THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

On 12/10/2023 at 2:28 PM, Illusion1987 said:

Maybe, Izzy was the only member of the band that truly understood how to write inspiring songs.

Better was the closest and there were a few strong Axl heavy songs on CD but nothing has captured the energy and brilliance of  most of the iconic tracks from AFD/ Lies/ UYI.

What we are getting.now are lifeless methodical low level type of songs. 

Repetitive lyrics...no hooks...just lifeless.

They can work on these songs for 50 years and it won't matter. Anyone here can take the General and find ways to make it more interesting. It literally hurts my ears to listen to.

I just think either A) they are NOW musically incompetent in understanding what a great song is or B) they don't care and are going the "mail it in route "

Ironically, Rock the Rock had more life and I'm guessing that was a pre written song they just needed Axl to drop vocals on...lol

It reminds me of the two latest movies I've seen from Scorsese and Ridley Scott...those two directors are legends but at some point they FORGOT what made them great and they just turn out "Yes Men" type of bloated unwatchable  crap...and that's with great actors and all of the money and creative freedom in the world at their disposal. 

If this is true then why aren't more gnr fans listening to Izzy's solo material? I think his music without the others is a bit forgettable, not bad but they sound like demos 

His material as the foundation, but Duff, Slash and Axl all worked on it to make it what it became. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

To be fair, none of them on their own have produced anything remotely close to the heights of their heyday, but, I'd take Better, The Blues, TWAT, TIL, and Madagascar over anything any of them have done since 1993.

Slash 2010 had some bangers. I wish they would bust out one or 2 during GNR shows...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Slash 2010 had some bangers. I wish they would bust out one or 2 during GNR shows...

Not for me.  I'm glad fans are into it, and that he has a successful creative outlet, but, it's a all just a little too middle of the road for me.

Just got my vinyl after weeks of waiting... Being the EU version it's pixelated (in a way that looks far worse in person that it does in pictures). My copy is also fairly scratched up from the get go which, combined with the mix of the General, makes for a delightful listening experience. :axl:

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

If this is true then why aren't more gnr fans listening to Izzy's solo material? I think his music without the others is a bit forgettable, not bad but they sound like demos 

His material as the foundation, but Duff, Slash and Axl all worked on it to make it what it became. 

I completely agree with your last statement. Patience and You Could Be Mine are prime examples of Izzy songs that were elevated to all time classics with the input of the rest of the band.

I think the lack of sales for Izzy after the first album has to do with a couple of factors; Izzy’s voice is not Axl’s and Rick Richards is good but not Slash level with his solos & Izzy barely promoted anything after Ju Ju Hounds. Both River and Ride On are full of songs that could have made for amazing Guns songs had they been developed by Axl, Slash and Duff. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, General2112 said:

I’ve been away from this thread for a while. Can anyone confirm that Monsters isn’t on the Japanese cd

It's hidden on YouTube & so on....hidden track on a cd  🤣 

Fuck me, like people thought it actually would be 🤡 ( reddit users all did ) 

Just like we do here in text form, I sometimes.enjoying hearing others opinions in visual form...hearing stuff you didn't hear or just a wildly different take...always the beauty of art.

This dude really appreciates the hip-hop sensibilities of "The General" (think that's mainly Brains influence)

This gal knows the history and where Axl is coming from...quite a personal take. (BTW can you not say words like "abuse" on YT anymore? 😦)

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

This gal knows the history and where Axl is coming from...quite a personal take. (BTW can you not say words like "abuse" on YT anymore? 😦)

Certain words like Abuse and Suicide are often bleeped out as i believe people can be demonetized for using them. 

22 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Do you think it was ever the plan to include Monsters? If they were, I assume they would have also planned to do that on the Japanese CD, and I highly doubt they disposed of and re-made all those CD less Monsters just because of the vinyl issues in two months. 

Its better than perhaps and the general.  Hopefully gets released with AS

1 minute ago, fabrph5 said:

Its better than perhaps and the general.  Hopefully gets released with AS

That would be a nice single pair. Though I’d prefer unheard stuff, maybe pair Monsters with an unheard song and same with Atlas if they can manage to prevent more leaks. 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

That would be a nice single pair. Though I’d prefer unheard stuff, maybe pair Monsters with an unheard song and same with Atlas if they can manage to prevent more leaks. 😂 

or just release the 4 we've had with another 6 and call it an album..

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

or just release the 4 we've had with another 6 and call it an album..

Hard Skool

Absurd

Perhaps

The General

Atlas Shrugged 

Monsters

Oklahoma / Berlin

Seven

Duff song

Cover song 

I could live with such an album

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

even better idea!

Edited by fabrph5
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Hard Skool

Absurd

Perhaps

The General

Atlas Shrugged 

Monsters

Oklahoma / Berlin

Seven

Duff song

Cover song 

I could live with such an album

I think we're definitely heading to a point that a compilation album will be viable as we know Atlas and Monsters are viable (and the latter's already been done by Slash and Duff) so we'll be up to six after the next release. Just leaves four gaps to bring it to ten. If they're that pushed for material then Eye on You and/or State of Grace could be dusted off or just get Slash and Duff to work their magic on Oh My God. I mean, I'd even be up for a Slash/Duff version of Better (given DJ did a version of it back in the day) or another Chinese song. I'm hoping there are some unheard songs with Axl's vocals in the vault though. 

Given Tommy did two songs and Ron added stuff to the new OMG, it's mad to think that they could have put another album out around the 2010 era if they wanted to. HS, AbsurdPerhaps, The GeneralTen Percenter, Going Down, Atlas, Monsters, OMG, State of GraceEye on You. Sure there's some filler there but they could have put some singles out at the least and this was the era that the Pumpkins and other bands were just putting singles out. 

Edited by Seb91
  • Like 1