Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

7 hours ago, Slugworth said:

It better be a helluva lot better than that.

I’m Just Ken is the front runner for the best song Oscar, sir!! It also features Slash and Josh Freese. Fun fact..Mike Clink was the producer on Slash’s part. Would be cool if he works more with Slash/GNR on upcoming projects.

Also Perhaps is now over 3 million on YouTube after exactly 2 weeks. 

Edited by Martin Riggs
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

I was listening to Estranged and Perhaps came on right after. This song fits right in that era of the band. The piano and Slash's guitar work is very Illusion era sounding. Random late-night thoughts...

But Axl doesn’t sound like Illusions Axl but like CD Axl.

56 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

But Axl doesn’t sound like Illusions Axl but like CD Axl.

Yes. And I don't think Slash sound anything like the Illusions tone (which is my favorite, btw). Even the drums are too different from the Illusions IMO, I don't see it as a fit to the Illusions era sonics-wise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Yes. And I don't think Slash sound anything like the Illusions tone (which is my favorite, btw). Even the drums are too different from the Illusions IMO, I don't see it as a fit to the Illusions era sonics-wise.

It's not only Slash's sound. What he plays is barely a guitar solo compared to what laid down for the Illusions 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It's not only Slash's sound. What he plays is barely a guitar solo compared to what laid down for the Illusions 

That's for sure. But I've always felt that his Perhaps solo is a mix between the simplistic approach on So Fine and the structure of 14 Years solos. 

23 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Regarding the Slash/Gilby/Paul Tobias situation, I think it's useful to repost this Slash interview from 1995 that surfaced about 3 years ago. Probably one of the most interesting and informative interviews (from Slash's perspective, of course):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4666-1995-mm-dd-alice-cooper-s-vintage-vault-unknown-original-source-interview-with-slash

This is super informative, one of the most valuable interviews from that time I've ever read. Slash seems like he's being relatively fair and honest here. He doesn't totally dislike Axl yet at this point, GNR is still a possibility to him, so he's not just shitting on him.

• Like 1

Slash had some killer solos with Velvet Revolver and on his 2010 solo (no pun intended) album.

I wish he would play a little more to that level on these reheated Chinese songs. I do like his work on Silkworms more than Bumblefoot's contributions to it. His second Hard Skool solo was pretty good, his Perhaps one could be better, but he has A LOT to work up to when you have the original solos done by Finck and Buckethead.

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

It begs the question, IF they had a track from the ‘Illusion’ days that they never took further than just writing and finalising a structure and now 32 years later they cleared the dust off that track and recorded it, would that fit in with the Illusion tracks at all or is it just the tones, drums and Axls current voice that completely take away what made the Illusion songs/sounds unique. Food for thought 

• PERHAPS 1

44 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

That's for sure. But I've always felt that his Perhaps solo is a mix between the simplistic approach on So Fine and the structure of 14 Years solos. 

Never thought about it but now that you mentioned it I think I get the 14 Years structure thing... even though the 14 Years solo is pure class rock n roll. And So Fine is his basically a trademark 'let the guitar cry' Slash solo even if it's simplistic. The solo on Perhaps isn't near of any of those solos imo...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

It begs the question, IF they had a track from the ‘Illusion’ days that they never took further than just writing and finalising a structure and now 32 years later they cleared the dust off that track and recorded it, would that fit in with the Illusion tracks at all or is it just the tones, drums and Axls current voice that completely take away what made the Illusion songs/sounds unique. Food for thought 

It depends if it's an Axl track or from any other member. If it's a Slash track, for sure it would sound more like the Illusions tracks, IMO.

18 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Never thought about it but now that you mentioned it I think I get the 14 Years structure thing... even though the 14 Years solo is pure class rock n roll. And So Fine is his basically a trademark 'let the guitar cry' Slash solo even if it's simplistic. The solo on Perhaps isn't near of any of those solos imo...

It's not, I was just trying to understand Slash's mind a bit better by comparing those two. But yeah, you're right.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Slash had some killer solos with Velvet Revolver and on his 2010 solo (no pun intended) album.

I wish he would play a little more to that level on these reheated Chinese songs. I do like his work on Silkworms more than Bumblefoot's contributions to it. His second Hard Skool solo was pretty good, his Perhaps one could be better, but he has A LOT to work up to when you have the original solos done by Finck and Buckethead.

I think if he's working on a song that needs a big epic solo, he won't have any trouble to deliver. He could have played an extended solo on Perhaps but it probably wouldn't fit with the existing drum track. Hard Skool is what it is and it got the solo it deserved. On Absurd Slash's guitarwork is short but great. Again, exactly what the song needs.

I've never heard anything of The General, not even the cellphone recording. Therefore I wouldn't take it for granted that it's the holy grail of the CD catalogue, even though I wanna believe in what Bach said. But it could indeed be one of those epic songs Slash mentioned when talking about the reworked music. There's not much left and I don’t wanna believe he had Perhaps in mind when talking about the epic songs. So if The General is that what people expecting, than I'm sure his guitar work will improve automatically. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It depends if it's an Axl track or from any other member. If it's a Slash track, for sure it would sound more like the Illusions tracks, IMO.

It's not, I was just trying to understand Slash's mind a bit better by comparing those two. But yeah, you're right.

Yeah, he probably didn't want to foreground himself, or he didn't have more 'space' for the solo, I mean, what he plays fits the song, he could noodle around, but its a little to less for 'Slash' imo.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

"Oh I like this song....hey hey...."

Guys nevermind all her stats and projections....Perhaps is a hit because the man on the street says what this guy says...

By the way Axl is really starting to figure it out....much stronger verses and he's no longer tackling the whole chorus like we had suggested (need to turn up Duff in those lines though!) Although he still didn't do the last refrain and for some reason fancied doing the crazy line....I think he just likes that line too much!!

"Hey hey..." To Craig's mellow brother....Youuusa

Indoor house knocks the fuck outta the shirty stadium sound, right!?! 

• Like 2

I don't understand why Slash keeps using such a clean, dry tone. Guns N Roses songs aren't meant to be played with the guitar tone of Keith Richards. His bends don't sustain as a result and it especially ruins songs with long bends like NR, Estranged and such. If he wasn't buried in the mix and had more gain, I might like his solo on Perhaps more.

• Like 4