THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

2 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

You're a prime example of what's wrong with internet culture 

he's a good poster imho. Just seems deeply let down for some childish reason. Like this is not Gn'R and it's not just rock music we feel so strongly about heh

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

he's a good poster imho. Just seems deeply let down for some childish reason. Like this is not Gn'R and it's not just rock music we feel so strongly about heh

He may be in general, but saying that slash must probably hate this song without having any clue about anything whatsoever is a prime example of toxicity among fanbases like this. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

He may be in general, but saying that slash must probably hate this song without having any clue about anything whatsoever is a prime example of toxicity among fanbases like this. 

when you're upset, you act like a silly fool. Doesn't mean he's usually a silly fool. In general, you're not wrong, but specifically with that poster, it doesn't reflect his usual post quality imo.

Edited by Rovim

21 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It's clearly her voice right at the beginning of this mess ("daddy don't").

The point is, I have a very hard time believing any of the band members think that this is a slamming tune. Because it is really, really bad. It just is. Just listen to that laughable bridge thingy. The ending sounds just like something Dustin Bones would do, it's so bad it's like a parody.

You can sit there in your stonewashed Perhaps sweatpants and ignore the truth and force yourself  to like this abomination, but why?

My missus loves the song and she has zero investment in GNR. She likes them "for one of your bands" but never listens to them without me. We share a joint Spotify account and I saw she'd listened to it twice off her own back the other day when I was at work. Do you think she's "forcing herself to like it"??

• Like 4

Just now, Towelie said:

My missus loves the song and she has zero investment in GNR. She likes them "for one of your bands" but never listens to them without me. We share a joint Spotify account and I saw she'd listened to it twice off her own back the other day when I was at work. Do you think she's "forcing herself to like it"??

Yes. Because there is no subjectivity in music or art, something is objectively good or bad & if you don't like something I do or you like something i don't then there is something wrong with you. (eg) There are people who love hardcore EDM music which is why we all love hardcore EDM music..

You see?? If your view is different to mine is some way then it's you who are the problem. 

(this is sarcasm in case that wasn't obvious)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It's clearly her voice right at the beginning of this mess ("daddy don't").

The point is, I have a very hard time believing any of the band members think that this is a slamming tune. Because it is really, really bad. It just is. Just listen to that laughable bridge thingy. The ending sounds just like something Dustin Bones would do, it's so bad it's like a parody.

You can sit there in your stonewashed Perhaps sweatpants and ignore the truth and force yourself  to like this abomination, but why?

I thought it was Slash's voice!

But wait, there is a Perhaps sweatpants?!

19 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Ok, I'll stop. Just saying, if you like "The General" in it's released state you will like ANYTHING that has Axl Rose on vocals, anything.

Here's a reaction video I'd agree with 100%, I won't comment anymore on this.

friendly reminder: just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not good. You seem to not get that and throwing a tantrum just cause you don't like the track, even posting a reaction video on top of that to make matters worse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lio said:

Also, I don't like the tiedye sweatpants myself, but seriously, some people should try not to be so judgmental (it's almost Christmas after all!). Live and let live. You're not by definition a sad person if you bought the sweatpants or if you like The General. People who believe that, should grow up. Not liking The General or tiedye pants doesn't make you a superior human being.

It's just a song, it's just a band. It's a pity if you don't like it, but please don't let it have such an impact that you actually get emotional about it.

Honestly the whole shaming other people for their purchases thing is incredibly lame and I see it constantly in this fandom. Like you said, it doesn't make you a better person and it's incredibly lame and annoying behavior.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Not true. I've always said If The World is horseshit but I like The General.

If the world vs The general isn't a fair fight. If the world blows out of the water with ease. As it does EVERY new song they've released in the last few years. Better vocals, better arrangement, better solos, actual finished lyrics not just a verse and chorus, great performance overall. Not for everybody of course, but I would have 20 if the world's over these songs.

15 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Maiden and the Stones write fresh, quality music that appeals to their bases. GnR release dates 20-year old rejects. You don’t see the difference?

It’s a great record

20 year old songs not rejects. And we know this but a lot of people don't know it.

