"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

5 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Unlike GNR, who have had many classics since then!

Yes, like Appetite for Destruction - 1 of the biggest selling albums of all time, classics like SCOM/PARADISE CITY which still get played regularly.

Use Your Illusion 1/2 which were the biggest/fastest selling albums for a while - back then.

I do quite Chinese Democracy too, your thoughts though may vary.

Anyway UYI's were a decade after the date/stones tracks/albums I'm referring too. 

The point is the Stones may do big tours and be ingrained in pop culture, but those tracks people think of primarily when they think Stones were in general a decade and in some cases 2 before Guns releases Appetite for Destruction.

I'm not saying The General will be great, I'm saying the Stones legacy stems from albums/tracks 40-60 years ago, not since.

Only the Stones hardcores are going to care about anything since.

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Different audiences, and not exactly the same thing. The Stones are releasing an album, with proper publicity. Guns is just releasing another CD-era track, who knows if they will have proper digital release, and seems like they are not going for the same kind of impact and we shouldn't expect it either. Either way, people won't have to chose between the two releases. 

BTW, there's a lot of good Stones tracks since 1980. Voodoo Lounge has some great stuff, like Love is Strong and Out of Tears.

The cd era track is irrelevant, it doesn't mean a thing when it was written etc  

The Stones have just releases guff & crap since 80/81, sounds like Angry is the polar opposite...pretty good to me, and it isn't a different audience , plenty like both, I've seen the stones 4 times & Guns 16 , different genre, stones are more bluesy & every song is pretty easy to perform,  they'd die on stage trying You could be mine 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Walapino said:

You people have no idea what your talking about. The Stones have plenty good songs post 81.... I admit not good albums but good tracks for sure!

Mixed Emotions, You Got Me Rocking, Love is Strong, Out of Tears, Saint of Me, Out of Control, Dont Stop, Anybody Seen My Baby?, Slippin Away, Flip the Switch, Streets of Love, etc

I kinda digged Angry the latest single, lets see what the new album has to offer. It has Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, etc plus Bill Wyman original bass player on one track with Charlie. 

Don't forget Thru & Thru. It's a banger with Keef on vocals.

• Like 2

I'm far from a Rolling Stones fan, but they've had a ton of good music the past few decades lol. I mean, they're not my cup of tea at all. But if you take off the fanboy shades, GnR is releasing a song that's been known to exist for 20 years, that didn't make CD, was allegedly on an album that was canceled, and is now coming out as the B-side of a 7" on a single with zero promotion of its own existence. It is a B-side in every which way or the word, and it likely is a B-side for a reason. I'm not sure I'd say it has much chance to be an all time song.

It's going to be a great moment for NuGnR fans who've known about it forever, other than that the world is going to move on. Heck, this forum is going to move on and get into how Slash probably ruined a solo none of us have ever heard. 

17 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

I'm far from a Rolling Stones fan, but they've had a ton of good music the past few decades lol. I mean, they're not my cup of tea at all. But if you take off the fanboy shades, GnR is releasing a song that's been known to exist for 20 years, that didn't make CD, was allegedly on an album that was canceled, and is now coming out as the B-side of a 7" on a single with zero promotion of its own existence. It is a B-side in every which way or the word, and it likely is a B-side for a reason. I'm not sure I'd say it has much chance to be an all time song.

It's going to be a great moment for NuGnR fans who've known about it forever, other than that the world is going to move on. Heck, this forum is going to move on and get into how Slash probably ruined a solo none of us have ever heard. 

Can you name 3 songs from the past couple of decades? Heck, even 1?

4 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Can you name 3 songs from the past couple of decades? Heck, even 1?

The last relative song that i can think of from them that i can remember was “ Anybody seen my Baby” and they stole the melody for that one from KD Langs “Costant Craving” 😂 

Honestly, I liked some of the stuff from A Bigger Bang, as well as Doom and Gloom...

Y'know, material we've actually heard, as opposed to 'the greatest song ever' that hasn't even LEAKED properly! 😂

We get it, we all want to hear The General, but putting it on a pedestal before we've even heard it is lunacy – but nothing less can be expected from parts of this fanbase 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Anyone reading this who has The General, please don't share or leak it (ever, but if you do) until after it is officially released. 

It will be interesting to compare it to the NITL version, assuming the new one has them on it and isn't a mix from the CD-era. 

6 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

assuming the new one has them on it and isn't a mix from the CD-era. 

Why is this still a doubt?! 😂 You get back your most famous members besides the singer, and two key (and arguably the single most important) components of their sound and you think they're going to release something without them on now? Please... 😂

@Cosmo was right, this thread is just an endless loop. Y'know what, The General might as well be a cover of Ratts 'Round and Round' based on the way this thread is going.

Edited by DoMw94
  • Thanks 1

Supposedly, the General is an epic masterpiece that is a sequel to another epic masterpiece, Estranged. At minimum, it will be better than the Evader mix, which is pretty good. I'm expecting a 7 minute plus song of epic proportion. Yes it's a B side, but then again, we know Axl wants nothing to do with promoting his music anymore. No promotion for CD. There Was a Time is the best NUGNR song and was surprisingly never released as a single. Locomotive, another epic song that I consider one of the best ever also was not released as a single. So, the General being released as a B side means nothing to me.  My anticipation of the General releasing is up there with CD releasing. I could care less about the Boring Stones. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Why is this still a doubt?! 😂 You get back your most famous members besides the singer, and two key (and arguably the single most important) components of their sound and you think they're going to release something without them on now? Please... 😂

Buckethead and Robin are not back in the band. :( 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Anyone reading this who has The General, please don't share or leak it (ever, but if you do) until after it is officially released. 

It will be interesting to compare it to the NITL version, assuming the new one has them on it and isn't a mix from the CD-era. 

Buddy. There is nobody reading this who casually has access to The General, it wouldn't leak if they did, and GNR won't release a CD-era mix of the song. Give me a break...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LlamaRenegade said:

Buddy. There is nobody reading this who casually has access to The General, it wouldn't leak if they did, and GNR won't release a CD-era mix of the song. Give me a break...

You never know! Plenty of ghost readers here. 

Isn't it a GN'R store exclusive? It's not like it's sat in the back room of a Best Buy or HMV waiting to hit the shelves, literally.

It won't be in many peoples' hands yet, certainly not compared to a general (pun not intended) release