THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

4 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Does it not bother anybody else how fucked these vocals are, for Axls standards.. the effects that he hides his voice behind.. the bizarre layering.. he has one of the best voices in music history, showcased on many CD songs… The instrumentals are absolutely amazing.. it’s the vocals that just kill it for me.. even the rasp used in the bridge of Monsters just doesn’t sound right at points.. sounds like an Axl cover singer.. just shocked 

Not every song has to be "ladies and gentlemen.... Axl Rose."

Edited by DingBat
I'm gay
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, TrixAreForKids said:

Anyone have the lyrics to Monsters??

A tour-de-force of any old passion
A broken heart that was out of fashion
Dynamic duo keep your ..(figure).. crashing
My early warning was your satan(i)c laughing

I was there for you
Its all I could do
Oh but its over now
Oh but its over now

I was there for you
Its all I could do
Oh but its over now
Oh but its over now

The monsters......

You stole my soul with the devil's romancing
All alone in your bedroom, dancing
Thought I could feel somebody worth having
But in the end I guess you're good for the damning

I was there for you
Its all I could do
Oh but its over now
Oh but its over now

SLASH

The monsters......

The more I did, what I did, I did for you
There's no excuses for the hell I let you put me through
I never did, I was a kid, would I kid with you?
To make it better there's just nothin' that I wouldn't do

I doubt there's anybody left that wants to know the truth
The dirty secret that you hid away inside of you
Who ever thought I'd be around to shed a light on you
Well here's the story baby I got nothin' else ta do

I was there for you
Its all I had to do
Oh but its over now
Oh but its over now

I was there for you
Its all I had to do
Oh but its over now
Oh but its over now

I was there for you
Its all I had to do

I was there for you
Its all I had to do

I was there for you

4 minutes ago, valengf said:

edit: this shit meaning, an expected release and then a postpone, and to be leaked. Cmon man

Yeah, it’s 100 percent a bummer that, just like “Perhaps” studio release, our first listen is a low quality leak. I know it’s our own faults. We could have waited. But let me be clear: I could not have waited. Because this is GNR and it might never see the light of day. Too hard to resist.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Amir said:

I wonder if Me & My Elvis is the third part of the trilogy, which is why Monsters had a working title of Elvis Presley & The Monster of Soul? Has that same doomy vibe, too good of an instrumental to never have vocals added.

I’m wondering what the connection is too because it does have a similar vibe. 

It’s entirely possible that they mixed and matched vocal tracks on to different instrumentals. Not saying this happened here with that track. But they seemed to cut a lot of corners.

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

Yeah, it’s 100 percent a bummer that, just like “Perhaps” studio release, our first listen is a low quality leak. I know it’s our own faults. We could have waited. But let me be clear: I could not have waited. Because this is GNR and it might never see the light of day. Too hard to resist.

Chris, the leak I am listening to isn't low quality. Why don't you get in touch? Cos I owe still own $5.

12 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Does it not bother anybody else how fucked these vocals are, for Axls standards.. the effects that he hides his voice behind.. the bizarre layering.. he has one of the best voices in music history, showcased on many CD songs… The instrumentals are absolutely amazing.. it’s the vocals that just kill it for me.. even the rasp used in the bridge of Monsters just doesn’t sound right at points.. sounds like an Axl cover singer.. just shocked 

I don't mind the effects and overall arrangements of it all, to me they mix the whole vibe of these two songs which both of them seem to be expressing two sides of two different individuals from my interpretation.

Axl sounds fantastic in my opinion, I think any faults I can find are due to the songs themselves (be it the initial MP3 leaks or the Youtube one that has both linked together) not being in proper release-ready fidelity

• Like 1

A buddy of mine who is an audio engineer, and long-time GN'R fan says these are "unmixed" tracks. They certainly don't sound suitable as-is, to my untrained ears.

As far as Monsters being Leave Me Alone / Soul Monster, I understand why some believe this, because it sounds like Sabbath, as Axl described Soul Monster in 2008, the lyrics sound mean, and monsters and soul are used in the song. I mean, it could be Soul Monster, but I don't believe it is because it's so far off from the Me & My Elvis instrumental from 2000, and we heard a very rough 2 minute recording of this very track from 2010, and from 2000 to 2010, I can't believe they would have let that instrumental go to waste. We are also assuming since Axl talked about Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul as being a working title, that it was also Me & My Elvis. If these songs somehow are connected or the same, I don't hear any elements from the 2000 instrumental. 

So, if I had to guess, Soul Monster and Monsters are two different songs. Which is kinda weird, having two songs with "monster" in them on one album, but who knows. Maybe it was "Monstrocity" before. 

I wish I knew definitively. 

17 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

I agree about Axl and the voice. However, it always seems like Axl is trying to take some unmakeable dream song he hears in his head and put it on a record. And that is when I love GNR the most. It’s like he tries to take all the things GNR has the capability of an etch it into a song. It’s something to be admired I think.