Unleaked songs

So what exists that we haven't heard at all? Using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Guns_N'_Roses#Unreleased_songs and personal knowledge, here's the list of songs we've never heard.

-The 17 minute version of November Rain that allegedly exists

-studio It Tastes Good, Don't It (from both the AfD and UYI sessions)

-A Beer and a Cigarette (Hanoi rocks cover from the UYI sessions)

-Down on the Street (The Stooges cover from the UYI sessions)

-Just Another Sunday, Too Much Too Fast, & Bring it Down Home from the UYI sessions

-The Nu-Guns versions of The General & Monsters

-The CD-era versions of the Locker Leak songs (I'm sure Ron & Frank contributed something to those over the years)

-Ides of March

-Seven

-Anything potentially with DJ Ashba on it (he apparently worked a lot with Axl individually)

- All I Ever Wanted, Dragon & We Were Lying (which might not be real but have been mentioned)

Am I missing anything?

Edited by Gimmick
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gimmick said:

I know they had the older versions were leaked but did the ones from the UYI sessions?

I don't think these were recorded again for the UYI sessions, aside from maybe Just Another Sunday (which I think Duff mentioned once in 1990)?

As for CD stuff, there's Cuban Skies, Monstrosity, Light My Fire, Tonto with vocals, and a more finished version of Nothing, if we're going by the CD2 email list. We know Ron and DJ submitted songs but apparently Axl never worked on them...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Didn't the ~18 min version of November Rain also have something to do with Manny Charlton? 

The piano and acoustic versions were from the Sound City sessions with Manny Charlton. The "18 minute version" is most likely the piano version that we have and Slash just misremembered the length.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Down By The Ocean  is something I would like to hear. 

Me too! I wonder if it was later turned into or similar to Izzy's "Box" song. That one has "down by the ocean" from "lives in a box down by the ocean" which is part of the catchy Sweet Home Alabama sounding chorus in Izzy's solo song. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I would love to hear completed tracks from the 94-96 sessions. Additionally, Down By The Ocean  is something I would like to hear. 

With vocals? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the only 'completed' song was the re-worked Ain't Goin' Down that they used in the pinball machine, and I think that was done either late '93 or early '94. Maybe This I Love too, if that counts. But by all accounts there weren't many 'complete' songs with vocals in the mid '90s.

9 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Me too! I wonder if it was later turned into or similar to Izzy's "Box" song. That one has "down by the ocean" from "lives in a box down by the ocean" which is part of the catchy Sweet Home Alabama sounding chorus in Izzy's solo song. 

I can see why people think Down By The Ocean = Box, but Box was released over a year before Axl mentioned DBTO. We know he listened to Slash and Duff's albums back then, there's no reason to think he wouldn't have been aware of Box and the rest of Izzy's songs... maybe they're similar, but I doubt they're the same song.

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

With vocals? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the only 'completed' song was the re-worked Ain't Goin' Down that they used in the pinball machine, and I think that was done either late '93 or early '94. Maybe This I Love too, if that counts. But by all accounts there weren't many 'complete' songs with vocals in the mid '90s.

I can see why people think Down By The Ocean = Box, but Box was released over a year before Axl mentioned DBTO. We know he listened to Slash and Duff's albums back then, there's no reason to think he wouldn't have been aware of Box and the rest of Izzy's songs... maybe they're similar, but I doubt they're the same song.

I don't know. All I do know is remembering Matt Sorum stating they had 7 completed songs and 7 songs that they were working on at that time period. Additionally, there seems to have been ideas during that era so I'm very curious to hear that. 

21 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

As Gordon stated, it seems to be different songs.

1 minute ago, Draguns said:

I don't know. All I do know is remembering Matt Sorum stating they had 7 completed songs and 7 songs that they were working on at that time period. Additionally, there seems to have been ideas during that era so I'm very curious to hear that. 

I remember that quote, but I think Matt was talking about instrumentally complete songs. I also remember someone (not sure if it was Matt, Gilby, or someone else) saying Axl only had lyrics for the verse of one song and the chorus of another song. It would be cool to hear those songs, but probably similar to the instrumental Village leaks - some cool ideas but I'd only listen to (most of) them a couple times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

- You Could Be Mine demo from the AFD sessions (journalist Paul Elliot said that he heard it when he interviewed the band at the time of the Marquee shows in 1987). It's unclear if it had vocals though.

the things i would do to hear this (if it has vocals)

easily my holy grail

6 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

the things i would do to hear this (if it has vocals)

easily my holy grail

If I remember correctly, that journalist said it didn’t have vocals and that Duff and Izzy had to sing the lyrics live to him as they were playing the tape. But I think the “insiders” have said there is a recording of Axl singing several UYI songs (YCBM, Coma, etc.) with the band at a mates rehearsal in 1989.

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It could be a track that we already have, but Axl mentioned that Robin did a Stevie Ray Vaughan type of solo in an unreleased song. 

I've been wondering about that quote. Does any track from the locker leaks fit that description?