Why is GN'R less popular in North America compared to everywhere else?

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Kiss had plenty, they got rid of the mid show stuff, but the first 3 songs and last 3 songs where still big, with lazer show during the middle. Motley have pyro. Stones i don't remember ever having it. Foos usually do so that might be a good comparison. Who ive never seen so can't comment. The point i since 2001 GnR have had it until covid. I know people like to say 'its all about the music' but if that were the case, you can listen to the CD. If im playing top dollar, I want a show. especially as I had it before. And even more especially in a stadium where from most of the venue you can barely see the band. 

Again, I've seen them recently and Kiss have definitely cut back massively on the most recent leg of the ongoing tour. Especially at the start and the end of the show – that's where it's most noticeable! The Final Tour had very little mid-show stuff from the outset anyway. They've even started playing 'bang' sounds over the PA at points where there was once proper pyro (see I Was Made For Loving You at a recent 2023 show compared to a 2019 one).

Mötley Crüe have none whatsoever on the current tour and haven't used any since reuniting last year.

Foo Fighters don't have any and typically never have.

I do tend to agree though – it adds to the show and makes it more of an experience. Regardless, my point stands – GN'R isn't the only major act either cutting back on, or completely doing without pyro.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Foo Fighters, The Rolling Stones, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, The Who, all bands I've seen in a stadium setting recently without pyro 🤷‍♂️

Even Kiss – albeit not in stadiums – have cut back on pyro on this most recent tour leg

What’s up with that? Rock shows should have pyro, it just adds to the overall experience. Motley Crue not having pyro on their big comeback stadium tour really surprised me, they always had awesome pyro with flame throwers and confetti cannons popping everywhere! And Kiss is pretty much made pyro one of the reasons you’d go to see them. They have had largely the same show since 96’ and it’s still a good time, but without all the pyro spots, I feel like it would suck

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

No. It does not. It absolutely does not. Unless it's a show that lives from Pyro like Rammstein.

it does for people who enjoy it. I personally prefer a live show to not include it as I don't get anything out of it, but you can be certain a lot of people find it enhances their live experience.

one time it made a live performance much better for me was when Axl did the last part of Bohemian Rhapsody and it felt like someone shot him out of a canon. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

People want to see Taylor Swift so they spend the money. No one wants to see Guns N’ Roses so they don’t spend the money. There’s no mystery here. GnR is not a stadium act anymore especially at these prices. The ride is over. 

Stadiums in Europe disagree. And people said the same thing when they did stadiums in 2021. And yet they still somehow were pretty full.

• Like 1

Just now, Rovim said:

it does for people who enjoy it. I personally prefer a live show to not include it as I don't get anything out of it, but you can be certain a lot of people find it enhances their live experience.

one time it made a live performance much better for me was when Axl did the last part of Bohemian Rhapsody and it felt like someone shot him out of a canon. 

Children maybe. Seriously, I couldn't even tell you when and where GNR had pyro previously, as it really left no impression at all.

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Children maybe. Seriously, I couldn't even tell you when and where GNR had pyro previously, as it really left no impression at all.

do you also think fireworks are just for children? (and Trix are for kids)

visual and audio shit enhances the spectacle for many adults. Not because they are not mature, I don't think but because it adds more power and "color" to a live show for them imo.

Edited by Rovim

30 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

No. It does not. It absolutely does not. Unless it's a show that lives from Pyro like Rammstein.

It absolutely does when you see a band in a stadium. In a club or amphitheatre no pyro is required. it's all about the up close and personal and being at one with the band, When you are 3 miles back with 80k people watching ants on a stage for £150 per ticket, you bring pyro, you bring fireworks you bring confetti. Especially when you once did, because as someone who has seem GnR 17 times, it is massively noticeable without.

As much as certain fans like to put GnR on this pedestal of being 'real hardcore music, all about music' etc that isn't really true. GnR were the theatrics, the practically fancy dress of Axl n Slash, the stage antics, the 80s era nostalgia where everyone thinks of fireworks and big hair.  Along with Kiss, Crue. Yes we know they were more than that musically and meaning wise compared to those bands, but not as big as you think. They're not the clash, they're an 80s rock band, Give us a show. 

27 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Live and let die, paradise city and november rain are the big ones that were great with pyro. Other songs had them but didnt always add to the experience, but was fun to watch nonetheless. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Rovim said:

do you also think fireworks are just for children? (and Trix are for kids)

visual and audio shit enhances the spectacle for many adults. Not because they are not mature, I don't think but because it adds more power and "color" to a live show for them imo.

You don't really want to compare proper fireworks to the measly pyro done at GNR shows?? Again, GNR are not Rammstein. Pyro used the way GNR used it, was always forgettable and unimpressive, unless you were a child.

