Rank your Chinese Democravy era songs

20 hours ago, Amir said:

1. TWAT: Perfection. The nuGNR masterpiece.

2. Madagascar: Axl's voice on this is what made me a GNR/Axl fan, so impressed by his versatility. Was surprised people hated his vocals on the album version.

3. Sorry: This along with Maddy were the first two ChiDem songs I really got into. Love the lyrics as well ("it's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me").

4. Prostitute: Epic drumming from Brain and those Bucket solos in the outro are great, love the lyrics, too (when I can make them out).

5. TIL: I know hardcore GNR fans hate it but I'm certain this could've been a crossover hit if it had been released as a single à la November Rain.

6. Chinese Democracy: I love the extended intro and Bucket solo on the album version, but the punchy bass and numetal sound of the 2000 mix is cool, too.

7. Better

8. IRS: Love this, happy I got to hear it twice in London 2010, some great guitar work and Axl's screams are epic.

9. Eye On You: some guitars in the outro could bump this up a spot or two, love the groove.

10. ABSURD: Would never expect that THIS would be the song that Slash improved the most, but he 100% did in my eyes.

11. Perhaps (2000 Village mix)

12. Shackler's: I love that "no one is a-stopping you" refrain

13. Catcher: Evader made a mix for me where the intro is less busy, makes it a lot easier to listen to, and I love Bumble's solo.

14. Oh My God: The disco beat is funky, Navarro solo is out there, a fun rocker, pissed off though that the copy I paid for off iTunes has been removed. Wasn't a fan of the changes to the later leak.

15. Atlas (New Brain drums): Man, that intro is epic.

16. Hard Skool (with Freese drums + Slash guitar - school bell)

17. Scraped: I dig this, wish I got to hear it live, Axl really goes for it, really captures his bipolar nature.

18. ITW: Used to listen to this a lot more,  I dig the funky '70s "Black Bond" vibe.

19. State of Grace: Axl at his most NIN'y, obviously dig the screaming, wish he would enunciate a bit more, hopefully this was a scratch take

20. Riad: 2000 Village mix is fun with the bass and no extended intro, the one song where I unreservedly prefer the 2000 mix to the album version.

21. The General: Indivdual elements are cool, it just doesn't come together as a whole. I'm sure if I'd have heard 15 second leaks à la Hard Skool I'd have been dying to hear it only to be disappointed with the full song.

22. SOD: I actually prefer the album version as it has the added outro vocals, but no version of this song really does anything for me.

23. Monsters: the chorus does not work for me at all, I do like the infamous screaming bridge, though. Really want to hear the Finck/Bucket version of this.

Madagascar could have been in my top3 ChiDem songs if it weren’t for those quotes that ruin the experience for me. A great example of the phrase “less is more”. Axl sounds amazing on it. 

Sorry is simple but great. An atmospheric tune with BH’s most tasteful guitar solo imo. Even if the guitar work on TWAT and on some of his solo albums are more impressive and technically superior to Sorry, I have never heard him do better, it’s short and crisp, almost perfection.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

I noticed two things with this thread.

1. The misspelled "Chinese Democravy" title 
  2. Madagascar's lyrics is as repetitive as Perhaps, The General and Hard Skool, but I guess that's tend to be overlooked

Madagascar and Hard Skool have two verses at least, Perhaps and The General only really have one.

• Like 2
  • PERHAPS 1

13 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Madagascar could have been in my top3 ChiDem songs if it weren’t for those quotes that ruin the experience for me. A great example of the phrase “less is more”. Axl sounds amazing on it. 

Sorry is simple but great. An atmospheric tune with BH’s most tasteful guitar solo imo. Even if the guitar work on TWAT and on some of his solo albums are more impressive and technically superior to Sorry, I have never heard him do better, it’s short and crisp, almost perfection.

I don't mind the quotes, they just go on way too long. Drop a couple in over a bar or two for effect. We don't need like 16 bars of it.

