THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

2 hours ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

I’m sure 99% of those people would rather not listen to GnR 

I reckon only us the real fans still talk about gnr new songs, the average music listener doesn’t give a fu** unless it is something reeeeeeally outstanding , which is clearly not the case considering your peers opinions on decent material to sign up a band

• Like 2

I think they probably wanted to get out the lesser songs, (Absurd, H.S., Perhaps, T.G.) and the next batch will be the ones IMO that are more interesting, being: Atlas Shrugged, State Of Grace, Monsters and Devious bastards( This could be Oklahoma or zodiac, or a few other good demos from the village sessions.) Dont come at with "monsters is a remake of S.O.G.. No it is not. spare me.

i just feel like i NEED to hear duff do the bass lines in devious bastards. its MADE for duff brew

Just listened to it. It's great. Definitely in the omg/silkworms area. Lyrics and melody are great and love the groove.

This is from someone who kind of liked perhaps. 

I thought the lyrics were about childhood abuse at first

Now not sure? Maybe from school shooters perspective? Am I way off?!

• Like 1

This is a really great track. So gritty and dark with industrial tones and I love Slash's guitar work on it. Some of Axl's most sincere and dark lyrics ever. Is it hit single type material? No at all. And it's too short to be a classic GNR epic, but it doesn't have to be any of these things. It's a great track with some new musical direction and both Axl and Slash look really into it when they played it. Very glad to have it and I look forward to more stuff like this!

• Like 2

Songs not bad at all, liked it the 2nd time much more than the 1st quickly grew on me. I like Perhaps a little bit better.

I dont have a problem with GNR releasing "non-gnr'ish" material, everybody wants the next Paradise city but Ill take decent GNR music anytime as well.

• Like 2

I think the song is being torn apart a bit unfairly honestly. I understand the fanbase hyped this up to themselves for years, and I understand being disappointed after all the buildup. But this is a dark, gritty song about child abuse. This song was made to ease some pain, it was never meant to be sung along to while your drinking with friends. I love Slash's guitar work, and even if the lyrics are simple the emotion in Axl's voice is there. The effects are a bit much, but I guess they do help set the depressing mood. I get why it would do better as a B side, and if it was released on an album with actual rockers like Monsters I'm sure the reception would be better. The song is good for what it is, it was never going to be the next Estranged but that doesn't mean its not good 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, star said:

The General

Could almost be a Korn song.

The vocals sound way too processed. 

To be honest, i am not sure what to make of The General.

For sure it sounds far removed from the Appetite era. For me the Appetite reigns supreme :D

"Make Me Bad" by Korn reminded me of it.  Haha well the entire Issues album reminded me of "The General". 

2 hours ago, Axl2002 said:

I am really disappointed in this song. There is one good part and that is the chorus and even that part should be more powerful. The production : it simply sounds like a demo. Listen to anything on use your illusion or apppetite just for production comparisson its like night and day. All the hype and waiting for this this "the next estranged" haha. It`s a sad realization that there will never be another full album. I can not believe that Slash like this kind of songs. I wish they would never release another song if they don`t have better stuff in the vaults. For the casual fan they tarnish their legacy with releases like the general and absurd. To make it clear the whole thing sounds lazy with all the copy and paste verses. It seems Axl lost all his fire and inspiration and the last hurray was the release of chinese democracy (with some great tracks).

So now the diehards can go at me and tell me what a masterpiece this track is ;-)

Couldn’t be more spot on. It sounds almost like an amateur garage recording, not to mention the shallow lyrics and lack of solo. Don’t know how Slash accepted this, weird melody,no depth in guitar and it doesn’t sound like Slash at all. Sloppy. Who’s the producer? The next “estranged “ or “November rain”? Give me a break 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1