"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

4 hours ago, Arnuld said:

Also early Robin and Bucket were an absolute freak show in person. Great guitarists but weird as fuck to look at. 

Yes I remember and at the time GNR was absolutely ridiculed.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

So what's the current rumour/bets regards TG.......

. NZ release tonight at MIDNIGHT?    . No release and just shipping TOMORROW?                                             . Crappy cell phone recording by the time the 🏉 rugby world cup final plays on Sunday 8am NZT? 

23 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

So what's the current rumour/bets regards TG.......

. NZ release tonight at MIDNIGHT?    . No release and just shipping TOMORROW?                                             . Crappy cell phone recording by the time the 🏉 rugby world cup final plays on Sunday 8am NZT? 

If it follows the HardSkool line then we’ll have it in 11+ hours. If not, then we’ll have to wait for the first vinyl deliveries (or start to worry)

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

No need to worry.

I have zero faith in a digital release.

As soon as people get their hands on a copy, a recording will start making the rounds immediately.  Most likely this will take 4 or 5 more days.

BUT.....there's always a chance a copy of the record will reach an enthusiastic fan early and we'll get a recording that way.  That could literally happen any moment now.

Best case....we hear it in the next few hours.  Worst case....about 5 days from now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lobocop101 said:

So guys, Axl said that we might have heard parts of The General LIVE somewhere… well, that happens to be in Puerto Rico in 2010. They played 2 minutes of The General as an intro to Chinese Democracy. So I found a live YouTube video from Puerto Rico and you can hear(if all the “Woos” and screaming allows) a 2 minute instrumental. Mods please don’t ban me, this is a public video xD. Here’s the link

This entire mystery surrounding The General has had me perplexed.  There's a download that was floating around of the song years ago, believe it was on Youtube of all places.  I downloaded it and stored it away with the locker leaks for safe keeping.  Well, this video confirms what I have matches the tune, for sure.  It's a long intro, 2min 40sec, then guitars kick in.   At 3:39 Axl's unmistakable screech kicks in, "My hopes, my dreams...", full high pitch rasp.  At 4:07, Axl goes to a mid-tone falsetto and sounds like a bad AI version of himself.  Very robotic.  That always threw me off.  Just doesn't sound anything like GNR at that point.  That 'robotic' Axl goes off on some tangent I can't understand... before the screeching chorus comes roaring back to life.  

The song ends at 7min 25sec.

If this is indeed 'The General', I can't wait to hear what Slash and Co. did to it.  And hopefully Axl 'fixed' the robotic bridge, if you can call it that.  

Am I the only one with this recording?  I figured everyone and their mother on this forum had it... so why is everyone acting so surprised/excited over it?  

If I am the only one that has it, for some reason, by all means, let me know.  

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, matt1313 said:

This entire mystery surrounding The General has had me perplexed.  There's a download that was floating around of the song years ago, believe it was on Youtube of all places.  I downloaded it and stored it away with the locker leaks for safe keeping.  Well, this video confirms what I have matches the tune, for sure.  It's a long intro, 2min 40sec, then guitars kick in.   At 3:39 Axl's unmistakable screech kicks in, "My hopes, my dreams...", full high pitch rasp.  At 4:07, Axl goes to a mid-tone falsetto and sounds like a bad AI version of himself.  Very robotic.  That always threw me off.  Just doesn't sound anything like GNR at that point.  That 'robotic' Axl goes off on some tangent I can't understand... before the screeching chorus comes roaring back to life.  

The song ends at 7min 25sec.

If this is indeed 'The General', I can't wait to hear what Slash and Co. did to it.  And hopefully Axl 'fixed' the robotic bridge, if you can call it that.  

Am I the only one with this recording?  I figured everyone and their mother on this forum had it... so why is everyone acting so surprised/excited over it?  

If I am the only one that has it, for some reason, by all means, let me know.  

For the zillionth time, that is the Evader version. It’s a recreation, not the actual song 

• Haha 3

There HAS to be some rhyme and reason why the vinyl is coming out/shipping out on Friday…

The Stones and Blink-182 had huge releases last week, and now the Black Pumas (and hell, the BEATLES) are slated to release stuff THIS Friday.

There has been a lot of new music, particularly in the rock realm, as of late, so Guns would be silly not to take advantage of the momentum.

I still say “The General” gets a digital release either Friday or on Halloween (Green Day released a new single on Tuesday at 9AM EST, it’s not inconceivable)… much like I’m still waiting for my vinyl copy of the new Stones album, the ship date and digital release date are often one in the same, not necessarily the day in which people will get their physical copies. 

Also when “Perhaps” launched, we weren’t supposed to find that demo site… there was quite literally no formal acknowledgement of the song by the band until the night before release, when it premiered on US radio stations. Then boom, midnight on August 18th, there it was with a music video and merch. The same thing happened with HS… we all knew it was coming, and it just did… no countdowns, no teases, no nothing. 