Agreed on Sorry, it sounds like a solo Slash could have written back in 1990.

Best to worst:

Better

This I Love

Street of dreams

There was a time

Madagascar

Shacklers

Sorry

Chinese

Prostitute

If The world

I.R.S

OMG (end of days soundtrack version)

Perhaps

Catcher

Scraped

Rhiad

HardSkool

Absurd

The General

10 hours ago, Amir said:

Madagascar and Hard Skool have two verses at least, Perhaps and The General only really have one.

Yeah, the reason the Madagascar lyrics get a pass is that the vocal gets more interesting in terms of rhythm and layering, Perhaps/Hardskool etc. use the same phrasing so it feels like a loop.

• Like 2

out of the demo/unreleased stuff

SOG

Atlas

Monsters - this could be a great song, but it needs new parts OR at the very least it needs a new chorus, that part stinks! completely off putting change that doesn't fit with the rest of the song and the vocal melody is so... well, it's just so blah! I'd actually remake Monsters and have the verse with regular Axl and then the other verse where he goes demon Axl, and build an entirely different song either side of each verse, this could be an interesting Mygnr project!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I don't mind the quotes, they just go on way too long. Drop a couple in over a bar or two for effect. We don't need like 16 bars of it.

Agreed on Sorry, it sounds like a solo Slash could have written back in 1990.

That’s what I meant with the quotes. I wouldn’t mind them either but this part is ridiculously long and the music way to good to get buried underneath ’em.

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

That’s what I meant with the quotes. I wouldn’t mind them either but this part is ridiculously long and the music way to good to get buried underneath ’em.

I think of the quotes as being part of the lyrics. 

I was kinda joking about Madagascar lyrics, but my main problem with the song is how the chord progression - which is already very, very basic - is reused for the whole song. I know it's all about the layers and different arrangements, but I think the song would really benefit with a new section with different chords.

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Monsters - this could be a great song, but it needs new parts OR at the very least it needs a new chorus, that part stinks! completely off putting change that doesn't fit with the rest of the song and the vocal melody is so... well, it's just so blah! I'd actually remake Monsters and have the verse with regular Axl and then the other verse where he goes demon Axl, and build an entirely different song either side of each verse, this could be an interesting Mygnr project!

Have to agree. The chorus is really what brings this song down to me. And it's also repetitive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I think of the quotes as being part of the lyrics. 

I was kinda joking about Madagascar lyrics, but my main problem with the song is how the chord progression - which is already very, very basic - is reused for the whole song. I know it's all about the layers and different arrangements, but I think the song would really benefit with a new section with different chords.

Have to agree. The chorus is really what brings this song down to me. And it's also repetitive. 

I think the chorus works only in the context. I agree that it doesn’t fit naturally. A dark agressive chorus like the one of The General would fit better. Having said that, Slash’s lead melodies are based on the happy mooded chorus so that wouldn’t fit either. 

They should have found a way to combine these two tracks into one great epic, imo.

Monsters still works for me because I like the chorus and the outro on their own as well as the verses and bridge. It’s the lack of homogeneity which is a little annoying, similar to the beginning of TWAT or Better.

I learned to live with that, too.

• GNFNR 1

I like the chorus on Monsters, it's a bit jarring at first but it actually works pretty well. GNR albums (aside from UYI II) all have great closing tracks, and I think Monsters is good enough to be an album closer.

Madagascar might have simple, repetitive lyrics but they work for the song. It's not just literally copy/pasting the first half of the song, like Perhaps, The General or Absurd.

I'm listening to a CD playlist now with the 25~ songs we've heard with vocals, just listened to The General again and honestly, there's a good song buried somewhere in there. I would've mixed it completely differently - crank up the orchestral parts and turn the guitars down (at least in the verses). But again with the simple copy/paste vocals, it feels incomplete. For something that was hyped as an epic, with lyrics about such a serious subject, it feels more incomplete than anything else they've released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I like the chorus on Monsters, it's a bit jarring at first but it actually works pretty well. GNR albums (aside from UYI II) all have great closing tracks, and I think Monsters is good enough to be an album closer.

