Unleaked songs

As far as the old stuff goes, it was never recorded as a studio track but I would love to hear the rehearsal of Bloodshot Eye's. If anyone knows or still speaks to Marc Canter then ask him about it sometime. It became an LA Guns song but there is meant to be a rehearsal of it by GNR from 85. I think everyone else covered the known about songs from later era's.

17 hours ago, Draguns said:

I would love to hear completed tracks from the 94-96 sessions. Additionally, Down By The Ocean  is something I would like to hear. 

I was a member of the GNR Fan Club in '94, I remember they used to send out a newsletter every so often, and one had a quote from Duff saying something like "Don't believe the bullshit, we are working on new songs", or something like that.  I know he has a writing credit for Beggars and Hangers On, which of course became a Snakepit song, but I'd love to hear what else they worked on before things imploded

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ericstacey said:

I was a member of the GNR Fan Club in '94, I remember they used to send out a newsletter every so often, and one had a quote from Duff saying something like "Don't believe the bullshit, we are working on new songs", or something like that.  I know he has a writing credit for Beggars and Hangers On, which of course became a Snakepit song, but I'd love to hear what else they worked on before things imploded

This one? It must have been summer of 1995

OldFanclub15.JPG

https://www.troccolitm.com/IntlFnClb.html

• Like 4

There's also that snippet of a demo of what became Back and Forth Again that has a whistling melody, presumably by Axl. I believe that it was played in the documentary for the making of the Estranged video. As it was only a snippet, there could be a longer version.

• Like 2

• Beta's Barn (Not known if it even has vocals)
  • Berlin / Oklahoma (Not known if it even has vocals)
  • Seven (Not known if it even has vocals)
  • Ides of March (Not known if it even has vocals)
  • Thyme (Not known if it even has vocals)
  • Zodiac (Not known if it even has vocals)
  • A finished version of Nothing (if it even exists)
  • An officially released version of State of Grace
  • An officially released version of Atlas Shrugged
  • An officially released version of Eye on You
  • Cuban Skies, Dragon, Light My Fire and whatever other songs that have been written on lists that some people say are real
Edited by Uncle Bob
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 9:24 AM, axl666 said:

Did GNR ever give an reasons why:

Just Another Sunday, Too Much Too Fast, Ain't going down & Bring it Down Home  were never released, even as b-sides? There's some good melodies in there.

They were more West Arkeen songs than theirs, according to Axl.

EDIT: didn’t realize someone already answered, sorry.

Edited by rocknroll41

On 12/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, Blackstar said:

Ain't Going Down was going to be on UYI and then on TSI, but according to Slash it was left out because it was unfinished (needed more vocals) and it eventually ended up on the pinball machine.

Regarding the other three, they haven't given a reason, but I suppose it's the same reason as with Crash Diet: they were really West Arkeen songs he wanted to shop to record labels that members of GN'R helped him with, not GN'R songs. They just picked some of West's songs that they wanted to record themselves (The Garden, Yesterdays, Bad Obsession - and it seems Just Another Sunday was briefly considered, too) and the rest were his. The whole misunderstanding with these songs being considered as "unreleased GN'R songs" is due to a bootlegger back in the day randomly calling them "Unwanted Illusions".

Is the pinball version a recording from 93 with gilby?

10 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

There is the Christmas EP from a few years ago, but apparently Axl wasn't keen on a releasing it because the label wanted it out for the Christmas season but he felt it should get an October release. 

What is this about?

On 12/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, Blackstar said:

Ain't Going Down was going to be on UYI and then on TSI, but according to Slash it was left out because it was unfinished (needed more vocals) and it eventually ended up on the pinball machine.

Regarding the other three, they haven't given a reason, but I suppose it's the same reason as with Crash Diet: they were really West Arkeen songs he wanted to shop to record labels that members of GN'R helped him with, not GN'R songs. They just picked some of West's songs that they wanted to record themselves (The Garden, Yesterdays, Bad Obsession - and it seems Just Another Sunday was briefly considered, too) and the rest were his. The whole misunderstanding with these songs being considered as "unreleased GN'R songs" is due to a bootlegger back in the day randomly calling them "Unwanted Illusions".

West was a big helper in the day. Was there ever consideration to making him an unofficial sixth member or at least a more consistent songwriting partner? 

On 12/9/2023 at 3:55 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

I can see why people think Down By The Ocean = Box, but Box was released over a year before Axl mentioned DBTO. We know he listened to Slash and Duff's albums back then, there's no reason to think he wouldn't have been aware of Box and the rest of Izzy's songs... maybe they're similar, but I doubt they're the same song.

