THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

27 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Ok got to hear it. Only difference is the bass. It’s definitely more thumpy for lack of a better word. Also it seems like the strings are a bit higher in the mix. I actually like the added bass. The biggest disappointment with this song is that it doesn’t have a ton of orchestra. In my mind it would because of how long and dramatic the string arrangements used to be before the shows would start back in the day

This is the exact same version as the leak. Only radio compression makes certain elements sound louder

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slugworth said:

No it hasn't.  Leaving Finck on a song for a nanosecond isn't what you were referring to. You meant "restore" the Chinese era version of the track.

How do I know this? Because 99% of your posts are constantly asking for this.

They restored a few seconds. 

99.1%

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, JimiRose said:

People listen to music on streaming platforms like eating a packet of M&Ms. you open the packet, you eat it, you throw it away. Onto the next bag. 

You're aware that you can make playlists on streaming services, right? And even listen to albums.

I have a playlist of all my favorite songs and listen to it on shuffle at work. Does that make me a lesser consumer? I don't even follow the analogy, what does "throwing a song away" entail? Never listening to it again? Why would the platform change whether somebody likes a song or not?

You release an album, you get CDs, Booklets, magazine and newspaper reviews, interviews (well maybe not) you get 1 or 2 singles released to build the anticipation. Then it arrives you get 14 songs. I like track 3 and 5 best, listen to them loads, you prefer track 7 and 8. after a couple weeks i think well faceless turtle loves them, let me hear them again properly, then boom they hit me, i feel that love, and the cycle continues, to the point where eventually the whole album means loads to me and now i can spend a whole hour listening to it al the way through singing every word and picking up instrumental bits i never heard before. How it flows between songs, trying to find hidden messages.

You release a single, you get CD singles, booklets, magazine and newspaper reviews, interviews (if you want to). If you want to build anticipation, you can announce it beforehand with a snippet teaser.

My whole point was that with singles, you don't forget about songs 7 and 8 for weeks (or forever, in many cases). They get your full attention when they come out.

One song every two years? lame as fuck. Look how hyped we were for 10 years for the general. there was a week of mass hysteria when it got leaked, then, dead. now no one gives a fuck.

I repeat: "Obviously we'd all like them to do it faster, but that's another discussion."

And the General was a bust for many reasons, including the song itself being very repetitive and even the band thought it was only b-side material. It's not a single at all, so it's not what I'm talking about. There was zero promotion for it.

Like I said, Perhaps would have never gotten the attention it did in 2023 if it were released as just another track on CD. It would have never gotten a video, either.

if that was part of an album, we'd be still bringing it up constantly with every other songs. GnR have completely fucked CD2. It should have come 2010. then it should have come 2014. then it should have come 2021 in full with slash and duff. Instead we're about to hit 2024 with only 3 songs over 3 years officially released currently. Lame as fuck

You seriously think The General would be getting mentioned by anyone, even on these forums, if it were released alongside a whole album of likely superior material to that b-side? It would not only be absolute crickets outside fan forums, even in here we'd be talking about Atlas and Monsters, not The General.

Again, the timing is not what I'm commenting on, purely the form of releasing as singles vs. an album.

image.png

Nah the laziness is unreal, this can't be real I refuse to believe this management is actually in charge of this band.
What in the pathetic fuck is that display image? XD
They put together the bottom half and went "fuck it", theres the image... bruh

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Arnuld said:

Ok got to hear it. Only difference is the bass. It’s definitely more thumpy for lack of a better word. Also it seems like the strings are a bit higher in the mix. I actually like the added bass. The biggest disappointment with this song is that it doesn’t have a ton of orchestra. In my mind it would because of how long and dramatic the string arrangements used to be before the shows would start back in the day

The original version must be longer. I'm now sure this song was reworked & shortened just like Hard School & Silkworms were reworked & shortened. I really hope we get to hear it someday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

They restored a few seconds. 

99.1%

It wasn't "restored". Slash is layered over the top. They didn't re-add one note from Robin after Slash had completed his parts.

We can add this to the ever-expanding book of "Ridiculous GN'R fan theories that make no sense"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skamos66 said:

image.png

Nah the laziness is unreal, this can't be real I refuse to believe this management is actually in charge of this band.
What in the pathetic fuck is that display image? XD
They put together the bottom half and went "fuck it", theres the image... bruh

Funny they have Chinese Democracy and not AFD. I’d expect the opppsite!

44 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

It wasn't "restored". Slash is layered over the top. They didn't re-add one note from Robin after Slash had completed his parts.

We can add this to the ever-expanding book of "Ridiculous GN'R fan theories that make no sense"

Alright, so restored may not be the correct word. Perhaps “maintained” is better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.. said:

The original version must be longer. I'm now sure this song was reworked & shortened just like Hard School & Silkworms were reworked & shortened. I really hope we get to hear it someday.

I believe we will eventually get the superior mixes as some bonus content, and/or through additional leaks. 

For anyone wanting to hear the version played on Japanese radio to my ears it sounds exactly the same. I’m pretty confident they just played the leak version - potentially by accident if someone had sent it to them and requested it.

I can’t believe Axl would put out a song with vocals that distorted and we have no evidence anyone has actually received the vinyl or CD.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Caedo said:

For anyone wanting to hear the version played on Japanese radio to my ears it sounds exactly the same. I’m pretty confident they just played the leak version - potentially by accident if someone had sent it to them and requested it.

I can’t believe Axl would put out a song with vocals that distorted and we have no evidence anyone has actually received the vinyl or CD.

Completely unrelated, but just saw your location. Rare to find another Aussie on this forum, even rarer to find another Tassie on the forum! Sending my Greetings from Devonport :lol::P

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1