Madagascar might have simple, repetitive lyrics but they work for the song. It's not just literally copy/pasting the first half of the song, like Perhaps, The General or Absurd.

I'm listening to a CD playlist now with the 25~ songs we've heard with vocals, just listened to The General again and honestly, there's a good song buried somewhere in there. I would've mixed it completely differently - crank up the orchestral parts and turn the guitars down (at least in the verses). But again with the simple copy/paste vocals, it feels incomplete. For something that was hyped as an epic, with lyrics about such a serious subject, it feels more incomplete than anything else they've released.

But it wasn’t hyped by Axl or the band. It was hyped by the fanbase, all because of some euphoric statements by Sebastian Bach although nobody knows if he confused songs he heard.

I could imagine the hype is one reason why this song gets treated like it this. It simply can’t live up to the hype

10 hours ago, Free Bird said:

But it wasn’t hyped by Axl or the band. It was hyped by the fanbase, all because of some euphoric statements by Sebastian Bach although nobody knows if he confused songs he heard.

I could imagine the hype is one reason why this song gets treated like it this. It simply can’t live up to the hype

Yea Baz was the only one that talked about it, but we'd heard the orchestration which made it seem like the song would be an 'epic' like the other Beltrami songs...

I don't necessarily agree about not being able to live up to the hype. On one hand the song had become kind of mythical, of course those who were expecting Estranged Pt 2 were bound to be disappointed. But before 2008, Prostitute was probably the most 'mythical' song and it's my favourite CD era track. Monsters lived up to the hype. A good song will be well-received even if it isn't exactly what was expected... The General is a good idea that falls way short of what it could've been.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

On 2/22/2024 at 3:49 PM, evilfacelessturtle said:

It's a bit much, but it also works as a sort of '3rd verse' and is over the top in a very Axl kind of way. Imagine hearing 'I wanna tell you a story' then the quotes end like 3 bars later. The solo underneath is great though, I'd be happy if they cut the quote montage from the live versions...

(It goes without saying, but all of the below are mixes with Bucket and/or Robin and Brain/Josh on drums)

1. Better

2. This I Love

3. Hardschool

4. Soul Monster

5. Zodiac

6. Seven

7. Madagascar

8. Shackler's Revenge

9. Sorry

10. Perhaps

11. Scraped

12. Oh My God

13. If The World

14. Prostitute

15. Tonto

16. Perhaps

17. Monstrocity

18. Silkworms

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

(It goes without saying, but all of the below are mixes with Bucket and/or Robin and Brain/Josh on drums)

1. Better

2. This I Love

3. Hardschool

4. Soul Monster

5. Zodiac

6. Seven

7. Madagascar

8. Shackler's Revenge

9. Sorry

10. Perhaps

11. Scraped

12. Oh My God

13. If The World

14. Prostitute

15. Tonto

16. Perhaps

17. Monstrocity

18. Silkworms

Why are you adding songs you haven't heard? 

• Haha 1
  • PERHAPS 1

Some of my favorite songs:

1. There Was A Time

2. Hard Skool - I don't understand why so many fans have this song ranked so low, I love it so much! Def the best of the village sessions. 

Can listen to these and enjoy anytime anywhere:

3. The General 

4. Catcher in the Rye

5. Chinese Democracy

6. Madagascar

7. Prostitute

8. Oh My God

9. Absurd

10. Better

Don't listen too often but won’t skip if it comes ons:

11. Perhaps

12. Street of Dreams

13. Riad and the Bedouins - Not my favorite, but do think it is over hated within the fandom. 

14. This I Love 

Not my favorite, probably skips over:

15. Sorry

16. If the World

17. IRS

18. Shackler's Revenge

19. Scraped

• 2 weeks later...