Edited by GNRRHCP98

1 hour ago, vloors said:

Simply more people know who Slash is. More people prefer the albums released with Slash. More people attend the shows to see Slash with Axl than any newgnr guitarist when they were around. 

Majority want to hear slash and his style on newly released singles not some forgotten newgnr guitarists.

Axl if he had some intergrity would be recording all new tracks with the band.

I don't think integrity necessarily factors into it. If he doesn't have the muse, he doesn't have it. He's mentioned experiencing writers block before.

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

For the zillionth time, that is the Evader version. It’s a recreation, not the actual song 

I have a life nowadays so I haven't read this entire thread.  I check the forum every now and then for big news or to follow some of the live show threads... which is fun from time-to-time.  So feel free to label me as an idiot, if you'd like!  Hell, I'll do it.  I'm an idiot.  

I remember what it was like to be so obsessed with a GNR forum... so I don't blame you for being frustrated with my post. 

My being an idiot aside... this "Evader" version does exactly match that opening bit from the Puerto Rico show.  So if it's a "recreation", it's a pretty damned good one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matt1313 said:

I have a life nowadays so I haven't read this entire thread.  I check the forum every now and then for big news or to follow some of the live show threads... which is fun from time-to-time.  So feel free to label me as an idiot, if you'd like!  Hell, I'll do it.  I'm an idiot.  

I remember what it was like to be so obsessed with a GNR forum... so I don't blame you for being frustrated with my post. 

My being an idiot aside... this "Evader" version does exactly match that opening bit from the Puerto Rico show.  So if it's a "recreation", it's a pretty damned good one. 

I also for a while thought the Evader version WAS “The General.” Honestly wouldn’t have minded it, I always liked it!

2 minutes ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

I also for a while thought the Evader version WAS “The General.” Honestly wouldn’t have minded it, I always liked it!

Also, right now, GNR is the top result for artists when you search “The General” on Spotify… even though there are literally other songs titled and bands named “The General.” Makes ya wonder…

11 minutes ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

It's not a bad tune. So from what I'm gathering, someone made their own version of that intro that's played at the Puerto Rico show... then somehow created convincing vocals for the rest of the song (they came up with)?  I'm probably not up to speed on all the GNR CSI crap that's gone on over this whole thing.

My only guess, concocted in the last 10 minutes, is someone was really good at recreating that opening intro... but the vocals... how did they pull that off?  I can see it being done today with the advent of AI... but certainly not years ago.  The vocals are very, very convincing.  More so than most of the AI out there today. 

Edited by matt1313

3 minutes ago, matt1313 said:

It's not a bad tune.  Has the fact the Evader version matches what GNR actually played as an intro to CD back in 2010 been discussed?  I'm probably not up to speed on all the GNR CSI crap that's gone on over this whole thing... but it would strike me as odd for GNR to play a fan recreation, or the 'Evader' recording at one of their shows.  

My only guess is someone was really good at recreating that opening intro... but the vocals... how did they pull that off?  I can see it being done today with the advent of AI... but certainly not years ago.  The vocals are very, very convincing.  More so than most of the AI out there today. 

The video you're referring to is a combination of the *real* orchestral intro that was played at shows and Evader's recreation of the phone clip, which means that the part with the guitars and the vocals is not real.

3 minutes ago, Miden34 said:

even if it doesnt get a digital release immediately, there is easy ways of transferring the audio from the vinyl to mp3. so once someone gets the vinyl, we'll get the song. 

I’m also just super pumped to have “Perhaps” on vinyl… gosh, it’s my favorite of the three “reunion era” tracks and truly feels like Illusion-era GNR.

Edited by GNRRHCP98
  • Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 minute ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

I’m also just super pumped to have “Perhaps” on vinyl… gosh, it’s my favorite of the three “reunion era” tracks and truly feels like Illusion-era GNR.

When you think about it, they could’ve easily made the R-side a live performance of “Perhaps” or a remix or quite literally a live track of any prior song. They explicitly put “The General” which suggests to me they have SOME larger aspirations with it?

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

Absurd was the only surprise release that dropped at midnight US EST (probably because Axl wanted to announce it during the show of that night). Hard Skool and Perhaps (as well as the promo singles from the UYI reissue) were released at midnight according to each region's timezone, hence in New Zealand first.

I think that if this one doesn't drop in New Zealand in about 8 7 hours from now, we shouldn't expect a digital release this week and it's more likely that we'll first hear it via a vinyl rip in a few days.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The video you're referring to is a combination of the *real* orchestral intro that was played at shows and Evader's recreation of the phone clip, which means that the part with the guitars and the vocals is not real.

Understood.  Thanks for getting me caught up on the Evader version.  It's really good and convincing to a layman that doesn't know the backstory. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, matt1313 said:

No worries, you are not an idiot