11 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

It absolutely does when you see a band in a stadium. In a club or amphitheatre no pyro is required. it's all about the up close and personal and being at one with the band, When you are 3 miles back with 80k people watching ants on a stage for £150 per ticket, you bring pyro, you bring fireworks you bring confetti. Especially when you once did, because as someone who has seem GnR 17 times, it is massively noticeable without.

Well, I've seen them 35 times and to me it's only noticeable, because people here mention it. Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed. But then again, I don't sit 3 miles back, that would be pointless to me too. ;)

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Stadiums in Europe disagree. And people said the same thing when they did stadiums in 2021. And yet they still somehow were pretty full.

Stadiums in America disagree. Which is sort of what this thread is about. 

Have a look at some of the pictures posted above. Abysmal sales and the gigs are imminent. 

The 'somehow they were pretty full' is giving them away for tiny or even free sums. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

You don't really want to compare proper fireworks to the measly pyro done at GNR shows?? Again, GNR are not Rammstein. Pyro used the way GNR used it, was always forgettable and unimpressive, unless you were a child.

it's not the same thing, but it works on the same principal: pretty colors and loud sounds are fun for many people. So what if Gn'R are not Rammstein, as if a band should only do it if that's one of their main things.

you repeating the same argument that if it's not Rammstein-levels of pyro, it's childish makes it seems like you're missing a point here maybe which is that just cause you don't get anything out of it, doesn't mean other people that do, must enjoy it cause they skipped the stage of growing up. 

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Stadiums in America disagree. Which is sort of what this thread is about. 

Have a look at some of the pictures posted above. Abysmal sales and the gigs are imminent. 

The 'somehow they were pretty full' is giving them away for tiny or even free sums. 

And yet they did stadiums again in North America. So it was financially viable or they would stop doing that. And I recall back in '21 some of these charts looked bad too.

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it's not the same thing, but it works on the same principal: pretty colors and loud sounds are fun for many people. So what if Gn'R are not Rammstein, as if a band should only do it if that's one of their main things.

you repeating the same argument that if it's not Rammstein-levels of pyro, it's childish makes it seems like you're missing a point here maybe which is that just cause you don't get anything out of it, doesn't mean other people that do, must enjoy it cause they skipped the stage of growing up. 

Well, if they go to a rock concert and cry about lack of pyro, they must have. :P I say, if it's not proper, impressive pyro, it's not worth the effort, as it doesn't really enhance anything.

Edited by PatrickS77

5 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

And yet they did stadiums again in North America. So it was financially viable or they would stop doing that. And I recall back in '21 some of these charts looked bad too.

Well, if they go to a rock concert and cry about lack of pyro, they must have. :P I say, if it's not proper, impressive pyro, it's not worth the effort, as it doesn't really enhance anything.

oh.... so now the issue is the quality of the pyro? not impressive enough lol. if people don't hear it from the other side of the world. it's childish. I disagree with that, cause it seems that people who are into pyro would prefer some of it instead of none of it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

As much as certain fans like to put GnR on this pedestal of being 'real hardcore music, all about music' etc that isn't really true. GnR were the theatrics, the practically fancy dress of Axl n Slash, the stage antics, the 80s era nostalgia where everyone thinks of fireworks and big hair.  Along with Kiss, Crue. Yes we know they were more than that musically and meaning wise compared to those bands, but not as big as you think. They're not the clash, they're an 80s rock band, Give us a show. 

Yet GN'R didn't have pyro in the 80s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

but that's a fact.

they went from playing Metlife stadium (2016 2 shows over 100k tickets sold)

to play the same venue to 37k ( 2021 1 show)

Swift just played 3 sold out shows ( could have played 10 shows if she wants it.)

now the Metlife show would hit 30k if lucky. ( tons of give away i guess) 

11 minutes ago, felixGNR said:

but that's a fact.

they went from playing Metlife stadium (2016 2 shows over 100k tickets sold)

to play the same venue to 37k ( 2021 1 show)

Swift just played 3 sold out shows ( could have played 10 shows if she wants it.)

now the Metlife show would hit 30k if lucky. ( tons of give away i guess) 

As long as (enough) money is to be made and they are continuesly booked into stadiums, they are a stadium act. If promoters loose money, booking them there and they stop booking them there, then they are no stadium act (in North America) anymore. Though they still are in the rest of the world. So maybe that says more about americans than about them.

Edited by PatrickS77

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

For me rock concerts shouldn't be held in stadiums in the first place. The essence of rock music changed when that started happening in the '70s.

I personally have never really enjoyed a concert in a stadium, pyro or not.

Oh, I think a sold out stadium is a beautiful thing. Turning around and seeing a stadium full of people, is an amazing thing. That said, I never would want to be one of those people seen, when people in the front turn around. Glad though that there are people happy to be in the back or we would have a problem. ;)

• Like 2