"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

4 hours ago, kruelty said:

It’s a strange thought for sure. With the band members (and certain forum members :lol:) growing ever so older by the day it just gives a sense of some finality. There’s only so much you can speculate regarding unheard songs, and an aging rock band isn’t going to get any more exciting.

Life goes on. Hopefully there’s some more to come, though!!

Hopefully...there's that word...hope has sailed as through many a year and sometimes/often, it's been the only thing we've had....still, Mick and co are 20 years older and have just released some of their best work in decades (not hard!) So it's possible....but it would be nice to get it while they still look relatively young and perform decent....window (next 3-5 years)

• Like 1

I know to some this can feel like “the end of an era” but the reality is if the General is the last release this year we have only gotten about 1/3 of CD2. 

1. ABSURD

2. HARD SKOOL

3. PERHAPS

4. THE GENERAL

5. atlas shrugged 

6. state of grace

7. seven

8. oklahoma

9. cuban skies

10. quick song

11. soul monster

12. zodiac 

That is A LOT of meat still on the CD2 bone. And this is just the other shit we assume has vocals. There may be a few more we don’t know about. 

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tyoma said:

GNR are lazy fat people

Their touring is actually quite impressive. It must be very hard to perform all the time and just keep going. Especially as they get older.

New music is just not their main priority.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

I know to some this can feel like “the end of an era” but the reality is if the General is the last release this year we have only gotten about 1/3 of CD2. 

1. ABSURD

2. HARD SKOOL

3. PERHAPS

4. THE GENERAL

5. atlas shrugged 

6. state of grace

7. seven

8. oklahoma

9. cuban skies

10. quick song

11. soul monster

12. zodiac 

That is A LOT of meat still on the CD2 bone. And this is just the other shit we assume has vocals. There may be a few more we don’t know about. 

Given the first 2 were released in ‘21, now the recent 2 in ‘23, following that trend of two years we should have the final 2 tracks in 2031. I feel both joy and sadness 😅

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

It’s never been a priority or even on a list of things to accomplish. They are lazy 

Ah yes, because playing three hours a night and touring constantly for seven years is the work of lazy people.

They haven't stopped working for seven years. Okay, so it's not the sort of work you'd like them to be doing, but it's still work.

They're anything but lazy.

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Can I make some last minute predictions?

- I predict the song will split the fanbase. Half will feel underwhelmed by it, because it lacks the classic GNR sound or sound too much like a CD era track. The other half will love it because they are ok with that.

- We should get a lot less views on YouTube than Perhaps, which will drive people here to conclude that it was a failure. 

- People will say that Axl will not be able to sing it live. He will and it will sound like the usual. 

i think itll be a great studio track but live most people will think its pointless

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

- I predict the song will split the fanbase. Half will feel underwhelmed by it, because it lacks the classic GNR sound or sound too much like a CD era track. The other half will love it because they are ok with that.

- We should get a lot less views on YouTube than Perhaps, which will drive people here to conclude that it was a failure. 

- People will say that Axl will not be able to sing it live. He will and it will sound like the usual. 

You forgot those who think this version sounds like shit because it's Slash who's on guitar instead of Finck or Buckethead.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

You forgot those who think this version sounds like shit because it's Slash who's on guitar instead of Finck or Buckethead.

I didn't include because I could be one of those IF we actually had a proper demo to compare it. As this is not the case, I think most people won't dwell with it too much. 

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

I didn't include because I could be one of those IF we actually had a proper demo to compare it. As this is not the case, I think most people won't dwell with it too much. 

You underestimate the weirdness of this community 😂 Some people will still shit on it and say a Finck/Buckethead version is better even when they haven't heard it, you can guarantee it

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Yep pretty much....but you missed out the biggest number of posts that we'll see...."OMG Slash sucks, Robin/Bucket/Tobias/Bumble/Fuckin Ashba solo on TG (which they haven't heard...) is sooo much better and more suited to the song!!! The only good bits in the song are the 5 seconds that Axl dispersed through out the song, of single strums by Robin and Bucket...as a nod to the folk who  "used to be a little crazy now you're sooo much more...."

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

This is a really fascinating release for sure. 

My hope is that GNR are deliberately downplaying this song, releasing as a B side etc because they know it's an epic track which will speak for itself. They seemed to go big (for GNR) on the perhaps release with the video, jukebox stunt etc. This release is completely different so far. 

Exciting times. I suspect it will be an epic track from the CD era. If it comes anywhere close to Prostitute or TWAT then I'd be happy. 

It is amazing that this track has never been leaked. 

• Like 3

We are rightly cautious, we are rightly not getting too overhyped (ahem!) But as with the mention again above of "Estranged 2", can you imagine....just for one minute, that this is on or near that level...like WOW, wouldn't that be something...hey, If you can make songs like that in the past...why can't you in the future? The odds are, you are due at least one late career piece of gold dust...it's harder when older BUT it's possible, while less of them, to uncover and produce one last gem...

This song should blow us away...the fact we're not jaded from hearing it for years is massive!! Ok....hype 🙏

Edited by colonizedmind

Obviously we all want the digital release but even if we only get the vinyl we will still be able to have a high quality version of the song. I've heard plenty of needle drop recordings that sound excellent. Just need someone with a good cartridge and proper recording setup. But I still believe that won't be necessary because a digital release is certain.

Edited by History2010

4 minutes ago, bangit said:

This is a really fascinating release for sure. 

My hope is that GNR are deliberately downplaying this song, releasing as a B side etc because they know it's an epic track which will speak for itself. They seemed to go big (for GNR) on the perhaps release with the video, jukebox stunt etc. This release is completely different so far. 

Exciting times. I suspect it will be an epic track from the CD era. If it comes anywhere close to Prostitute or TWAT then I'd be happy. 

It is amazing that this track has never been leaked. 

I agree.

Also for the leak part, that's because no hoarder has it, if they did... then it would have leaked years ago. 

10 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

We are rightly cautious, we are rightly not getting too overhyped (ahem!) But as with the mention again above of "Estranged 2", can you imagine....just for one minute, that this is on or near that level...like WOW, wouldn't that be something...hey, If you can make songs like that in the past...why can't you in the future? The odds are, you are due at least one late career piece of gold dust...it's harder when older BUT it's possible, while less of them, to uncover and produce one last gem...

This song should blow us away...the fact we're not jaded from hearing it for years is massive!! Ok....hype 🙏

That would be awesome! Guess we'll find out soon enough. Didn't Sebastian Bach mentioned that "The General" was a sequel to "Estranged" back in 2008?

Edited by DarkLotus1111

15 minutes ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

It's still surreal we're getting it soon. I'm hyped for it. Not expecting "Estranged II" but hope it's a good track at least.

I’m hyped too, it’s incredible than less than a week we’ll get it. Hope it have the orchestra intro