Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

25 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There are vocals there we haven't heard, but we don't know when they were recorded.

Which vocals specifically are previously unheard? Honestly to my ears it sounds like the same vocal track but with effects and trickery here and there?

Edited by GNFNRUK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rebeldhipi said:

Id guess Frank redid all the drums in 2007 and Hard Skool was one of them. And then the band just chose their fav takes.

No idea if Absurd and Perhaps were played by Frank

It's Brain on Hard Skool as well (according to Melissa).

Frank did some recording sessions in Oct. 2006, presumably on tracks that made CD. It's unknown if/what he recorded on since.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The composition credits for Absurd and Hard Skool were just "Guns N' Roses" as well in the streaming services' liner notes. The "real" credits (meaning who gets composition royalties) appeared on ASCAP a while later. I suppose the same will happen with Perhaps.

Oh okay so another person could get a composer credit as well then. The fact that Slash and Duff are credited on all of the recent releases though seems like they must have a new agreement going forward. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I have it slightly differently: (58) Perhaps (a-4-d.com)

I think the lyrics actually got reworked a bit between the demo and the final release. There’s a very clear S consonant in the first line on the demo (for “so” or “say”) and that word isn’t there at all in the final version. Second line sounds very different now (like “you’ve forgotten…”), third line is the same (either “want to ignore” or “once ignored,” first makes more sense to me), fourth is the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Same with a bunch of songs on Van Halen's last album. They were even played live in the '70s before being reworked for the release in 2012

And even when they were more of active band Eddie always used old ideas for later albums that either didn't fit for the album at the time they were working on or simply wasn't finished. Here's him in 80s playing what eventually became Amsterdam on Balance album in 1995.

"A good idea is a good idea no matter when you do it" - EVH

Edited by tboneman
  • Like 1

Just now, Martin Riggs said:

Oh okay so another person could get a composer credit as well then. The fact that Slash and Duff are credited on all of the recent releases though seems like they must have a new agreement going forward. 

Yes, it seems there has been an agreement regarding the publishing splits (ie. that they'll be getting a publishing share for re-working these songs).

On Absurd Dizzy's publishing share is for the 30% of the song, leaving 70% for Axl, Slash and Duff.

On Hard Skool, about 23% of the song is shared between Finck, Tobias, Stinson and Freese, so the rest is Axl, Slash and Duff.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, chinese stew said:

This song is the worst piece of crap Axl has come up with. The solo is fine but the rest of the song stinks. It's as cringy as This I Love if not worse. 

Biased much? 

At least if it's a piece of crap it is such as a whole, but sure, let's give a pass on the solo Just cause it's Slash playing it.

I don't mind the Song and I find this new version "tastier" in a sense, I really like the double tracking in the solo and the some of the choices they made in the arrangement.

I gotta say that the best thing about Duff coming back Is that the songs seem to have a much sturdier foundation to them from a rhythmic point of view, something that I can't tell why couldn't be possibile with Tommy who I really appreciate as a player.

I personally prefer Robin's take on the solo, but it's a shame cause Slash always seems to have a good instinct and a very good creativity in what he plays, if only he gave it a bit more effort.

12 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Agreed but I do overall prefer Robin’s. Still, it should be Slash on the final release since he’s in the band

Same here.

I would really love to hear Robin's solo album someday, if it exists.

Edited by El Guapo

I hope Axl does some sort of interview or press once this tour is done and that someone asks intelligible questions about the songs background and intentions of music past and present, future, etc.

probably won’t happen though.  Because they like that.

Regarding the below, how is this different than Absurd or Hard Skool? Is it because Axl may have actually done some vocal work on it this year?

According to a press release, per Audacy, the song was “written and recorded by Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan this year,” and marks their “first collective new composition and recording together in 30 years”

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

Which vocals specifically are previously unheard? Honestly to my ears it sounds like the same vocal track but with effects and trickery here and there?

Well, one can discuss whether the demon voice on the "call" in the chorus is new or just mixed higher (personally, I had never noticed it before, not that I am an expert), but there are other places throughout the song where the vocal track is different. I suppose the easiest place to hear it is on the very final notes he sings, the final "all alone". On the demo the final note is not held long and he has some vibrato at the end; while on the released version it is more sustained and first drops quickly and then gradually drops more (vocal slide? I don't know the terminology) and then ends abruptly without the vibrato.

2 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

How do you know that was Buckethead? Maybe it was Fortus?

I asked Fortus some time ago if he would play Bucket’s parts on future material. He said any parts he played would be his own, implying he wouldn’t copy other performances note for note.