An idea for how a original lineup reunion could work

On 10/6/2023 at 1:42 AM, Slugworth said:

I remember you. You were a moderator back when Moses wore short pants.

Madison should go ahead and pop back up.

Did you have different name then?

I don't remember you...

On 10/3/2023 at 10:45 AM, allwaystired said:

In 99 per cent of people's eyes the 'reunion' has already happened. Literally no-one has ever said to me "oh, it's not a proper reunion they don't have Steven Adler". 

If you look around you at a GNR gig. Many people don't even know the album tracks, let alone who is on stage beyond Slash and Axl. The idea that changing Fortus and Ferrer for Izzy and Steven would sell more tickets is just mad. 

Some of us here would like it, but that's it. 

it is the only thing that enables Axl to tour same setlist for another 5 years. It is about branding the tour and it amazes me how many people there are who are clueless how things work.

As for studio record, no band that didn't have the chemistry ever made a half decent record, GNR or whoever (even Oasis w/o Bonehead and Guiggsy).

The only thing that can happen is the uninspired crap we've been getting under that moniker since 1993.  In the AFD - UYI era, the band has proven that when that bunch gets in the room - the magic happens, anyone doubting is delussional or deaf, but can always see record sales for evidence, if they were not around in that time.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Frankfurt93 said:

it is the only thing that enables Axl to tour same setlist for another 5 years. It is about branding the tour and it amazes me how many people there are who are clueless how things work.

As for studio record, no band that didn't have the chemistry ever made a half decent record, GNR or whoever (even Oasis w/o Bonehead and Guiggsy).

The only thing that can happen is the uninspired crap we've been getting under that moniker since 1993.  In the AFD - UYI era, the band has proven that when that bunch gets in the room - the magic happens, anyone doubting is delussional or deaf, but can always see record sales for evidence, if they were not around in that time.

If you think the only thing that will allow GNR to tour for the next 5 years is the return of Adler and Izzy, then you're in for a disappointing five years. 

GNR touring needs no branding whatsoever....hence why it has had no branding since the 'NITL' shows. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Frankfurt93 said:

The delusion here. If Axl wants to tour on the same setlist for 5 more years, he can simply... do it. He doesn't need Steven or Izzy for that. Their presence would probably sell 10 more tickets in each market. Literally nobody but diehards care, and there are not many GnR diehards around anymore. You must be living in 1999 for this thought to even cross your mind.

Edited by meadsoap
  • Like 1

People are correct that in the wider sense, the general public doesn't care about an AFD 5 reunion. They don't know anybody outside of Axl and Slash.

With that said, the general public would not be the marketing segment for the AFD 5 reunion. An AFD 5 reunion would work best as a residency or short term tour in smaller venues with much higher ticket prices. The target market would be hardcore fans or festivals who might pay more for the AFD Reunion if they perceive it to be a hotter act than the "regrouping".

Additionally, the slight uptick in interest would help them with ticket sales when they go back to this current lineup. 

4 hours ago, meadsoap said:

The delusion here. If Axl wants to tour on the same setlist for 5 more years, he can simply... do it. He doesn't need Steven or Izzy for that. Their presence would probably sell 10 more tickets in each market. Literally nobody but diehards care, and there are not many GnR diehards around anymore. You must be living in 1999 for this thought to even cross your mind.

Use Your Delusion Tour...

Not coming in 2025

30 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I reckon Adler could actually attend a GNR gig, as a ticket holder in the crowd, and virtually no-one would recognise him or speak to him. 

I think the same could be said for the majority of the band barring Axl, Slash & possibly Duff... hell, even outside of the die hards, I'd put many being unable to pick Axl out too at this point. 

People just don't care about GNR as much as we think anymore.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

I think the same could be said for the majority of the band barring Axl, Slash & possibly Duff... hell, even outside of the die hards, I'd put many being unable to pick Axl out too at this point. 

People just don't care about GNR as much as we think anymore.

That's probably true. I think Frank has been watching support sets from the crowd actually, going into the pit with everyone else without being recognised or bothered. 

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I've met people who went to Nu-GNR shows and were convinced Ashba was Slash. 

Like Slash had learned his lesson, did a Clark Kent....instead of appearing guitar in hand and getting denied entry, he got a wonky hat, some guyliner and turned up for addition in '09, thinking, Axl will never know....I'm back! (It would of got him the Poison job! 😝) They'd probably believe that too, eh....

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2023 at 5:53 AM, Frankfurt93 said:

You're correct obviously but you must understand that this band is not a creatively viable entity anymore. This is not even a real band. Just three former partners who decided to get together again to make a lot of money for their retirement fund and cash-in on nostalgia for the incredible music they put out many years ago. I mean - good for them - in a way, I get where they're coming from because, thanks to Axl and to a lesser extent Slash, the band imploded at their peak and these guys could not amass a fortune or take advantage of the incredible brand equity they had built. So while Metallica continued to make money hand over fist for decades, GnR withered away into irrelevance for years before the reunion. All that to say....good for them to cash in, they should have put their BS aside and done it earlier. I imagine they're all kicking themselves (including Axl) over it for how much money they left on the table. Compare the net worth of the Metallica guys or Dave Grohl to Rose, Slash, and Duff. They left millions on the table by breaking up.

As for Steven and Izzy....they are not relevant to this band anymore. The "partners" are just touring musicians at this point and custodians of the brand. There will likely be no new music from them and if there is it will be uninspired crap like what you hear on Slash's solo albums. And Rose's chinese leftovers like Perhaps and Absurd stink as well so it's not like his involvement is an indicator of higher quality material. So why do you even need Izzy and Adler when the others are so creatively spent and more interested in being a legacy act?

I do think there's a slim chance of an AFD 5 reunion though. Maybe towards the very end - a capstone to their farewell tour -  I could see it as a teaser before the farewell tour begins to juice up the ticket sales. I imagine it will be a short residency in Vegas like someone said earlier or a limited 3 month arena tour when Axl is ready to hang it up and retire. Kind of a final cash-in gimmick for the partners once all other avenues are tapped. Once these guys have exhausted North America with these endless tours - the promoters themselves will be pushing for some new gimmick and this will be the last card in the deck to play. If you ask me, they're nearly there.

On 10/14/2023 at 8:53 AM, Frankfurt93 said:

Brother, Axl has been touring the same setlist give or take a few songs prior to and after ChiDems release, since fucking 2001 ...

• Like 1