"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't have screenshots from 10+ years ago but I'm pretty sure Perhaps was on there. Cuban Skies was the song that was most hyped up, Tonto got a decent amount of attention because Richard had a song on his site (or myspace or something?) with the same title, and I'm pretty sure Perhaps was mentioned but most people assumed it was 'perhaps also these songs...' and not an actual song title.

Yes I too remember that people thought Perhaps wasn't the name of a SONG, but that it meant that the 3-4 songs listed below it were perhaps considered for the next album. Only when we finally got Perhaps in 2019, people realized it was a songtitle the entire time. So that list with Perhaps on it definitely existed pre-2019-leak as far as I remember.

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

More completed in the sense that Axl put the effort to write another verse on SOG, unlike on other songs. Maybe he  did feel that Eye On You and Absurd were fine as they were, however he did put the extra effort on SOG.

And I didn't say that Eye On You was necessarily abandoned either - even the use of the aye's on Hard Skool doesn't mean that it's been abandoned altogether.

I feel that the writer of a song is the only one who can really comment on when it is "complete", having put more "thought" into State Of grace and less into Absurd or Eye On You doesn't mean SOG is somehow more "complete", it's just a song with more thought put into it. Absurd is a complete song with repeating lyrics and that's how Axl intended it to be and that's why it's just as complete as SOG. And he probably felt the same way with Eye On You, just doesn't warrant another verse.

And unless Eye On You was seriously reworked, both music and lyrics (musical parts were taken from it, and it sounds nothing like GNR, and vocals because there's no way these lyrics will be unleashed upon the world from a 60+ year old Axl) I don't see how it was not abandoned. It didn't make the list of considered tracks for the CD2 either just like SOG. From all the songs, I believe Eye On You has the absolute least chance of ever coming out lol.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

4 hours ago, bangit said:

I'm increasingly of the view that we may have heard parts of The General before and that the song could well have been included in those village leaks, could be that SOG is an early version, maybe it's another instrumental but I find it hard to believe they weren't working on it at that time. 

Just a gut feeling. I also don't think massive amounts of additional CD material exists beyond those leaks. There will be some stuff but the core of that era is likely there and it would be weird for The General not to be a part of it. 

I'm of this view too, based on nothing other than a feeling and Silkworms becoming Absurd so there being form for it. 

It just seems odd, with all the leaks we've had, that this one song hasn't leaked at all (besides of course the mobile phone recording, which admittedly, does sound like nothing we've heard). 

Hopefully not long to wait now! 

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't have screenshots from 10+ years ago but I'm pretty sure Perhaps was on there. Cuban Skies was the song that was most hyped up, Tonto got a decent amount of attention because Richard had a song on his site (or myspace or something?) with the same title, and I'm pretty sure Perhaps was mentioned but most people assumed it was 'perhaps also these songs...' and not an actual song title.

Pretty sure Perhaps was on there and I’m sure there was a video of MSL himself reeling off the song titles.

4 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Pretty sure Perhaps was on there and I’m sure there was a video of MSL himself reeling off the song titles.

That video would be interesting if it really exists, just to see if he named Perhaps as a song or if he skipped it, because he also thought it just meant "perhaps these songs below also considered". Pretty sure people didn't realize Perhaps was an actual song until 2019, so I guess he didn't mention it in that video.

16 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

That video would be interesting if it really exists, just to see if he named Perhaps as a song or if he skipped it, because he also thought it just meant "perhaps these songs below also considered". Pretty sure people didn't realize Perhaps was an actual song until 2019, so I guess he didn't mention it in that video.

I'm pretty sure, that he didn't mention "perhaps" as a song. But he listed songs like Cuban skies, Tonto and light my fire for the first time. Wasn't that in the famous "carebear video"? 😅

29 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The video existed. Perhaps was on his list but people only realised in 2019 it was a song indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Master Of Reality said:

The video existed. Perhaps was on his list but people only realised in 2019 it was a song indeed.

I don't remember Perhaps being on it though. 

