at crescendos, it's effective...NR isn't the same without the waterfall of sparks ..

And the pyro for LALD and confetti for PC... I don't know why they dropped it though

40 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Thanks for that👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

So it still is the sound engineer's fault on the TV broadcast then judging by the BBC Radio 6 feed by comparison?

I dunno..the whole axl's high voice doesn't come through the mix argument is weird, as it seemed to be only happening at the start of lyric lines as if they forgot to fade up and that high not so powerful voice has been heard plenty high above other instruments in recent past streams, has it not? 😨

10 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Are you still ranting on about this?🤣 

Listen to the broadcast. Axl is absolutely beaming that they are playing Glastonbury. He thought it was a big deal. You don't have to though😄

Disagreeing and having a different opinion is "ranting"?? :lol::facepalm: Got it. Don't hear no beaming though.

6 hours ago, chrismcquillan said:

Interestingly the BBC said the mix at the show was significantly better vocally than the TV mix. 

Gonna listening to some of the crowd videos on YT for reference. Actually hopefully, as good as the shots were, being live they miss some cool moments from time to time. So a combo edit with crowd footage occasionally interspersed would be sweet. Any active editors doing these kinda things in the GNR fandom these days? Who was the dude that made those pro looking live edits with the cool filters, like music videos and then they all got pulled by the band or whatever....2018 time...anyone remember ?