THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Say what you want, don't necessarily care for either song too much (though I do like Ace), but, at least Ace & Baz had the fkn stones to write new songs that are representative of who they are now and didn't just fart out a song with a decades-old vocal take because they were either too lazy or too scared that they couldn't hack it anymore.

They put out brand new music because that's ostensibly what musicians are inclined to do.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, oneway23 said:

Say what you want, don't necessarily care for either song too much (though I do like Ace), but, at least Ace & Baz had the fkn stones to write new songs that are representative of who they are now and didn't just fart out a song with a decades-old vocal take.

A decade? Add another😄

55 minutes ago, LandOla said:

And? Did you like it?

Did anyone get "Monsters" included in their copy too?

Kidding. I wish. We'll probably never have a conclusive answer to that mystery. Wish that leaker would tell us, how...

So yea, it's messy and unhinged and from Oct 27th, I must of heard it around 50 times +...so any initial shock has subsided...so that helps to be in a level frame of mind when reviewing the song. For what it's worth, I quite like it...I know all its flaws and it isn't what I (or any of us frankly) expected but I love the darkness and the vibe. Also, of all the versions, my vinyl seems to really accentuate Duff's bass...maybe it's the better set up I'm playing though but that I noticed. Monsters - I do think they compliment each other wonderfully and if meant to be together, it's a shame they've been severed. TG and M. Subject matter and theme does play into the production choices but I absolutely can see why this song will totally divide fans...it's mostly one for the hardcore and ChiDem era fans and that's cool, as it's billed as a B-Side...Perhaps is the "commercial"  radio friendly tune. To be honest, I think the release schedule should of been Monsters "G" and General "R" with a follow up vinyl of Perhaps "G" and Atlas "R"....a much better cohesive wheelhouse in my opinion. Anyone else?  For what it's worth, it sounds messy but ok on vinyl...I listen in room and on good headphones...Do others agree, who own it? Mix aside of course....in the end, I'm just glad it's finally been released (for better or worse...) And we can stop going round in circles and frankly quoting and citing wrong info...like we were. Hopefully this is a lesson in caution, our investigative skills aren't always correct.

Let's not talk about cover quality....maybe the 2nd batch in the delay duffed that up too or was hurried...who knows 🤷‍♀️😒

I'm just glad we have, it's out....many debates can rage on and end...for a few weeks/months and then onto the anticipation of, ok.... what's next...in 2024/5 (and beyond)

The frogs! Is that a tribute to blackfrog then? 😉

Edited by colonizedmind

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

To be honest, I think the release schedule should of been Monsters "G" and General "R" with a follow up vinyl of Perhaps "G" and Atlas "R"....a much better cohesive wheelhouse in my opinion. Anyone else? 

Me and my wife were saying the same exact thing this morning...agree 100%

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tboneman said:

New Baz was alright but I liked new Ace even better for that new classic rock sounding song.

Where's the classic rock sound here? 🤔

What I understand as classic rock is 70s-80s (depends on what decade & genres you like more) but this is boring 2005-2010++ hard rock that lots of old (and some new that try to sound like "classic") bands started to play during that time..

That's what I like about GNR - that they don't do anything like that at all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fabrph5 said:

These "new" songs are just odd all around.  Listen to Sebastian Bachs NEW song.  Besides the fact that he still sounds really good, the overall sound is also really good.  Why can't this band just release something on that level?  A comment said, "I heard the new GnR and was filling bummed, then I heard this" Kind of my feelings as well.

The Sebastian Bach song is generic and sounds as cheesy as hell, I'd much rather have The General, even though I fucking hate the clipping. 

7 minutes ago, DingBat said:

The Sebastian Bach song is generic and sounds as cheesy as hell, I'd much rather have The General, even though I fucking hate the clipping. 

why do people have this NEED for generic rock. fuck me between ace frehly and bach, no one writes songs like "easy does it" by Coverdale & Page. 

shit even shake my tree. now THATS unique. but everyone seems content with boring, "Stock rock" 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Miden34 said:

why do people have this NEED for generic rock. fuck me between ace frehly and bach, no one writes songs like "easy does it" by Coverdale & Page. 

shit even shake my tree. now THATS unique. but everyone seems content with boring, "Stock rock" 

I know! I don't get it, but each to their own.