Regardless MSL is an example of what Guns does to its fans. Drives them mad through lack of new music combined with something addictive about the whole charade. 

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, ZODIAC said:

I'm pretty sure, that he didn't mention "perhaps" as a song. But he listed songs like Cuban skies, Tonto and light my fire for the first time. Wasn't that in the famous "carebear video"? 😅

You’re absolutely right about Tonto, Cuban Skies, Light My Fire being mentioned, I remember that vividly. Can’t say with 100% certainty that Perhaps was mentioned but I think it was. Either way, do think that supposed leaked list of titles was legit, but do also agree with the general discourse here that as that was the first time Perhaps had been mentioned it wasn’t completely certain to be a song title.

22 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

I don't remember Perhaps ever being a known song title until it was leaked in full.  And I'm a fanatic about the CD era mysteries and intrigue.

Until I see proof, I don't believe it was on MSL's list from back then.

I don't have the video, nor can I find the screenshot that was floating about, but this is the text as it appeared:

Subject: CD2

Cuban Skies V
The General Ch V
Atlas L
Soul M V
Silk H
Thyme L
Pro2 V
Chi2 D V?
Better2
TIL2 V
Goin Down
Tonto V Br
Monstrocity V lyr
Catcher ?
Nothin ?
JChan ?
?? L editing V
Perhaps ?
OMG2 ?
4 Heavens. ? Sing
Light My Fire

6 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

The allegeded tracklisting for cd2 was the first mention of Tonto over a decade ago along with an alleged Light My Fire cover. The attempts add stuff like Perhaps/4 Heavens came after the 2019 leaks when people would randomly post things on the forums and credit it other people.

Do you have a link to a mention of 4 Heavens/Perhaps in a post that was made after 2019?

I have the full, original screenshot of that track list and it’s dated years before the Village leaks with Nothin and Perhaps on there. It was not fabricated. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

4 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

4 hours ago, ZODIAC said:

3 hours ago, Master Of Reality said:

2 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I don't remember Perhaps being on it though. 

Regardless MSL is an example of what Guns does to its fans. Drives them mad through lack of new music combined with something addictive about the whole charade. 

21 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

So show us.  The one that keeps getting posted isn't the original.

We had a copy of the MSL video even a few years ago on gnfnr.com but we lost everything when it shut down.

Here is the video (you have to wait a bit until it loads). No mention of Perhaps.

The screenshot of the alleged email containing the track list has been shared many times since 2019 (even earlier in this thread) - I haven't found any evidence that it circulated publicly before the 2019 leaks:

2008_013.jpg

• Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

So show us.  The one that keeps getting posted isn't the original.

We had a copy of the MSL video even a few years ago on gnfnr.com but we lost everything when it shut down.

There have now been clearly many people here that have been around for a long time that have confirmed they saw that list way before the village leaks. I'm just bewildered how it's possible you have been on this forum since 2012, and me since 2016, yet I remember seeing that list before 2019 and you don't?:lol: It's cleary even way older than that unless not only my brain but many other peoples brains here are making up fake memories lol.

2 minutes ago, FabioRoses said:

so, anyone clicked into this suspicious link?

Used a spare cheap laptop for this.

It's a 4 second video file labeled "MSL Maybe_we_should_talk.mp4"

containing a man saying "maybe we should talk, maybe we should talk, maybe we should speak, maybe we should speak", in multiple cuts.

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Here is the video (you have to wait a bit until it loads). No mention of Perhaps.

The screenshot of the alleged email containing the track list has been shared many times since 2019 (even earlier in this thread) - I haven't found any evidence that it circulated publicly before the 2019 leaks:

2008_013.jpg

I'd say like 5+ old regular posters here confirming that they saw this before the leaks is evidence enough, what are the chances all those people are making it up? To me personally, who also remembers seeing it before, it makes no sense that it wasn't posted before the village leaks 2019 because I remember people being surprised Perhaps turned out to be an actual song the entire time. People thought it just meant the songs below it were a B-list. If that list only just made the rounds 2019 on, no one would have been surprised Perhaps is a song.