THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

4 minutes ago, NormisX said:

It's just mind boggling how can band this magnitude release something this horribly mixed... the kick drum is clipping like crazy on choruses

Surely, there's no way Axl wanted that version released is there?

Mixing is subjective up to a point, but once you're getting clipping someone has fucked up. 

I'd be interested to see if it's like that on the Vinyl too or if was it fixed for that and someone forgot to update the track for streaming. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nevergotochurch said:

Do Slash and Duff even play on this one? So far, the leftover Chinese Democracy stuff they’ve been releasing clearly has new bass and guitar work from Duff and Slash but the officially released version of The General sounds exactly the same as the leaked demo. Kinda weird. Does anyone know who plays on this?

There was no "leaked demo".

• Like 4

Just now, DingBat said:

Mixing is subjective up to a point, but once you're getting clipping someone has fucked up. 

I'd be interested to see if it's like that on the Vinyl too or if was it fixed for that and someone forgot to update the track for streaming. 

Yeah, not a fan of this mix overall, but that is subjective yes... but I have NEVER heard anything from major band released with this kind of clipping :(

1 minute ago, NormisX said:

Yeah, not a fan of this mix overall, but that is subjective yes... but I have NEVER heard anything from major band released with this kind of clipping :(

I have never heard anything like that from a major band either. I hope the band are made aware of it and fix it.

4 minutes ago, DingBat said:

It's not. I can crank my vinyl right up and it's fine. Tidal on the other hand is trying to kill my tweeters, insane popping and clipping. 

My vinyl had a 'made in Czech Republic' sticker on it. Maybe this pressing somehow escaped the badness

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Are you listening to the vinyl or the digital version? My vinyl is alright but Tidal is unbelievably bad

Youtube and Spotify... sounds exactly the same - horrible

1 minute ago, DingBat said:

I have never heard anything like that from a major band either. I hope the band are made aware of it and fix it.

If only we knew how to contact the band :D

6 minutes ago, nevergotochurch said:

What? Yes there was. It leaked a month or two ago when the official version was originally supposed to drop but it postponed until December. Someone leaked demos of The General and Monster. Anyway, why aren’t Slash and Duff on this? Who’s playing on it?

They weren't demos, they were just low-quality compressed leaks of the final versions.

The official version of The General is the same performance as the leak. Slash and Duff play on the leaks and they play on the version released today.

Edited by DingBat
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

As someone wise here once said:

"The real The General are the friends we made along the way."

Let's all gather around, everyone. Group hug! :) 

(There's still hope for more leaks of the Buckethead and/or Robin mixes of these songs)

I really appreciate your input on the forum, Robin. You're very talented guitar player and you take a lot of time out of your busy days to post here. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, nevergotochurch said:

Do Slash and Duff even play on this one? So far, the leftover Chinese Democracy stuff they’ve been releasing clearly has new bass and guitar work from Duff and Slash but the officially released version of The General sounds exactly the same as the leaked demo. Kinda weird. Does anyone know who plays on this?

That wasn't a demo. That was the final version 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DingBat said:

They weren't demos, they were just low-quality compressed leaks.

The official version of The General is the same performance as the leak. Slash and Duff play on the leaks and they play on the version released today.

Ohhh okay. Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression the leaked versions were more village sessions leaks. The sound like demos. I can’t believe those are final versions of the songs. Lmao awful

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

That wasn't a demo. That was the final version 

good lord

• Like 1

I'll add a few cents from myself. this is the first time I listened to this song. I've never heard of leaks.  I've no freaking idea how this song sounds on leaks and what the Monsters is.:shrugs:
To be honest, this is a very strange song. the lyrics seem very simple and very personal, obviously taken from Axl's childhood, which is heartbreaking.. But the music is hard for me to like, it's so cringy. As like a crazy clown was spinning a barrel organ right above your head. this is not, in my humble opinion, a song that people will be willing to listen to on the radio and that will  make them like Guns. Axl's vocals seem to be in a fog... it doesn't really appeal to me. After everything people wrote about The General, I thought it would be spectacular. I definitely prefer Perhaps, which I listen to with pleasure, e.g. when they play it on the radio while I work.I'm sorry, but I wouldn't like to hear this song live. I will repeat myself, this text would be extremely moving and touching if it were very extensive and in a different arrangement....:smiley-confused2:

ps. by the way, it probably wasn't that easy for Axl to talk about a part of his childhood, even in such a simple text. It's hard to hear about children being harmed.:(

• Like 2