THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

11 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I don't know. I guess it's exciting to have a real piece of CD2, even though it's mixed like shit with mediocre lead guitar compared to the Bucket/Robin versions. 

The comparison to crap quality, basically elaborated guitar work all the while people are complaining about the engineering of the actual track is rather amusing.

3 hours ago, alfa75 said:

The comparison to crap quality, basically elaborated guitar work all the while people are complaining about the engineering of the actual track is rather amusing.

Both are valid arguments. Hard Skool and The General seemed to suffer most from poor production. The unwelcome guitar parts just add to the chaos. 

3 hours ago, alfa75 said:

The mix on the CD sounds noticeably better for TG to my ears. I ripped it to Apple Music so I could have the “better” version on my phone.

Interesting, I’ll test mine out when it comes. Is there still clipping on TG? A waveform comparison would be definitive. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Both are valid arguments. Hard Skool and The General seemed to suffer most from poor production. The unwelcome guitar parts just add to the chaos. 

Interesting, I’ll test mine out when it comes. Is there still clipping on TG? A waveform comparison would be definitive. 

The guitar parts on both tracks are what safe the songs somehow 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

On 12/28/2023 at 1:08 PM, Sweersa said:

I wonder why they are only seemingly doing a Japanese CD release this time. Hard Skool and Absurd got the works, trifecta. CD, vinyl, and audio cassette! 

My guess would simply be that the Hard Skool CD didn't sell well in the US.  Also I believe Japan still buys CDs at the highest rate in the world today (CD sales are still really good there!).

23 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I’m by no means an expert, but it just sounds a bit clearer and each instrument is a bit more distinct from the others. Now that I’m used to  it this way, it’s my default version so I still notice some imperfections, but listening back to back, for me the quality jump was clear. 

It’s sadly not at the level of any of their releases up until CD. (OMG excepted) Maybe side 1 of LIES as well, but that’s excusable given the stage of their career.  Now it’s harder to justify.

I do remember Metallica getting lots of criticism for Death Magnetic, so I guess that’s the closest parallel. In fact, I think Black Album was the first of their albums that sounded “good” whereas AFD was spot on and still holds up now, IMO.