Izzy first mentioned Down By The Ocean in (I think) 2001 or 2002. In a translated interview from Poplar 1 he said he recorded 10 demos with Duff in April 95 over the course of a week, and specifically names one of them as being called either "Down by the ocean" or " Down by the sea". I agree that Box is a different song, but it's quite funny that Box has both of those potential song titles in its lyrics. Also funny that Izzy refers to GnRs rehearsal place back in the Appetite days as "The Box", another nice little reference to Guns there.

To go a little deeper with the lore, there's an unreleased Ju Ju Hounds song called 'The Ocean' recorded in 1993. It was later reworked and  released under a different name on his 2001 River album (it's one of the reggae tracks), but some time in the mid 90's Izzy had Slash record a heavier "Black Sabbath-esque" version of the song (also unreleased, because Izzy considered it to be too dark).

Would love to hear all these takes one day to see how connected/similar they are.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, willl said:

Izzy first mentioned Down By The Ocean in (I think) 2001 or 2002. In a translated interview from Poplar 1 he said he recorded 10 demos with Duff in April 95 over the course of a week, and specifically names one of them as being called either "Down by the ocean" or " Down by the sea". I agree that Box is a different song, but it's quite funny that Box has both of those potential song titles in its lyrics. Also funny that Izzy refers to GnRs rehearsal place back in the Appetite days as "The Box", another nice little reference to Guns there.

To go a little deeper with the lore, there's an unreleased Ju Ju Hounds song called 'The Ocean' recorded in 1993. It was later reworked and  released under a different name on his 2001 River album (it's one of the reggae tracks), but some time in the mid 90's Izzy had Slash record a heavier "Black Sabbath-esque" version of the song (also unreleased, because Izzy considered it to be too dark).

Would love to hear all these takes one day to see how connected/similar they are.

Machine Gun and Toothpuller also come from those sessions

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 11:51 PM, DTV88 said:

What is this about?

They prepared an EP with one side of CD leftovers and one side of Christmas covers. 

It was supposed to come out years ago, but Axl couldn't get clearance for the samples from the Rudolph movie. 

When he finally got clearance, he refused to release the album in December, and by then the pandemic happened. 

It's trading in secret Brazilian secret societies. I took a plane ride last year and was able to hear it over the phone. Axl sounds surprisingly strong on 'I Caught Mommy Blowing Santa Claus', the snippet from Rudolph' sounded like it was a holdover from NuGuns though, lots of hip hop beats, almost like Irving Berlin remixed by Trent Reznor with the sensibilities of Bret Michaels. 

I don't think we get it how that The General and Monsters leaked. The hoarders who played it over the phone wanted more iTunes gift cards for me to hear the rest of it, but my grocery store wouldn't sell me anymore after I carefully explained that I was sending them to a Brazilian man I met off the Internet so that he would play me snippets of an unreleased Guns N' Roses Christmas album. For some reason, they thought I was the victim of a scam. 

Edited by gunsnchalupas

On 12/9/2023 at 3:16 AM, Blackstar said:

The piano and acoustic versions were from the Sound City sessions with Manny Charlton. The "18 minute version" is most likely the piano version that we have and Slash just misremembered the length.

I believe the 18 minute version is just November Rain + Estranged as one song, at least that's what Matt Sorum said recently on a podcast

1 hour ago, Moro said:

I believe the 18 minute version is just November Rain + Estranged as one song, at least that's what Matt Sorum said recently on a podcast

The context what Slash said is that the "18 minute" version was pre-AFD, so it doesn't seem very likely that Estranged existed back then. I think Matt said it was two songs, but they were rehearsing them together.

6 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

They prepared an EP with one side of CD leftovers and one side of Christmas covers. 

It was supposed to come out years ago, but Axl couldn't get clearance for the samples from the Rudolph movie. 

When he finally got clearance, he refused to release the album in December, and by then the pandemic happened. 

It's trading in secret Brazilian secret societies. I took a plane ride last year and was able to hear it over the phone. Axl sounds surprisingly strong on 'I Caught Mommy Blowing Santa Claus', the snippet from Rudolph' sounded like it was a holdover from NuGuns though, lots of hip hop beats, almost like Irving Berlin remixed by Trent Reznor with the sensibilities of Bret Michaels. 

I don't think we get it how that The General and Monsters leaked. The hoarders who played it over the phone wanted more iTunes gift cards for me to hear the rest of it, but my grocery store wouldn't sell me anymore after I carefully explained that I was sending them to a Brazilian man I met off the Internet so that he would play me snippets of an unreleased Guns N' Roses Christmas album. For some reason, they thought I was the victim of a scam. 

What the hell have you been smoking? 😂

Unless it's from the mid-nineties when Slash was still there, I could not give less of a damn. Seriously. This has all gotten to the point where it feels like someone heading out to the graveyard at midnight to dig up a loved one's corpse. We've done it enough, now. It's over. Let it go.

Edited by Nintari