Faith No More talks touring with Guns N' Roses

Faith No More is probably the best band of this era, Angel Dust is way more imaginative than Nevermind, for example.
and basically no one can go near Mike Patton vocally, he's a beast. so that was fun to see them play before Guns and after
Soundgarden at Vincennes. 

cool reaction from Axl considering all the shit he was dealing with 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, DeNfr said:

Faith No More is probably the best band of this era, Angel Dust is way more imaginative than Nevermind, for example.
and basically no one can go near Mike Patton vocally, he's a beast. so that was fun to see them play before Guns and after
Soundgarden at Vincennes. 

cool reaction from Axl considering all the shit he was dealing with 

Big words but I'm partial to agree, kinda sad what spawned out from the alternative scene with them being the main inspiration to a lot of that and leaving rock in the state it is today, more or less.

It was most likely bound to happen anyway, however it irks me when 'those' bands cite them each and every time.

47 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Patron’s asshole attitude and ungratefulness to the guys in the band who were taking them on the biggest tour going at that time, it always rubbed me the Wrong way. All these interviews about “we hated that so much!” Not enough to quit though, huh? Your principles didn’t carry quite that far?

Exactly, it's so hypocritical. Cobain was an asshole too but at least he refused to tour with GNR,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

'm torn on this. On one hand, I commend Patton for being a sh*t terrorist. He pissed on Axl's teleprompter, encouraged crowds to pelt him (and ostensibly GnR) with trash, and put feces in a hotel hair dryer so that the next person to use it would get a face full of hot excrement - what a great man. He was a sensitive and thoughtful artist in a sea of pretenders.

With that said, my god was that band full of d-bags. Patton has great talent so his assholery can be overlooked, but it's harder to do it with the others. Have some gratitude. No one held a gun to your head to go on tour. They even agreed to go on a second tour (the Guns/Metallica tour iirc) with Guns so it makes the whining even more ridiculous. It was a circus that you agreed to be part of for the money and exposure, deal with it.

Well, in recent interviews Patton said he was butthurt because GN'R treated FNM "like shit" and didn't talk to them, so that's why he did all that:

https://loudwire.com/mike-patton-peed-axl-rose-teleprompter/

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/oct/19/mike-patton-on-the-return-of-dead-cross-this-record-was-forged-through-covid-cancer-and-alcoholism

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

still wonder why being accepted by these alternative bands was so important for Axl and Duff. To this day, they're still so hung up on it - like they consider associating with those bands as a way to elevate their status. You don't see that type of mentality with Slash and Izzy.

Slash had some of them on his solo album with guest singers.

Duff has made a good case for himself about being part of the early '80s Seattle scene that preceded those bands (and from which many of them came from), because he really was. He's also been friends with the AIC guys since the early '90s. Izzy doesn't care about anything anyway.

• Like 3

I think Axl like them because like their music, I remember a video of him AND His friend Dave Lank  seeing Mother Love Bone, the Band Pioneer of grunge sound.

In my opinion, Is interesting to see members of those bands going to GNR: Dave Grohl and all His appearances with GNR and viceversa, Chris Cornell covering Patience, and the guys of Soungarden going to see GNR in Seattle, Mike MCCready going with all his heart in PC, Alice in Chains, etc. after all this years Is like respect is given in both sides AND Is so nice to see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

I still wonder why being accepted by these alternative bands was so important for Axl and Duff. To this day, they're still so hung up on it - like they consider associating with those bands as a way to elevate their status. You don't see that type of mentality with Slash and Izzy.