I remember looking at the comments section for that garbage Matt Sorum song he released earlier in the year and it was full of praise for the track, how he sounds better than Axl and this is the sort of music Guns should be making, etc, etc. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Miden34 said:

Honestly I’d rather listen to what crazy idea axl came up with rather than have them try to replicate what has been. 
I don’t even really care for intros and solos anymore like I did as a kid and honestly apart from production and mixing I really like all four of the songs. 
I couldn’t care less for a don’t cry 2.0, I’d rather get what’s left from the locker and if we are lucky enough some new stuff. 
to be honest my forbidden dream is for them to make a rock album with blues and country influences 😂

Edited by Lelex95
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Although there were several people warning that the leak was the final mix. I know the educated guess from people like me couldn't be taken as gospel, but still...

I think there is a lot of overreaction to this track. I knew for sure that it would be divisive, but it seems that the negativity is way out of proportion. I saw some popular Brazilian twitter account saying this was the worst thing ever, and to me this is obviously not true. And I get, regular non-fan people won't compare this to CD or things like Shotgun Blues and Reckless Life/Anything Goes (I like all of those songs, I just think the overall opinion on them are not so great), they will compare with their peak. Which is fair in a way, but it's also delusional because they will never write a new WTTJ or Estranged. 

I mean, if you don't like it, it's fine. But it's not the end of the world nor the band. 

I don't know if you read my post from a couple of hours ago but seems we're coming from similar angles and with clear heads that time has allowed...

11 minutes ago, Lelex95 said:

Honestly I’d rather listen to what crazy idea axl came up with rather than have them try to replicate what has been. 
I don’t even really care for intros and solos anymore like I did as a kid and honestly apart from production and mixing I really like all four of the songs. 
I couldn’t care less for a don’t cry 2.0, I’d rather get what’s left from the locker and if we are lucky enough some new stuff. 
to be honest my forbidden dream is for them to make a rock album with blues and country influences 😂

I totally understand this. Everyone wants them to make AFD part 2. AFD was the perfect album. And to try to not evolve AT ALL and just recreate something that was perfect in the moment for its time, would be a mistake. And what really bothers me, is there are the normy fans who know nothing about the history of the CD songs and think this is just what new gnr is capable of writing. we have NO IDEA what the new line-up is capable of writing cause we havent had ANYTHING actually new. 

Edited by Miden34
  • Like 4

4 (probably 5) finished songs we have since the reunion. Thrown in the live track release and we kinda have a Lies 2. Hoping for a couple more Singles 'N' B-sides  and we basically can form our own album from that. Then hopefully that can be a decent stopgap between this proper album that Slash wants to get to "sooner rather than later" 🤞

Where will we be release wise by Christmas '25. I wonder the thoughts of you guys....hope Vs expectation...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

4 (probably 5) finished songs we have since the reunion. Thrown in the live track release and we kinda have a Lies 2. Hoping for a couple more Singles 'N' B-sides  and we basically can form our own album from that. Then hopefully that can be a decent stopgap between this proper album that Slash wants to get to "sooner rather than later" 🤞

Where will we be release wise by Christmas '25. I wonder the thoughts of you guys....hope Vs expectation...

If we get atlas, monsters and state of grace it’s actually like we have a sort cd2 

oh my god is somehow out, it would be cool for them to acknowledge it even by simply putting it on the Spotify catalogue. 
that would be 8 tracks. 

• Like 1

2013 was my favorite year for music. 13 by Black Sabbath, The Diving Board By Elton John, LOVED fall out boys "Save Rock & Roll", Queeens of the stoneage ....Like Clockwork, The Civil Wars Self titled album, Paul McCartneys album "New". that was one of my favorite years for music. 2023 we got a New rolling stones album, a New beatles song("New"), the fucking General released, Ringo Starr had a nice little LP, Jethro Tull put out a decent record, i LOVE longfeather by Duff. for me NOTHING will beat that 2013 year. 3 of my top 5 favorite bands released albums that year and the fact that Paul McCartney, Black sabbath(With ozzy but without ward) and elton john released records in 2013 was pretty wild at the time. 2013 will always be my year but this year was pretty fucking ok man.