Maiden and Stones didn't release a big hit since 20 years or more, as Bon Jovi, AC/DC, etc. You can like some songs or every song from this groups but the reallity is that there isn't one big hit in their last 20 years catalogue. They coudl release a lot of new music and in their shows the majority will ask for the same songs.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Ok, I'll stop. Just saying, if you like "The General" in it's released state you will like ANYTHING that has Axl Rose on vocals, anything.

I like The General but I really don't like If The World, This I Love, Anything Goes, Bad Obsession, plus a few more songs with Axl on vocals. Mind blown? 

Now, is everything okay with you or are you going to continue to embarrass yourself? 

Edited by SoulMonster

14 minutes ago, Lio said:

This is getting funny. How can people be so upset about a song that they think (or force themselves to think) that anyone who likes it is forcing themselves to like it? I can't speak for everyone, but I am a mother in my forties. I'm mature enough to know what I like and what I don't like. I don't care who likes or doesn't like it. In fact, everyone could've already predicted many people would be disappointed. Because of the hype, and because GNR generally seems to be disappointing people. But that's okay, it doesn't have any impact at all on my enjoying the song.

Also, I don't like the tiedye sweatpants myself, but seriously, some people should try not to be so judgmental (it's almost Christmas after all!). Live and let live. You're not by definition a sad person if you bought the sweatpants or if you like The General. People who believe that, should grow up. Not liking The General or tiedye pants doesn't make you a superior human being.

It's just a song, it's just a band. It's a pity if you don't like it, but please don't let it have such an impact that you actually get emotional about it.

I always thought you were a man lol

• Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 2

56 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Not nessecarily. I love The General, every part of it, I think it lives up to the hype and it's fierce and dark and really a perfect blend of all the CD elements I liked. But I'm not a fan of everything he does or has done on the locker discs. I think Nothing is abysmal for example. 

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Nope. I just prefer The General to Riad, Scraped, TIL, Shotgun Blues, Get In The Ring, Right Next Door To Hell, Garden of Eden, Bad Apples and Anything Goes.

On 12/9/2023 at 11:38 PM, Blackstar said:

And it's not even months since it leaked (it's only 6 weeks). I'm sure that by the time Monsters is released it will be slammed as being "shit", too.

I always loved monsters from the first listen but the general has always been a my world/absurd type track to me. Never been a fan of it.

Monsters is probably the strongest track we have from the reunion. 

On 12/9/2023 at 1:30 PM, Cosmo said:

It’s funny how this track has leaked for months now and, pretty much up until its release, people were excited, the overall feeling was “Its an okay song, but hell yeah we’re finally getting The General!” And then suddenly, it became an embarassing shitshow of a song that is worse than My World. The herd effect here is way too strong. All it takes is a few better known posters saying it’s shit for the dominoes to start falling and the whole boards suddenly think so too. 

Best post in this thread so far.

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Surprised so many people dislike this. I think it's alright. Probably on par with Riad and Scraped. Where I think it's let down is the mixing and the uninspired work from Slash. To be frank, I haven't really cared much for his contributions to hard school or perhaps either. Maybe he's not connecting with the material or it sounds half baked because he's playing on a finished track. In any case, this seems like a personal song to Axl and it's an experimental tune which is always to be commended.

I have no issue with the song itself. I actually like it. The biggest issue to me is the horrendous mixing. You can't compare it to Riad & Scraped in that regard. Whether you like those songs or not, it's undeniable how much better they sound. The next big issue with The General I have is the hype surrounding it. We didn't trick ourselves, we were made to believe this track was going to be a grand epic, and in that regard, it is unfortunately mediocre at best. But like I said, I do like the song. Just wish it was mixed like they actually gave a fuck, and they didnt spend 20 years mythologizing something that nowhere near deserved it

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

This whole Chinese era is such a fucking drag. We've been going this road for over 20 years now and it still hasn't stopped. I hope they just release what's left from that era and move on. That's my hope for 24. Enough with all the CD era stuff. Yes, we got some good songs out of it, but the band needs to create its own new legacy and that's not gonna work with axl's leftovers. That being said, I really hope they release monsters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1