Huh? Who says it was important to them or that they were looking for acceptance?
As Gilby once said, Axl always knew about the latest bands and he loved a lot of those alt bands and wanted to give them a chance to go on tour with them to give them more exposure. Duff knew some of the guys from those Seattle bands from before he had even moved to LA, so he probably just saw them as friends.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Well, in recent interviews Patton said he was butthurt because GN'R treated FNM "like shit" and didn't talk to them, so that's why he did all that:

https://loudwire.com/mike-patton-peed-axl-rose-teleprompter/

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/oct/19/mike-patton-on-the-return-of-dead-cross-this-record-was-forged-through-covid-cancer-and-alcoholism

Yeah, GnR treated FNM like shit :rolleyes: 

Whatever you say Mike. :lol:

I was a bit too young to experience the Illusion era but it really does read like some of these young upstart alternative bands that were emerging kind of positioned themselves as antagonists to the mega band of the era (in this case GnR). Sort of a combo of jealousy, rebellion against what was mainstream at the time, and a distaste for the LA "hair metal" scene that GnR was lumped into. And then Axl's behavior and goofiness during the Illusion era (bicycle shorts, cigarette holders, meltdowns, etc) just pours rocket fuel on the whole thing.

There's a clip of James Hetfield on Stern taking a shot at GnR by calling them glam or Dave Grohl derisively saying in that interview with John Stewart that GnR came from a world that they didn't consider "real" (1 hour 22 mins) - whatever that means. I guess Flea kinda sums up the attitude of these bands:

“We were definitely against the hair-metal scene,” the bassist said. “We were like, 'F**k them. We're the underground, art-rock, get-weird east side guys; those guys are just rehashing Aerosmith and Kiss.’”

“In retrospect it was all petty bulls**t," he admitted. "A lot of those bands were f**king great. Guns N’ Roses was a great band.”

https://www.iheart.com/content/2022-03-06-flea-reflects-on-red-hot-chili-peppers-petty-views-of-guns-n-roses/

Slash had some of them on his solo album with guest singers.

Duff has made a good case for himself about being part of the early '80s Seattle scene that preceded those bands (and from which many of them came from), because he really was. He's also been friends with the AIC guys since the early '90s. Izzy doesn't care about anything anyway.

Agreed. I think Duff and Axl definitely developed a bit of insecurity because a lot of these alternative bands went to great lengths to disassociate themselves from GnR. I think there is more connective tissue between GnR and the grunge bands than a lot of people on that side would care to admit.

• Like 3

alternative bands is the stupidest label, a broad brush-over on some of the most interesting work that saw mainstream stay. Like time, you dislike the generation that came before, it's protocol in any event.

Real musicians are allowed to talk some shit, or rather artists.

I love FNM, and agree with others here that Angel Dust is arguably the best album of the 90s.

Shame they’re having issues again now. Recent events seem to suggest that Patton is a bit of a diva, tbh. He canceled an entire FNM world tour, citing “mental health issues,” only to now be happily on the road with Mr. Bungle, with no effort to try to fix FNM, the band he screwed over, whatsoever.

Edited by rocknroll41

We can only speculate, some suggested past trauma or GAD/BPD, hitting the sauce, covid, whatever it is, it's a good time to bring up a Buzz Osborne quote, something to the effect of; "if people knew the real Mike Patton, I'm not sure many would be fans of his, he's a lot weirder than people give him credit for."

Personally I think he can't be arsed with FNM going through the proces of recording with them again and yeah, maybe the spotlight got too bright for him.

It's not really a thing anymore, but in those days so much credibility existed in not being seen as a 'sell out'.  Especially if you came up though the alt scenes.  But supporting a massive stadium act was exactly that.  And signing with Geffen was too.  For Faith No More and Nirvana it probably tore them up inside trying to justify those decisions, as well as being big rock stars in their own right.  And it really wasn't worth the angst.  It's just music.  And absolutely no-one cares about whether you sold-out in 2023.  Besides, the 'cool' people they were trying to impress back then are probably all CEOs of multinational organisations now...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

I think Axl like them because like their music, I remember a video of him AND His friend Dave Lank  seeing Mother Love Bone

Really? MLB are one of my fave bands and I never knew Axl happened to see them live. They played at least once in LA with Dogs D'Amour in '89, I assume that's when Axl saw them. I'll see if I can find the video you mentioned, but if anyone has more info about this I'll be more than happy to hear.

EDIT: found the video, posting it here.

Edited by Twinaleblood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1