Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

Enjoyed the live footage of Perhaps, Slash pretty much played the solo note for note, was expecting he'd improv. Duff's BVs were great as well and Axl was really into the song. Great to see the band seem super excited about it! In terms of Axl's voice, I'm always reminded that Robert Plant was around the same age that Axl is now when he did the Zeppelin reunion and many of those songs were detuned a whole step. Axl's playing the same kind of music, is now older and crucially, he's doing longer shows and playing all the songs in their original keys. Hard rock's a hard thing to keep doing. 

When does the tour end? Reckon there's any chance of The General being played live? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chuzeville said:

Everything was going well... A new song, a good one at that, an actual video--this made me want to purchase the record: only to find that they don't ship to France.

they do from the official european store

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MildlyArtistic said:

It makes me happy to see the band actually making an earnest effort to promote it, unlike when Absurd and Hard Skool were sent out to die.

A radio premiere, music video, and now Times Square advertising. It’s quite refreshing!

And a #1 on iTunes at least for a small period. That's all really really refreshing....After General, if late night shows are back, they should book a week residency with Fallon (there's previous there) and just put out a full EP of everything they re-did or re-doing in a 6-8 song Double EP and perform a different song each night and then take their break, realise 2023 is a turning point for this band and come back strong end of 2024/start 25

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassistSeb said:

Enjoyed the live footage of Perhaps, Slash pretty much played the solo note for note, was expecting he'd improv. Duff's BVs were great as well and Axl was really into the song. Great to see the band seem super excited about it! In terms of Axl's voice, I'm always reminded that Robert Plant was around the same age that Axl is now when he did the Zeppelin reunion and many of those songs were detuned a whole step. Axl's playing the same kind of music, is now older and crucially, he's doing longer shows and playing all the songs in their original keys. Hard rock's a hard thing to keep doing. 

When does the tour end? Reckon there's any chance of The General being played live? 

Definately a chance as they're closely following the model from 2021 so far....anything is or isn't possible with this band....I reckon the General will come out online next month and be played....if not, at worst, it'll debut next year sometime....

2 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

That's weird. According to 2020 intentions the public had already spoken when 20 people hated it in the comment section of a music magazine on FB. I don't understand how this could happen 

The negative people have disappeared, almost like they've had enough of this good period....where they at? 

• Like 1

I think the Perhaps buzz shows something that I’ve suspected - that the piano led, more mellow stuff is what tends to hit with the public. NR was still getting played on mainstream on the radio all the time in the mid-late 2000s, always thought something like Catcher would have been a song that may have connected with the public. A lot of regular folks don’t like anything overly metally and so the Chinese title track with the shreddy guitar stuff was never going to be a hit. Perhaps on the other hand seems to be Guns’ biggest hit since the ‘90s.

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

Just now, BassistSeb said:

I think the Perhaps buzz shows something that I’ve suspected - that the piano led, more mellow stuff is what tends to hit with the public. NR was still getting played on mainstream on the radio all the time in the mid-late 2000s, always thought something like Catcher would have been a song that may have connected with the public. A lot of regular folks don’t like anything overly metally and so the Chinese title track with the shreddy guitar stuff was never going to be a hit. Perhaps on the other hand seems to be Guns’ biggest hit since the ‘90s.

Slither hit pretty well with the public in 2004

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Slither hit pretty well with the public in 2004

True - I mean that was my first major exposure to GN’R stuff on Kerrang. I think there’s a difference between the rock crowd and generic crowd though. Maybe it’s a generational thing as well - I have come across younger folks my age bemoaning anything ‘heavy metal’ by which they mean anything classic rock :lol:

It’s kind of mad how it’s changed - I mean when I was a kid my Mum was - three bands - Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple oh and King Crimson too - go listen to them, that’s the best music, now the younger generations seem to be scared of guitars :lol: Mad to me that my Mum’s generation are into much louder and heavier stuff than folks in their 20s and 30s.

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 1