2006 tour is the Best Axl has been and ever will be

I been watching youtube videos of the 2006 tour that where proshot and I have to say that Axl had the best tour of his life in 2006!!!

His vocals where very consistent during the whole tour and his physical shape was amazing.

The only time I can think of that he sounded that good was in late 87 and very early 88 he was only missing the rasp back then at the shows I went to.

Yes mickey mouse did happen but it wasn't bad and he had alot of power and he also had the rasp but did not over do it like in the UYI days and the 2010 tour.

Some will say vocally 2010 was better but I think he had way too much rasp, I love how he mixed the clean vocals with the rasp in 2006 it was a perfect fit.

Axl in 2010 was not near as fit as he was in 2006, he was all over the place in 06 not just on the ego ramps.

My only complaint with the 06 lineup was Robin he was very hit and miss live but that was common for him.

Take Download early on that concert looked like it was headed for disaster but they won the crowd over by mid show or so and it looked everyone there was having a blast.

RAR IMHO was one of the best shows of 06. Jungle was just so intense. Also the LA shows are very good.

Here is a video from that show which I think is one of the best live versions of Nightrain.

Edited by bigcountry
  • Like 2

2006 was indeed amazing. As a supporter of nu-GnR - I was so "in your face" excited to hear people psyched comments after the shows. Axl really surprised people back then by doing a huge turn-around compared to 2002 shows. He was in terrific shape and about 50-60lbs lighter than now.

• Like 1

I'd have to nitpick and say that he was more consistent vocally in 2010. I'm not saying he was 'better' but you always got the same voice at the same power throughout every show. In 2006-2007 he was mixing styles up and sometimes you'd get on off song, particularly on the mid-range vocals on Sweet Child.

• Like 2

Only shitty thing about 2006 was Axl's weirdo braids… He was quite fit and trying to make a point back then with his nuGn'R band.

The best show from '06 vocally was definitely the December LA show…just of couple of Axl's brilliant vocals back then.

• Like 1

I saw 2 shows in person in 2006, the first Hammerstein show and then at The Palace later that year. Both shows were bad ass. That show at The Palace holds a special place for me because by then Frank had replaced Brian, so including him and Robin, that was my favorite GN'R line up ever.

Although I really do have a soft spot for the 2002 lineup and specific gigs (Leeds,Boston & MSG) - Gotta admit that 2006 gig in LA Axl was on fire - as I said in a previous thread, his voice was really on it, he owned the stage, probably the best Live version of Better I've heard and was great to watch Robin again :)

axl was looking and sounding great in 2006 but the best ever? every performance from 87-93 is better than any one from 01-14.

No way, there were shows in 2006 and 2010 in which Axl outdid himself. Maybe not better than in 87-91, but definitely better than some shows in 92-93.

What bothered me about the 2006 tour was that it sometimes sounded like Axl's rasp came out of a computer or whatever. Sounded weird sometimes.

Yeah its a tough one between 2006 & 2010. I seen them in 2007 in adelaide and id say it was a on a par with Rock Am Ring 2006 show.

VS

:shrugs:

Edited by Gibbo 27

And yet he was getting plenty of criticism in 2006 for his voice and weight. And Finck was getting dogs abuse. Looking at it now it sounds unfair but then people were comparing the band to the old line-up. If only we knew how bad things would get.

• Like 1

axl was looking and sounding great in 2006 but the best ever? every performance from 87-93 is better than any one from 01-14.

Bit of a blanket statement here, but really not by much.

Even the absolute best he's sounded since the relaunch still does not really touch the old days.

1992-93 is my favorite stuff.

• Like 1

2006 is a direct result of Axl being challenged by Slash again. This time in a more competitive way.

Alright I'm done pulling Slash into this, but it does explain Axl's motivation. He sounded great in 06. Very clear he wanted the album out that year. He had to have a badass voice coach during that time. It's the only explanation for finding the rasp in his voice again. It was effortless also. If you saw the hammerstein shows and the return of this Axl then I'm truly jealous! Sad it only lasted a year and a half but it was great either way.

i don't get the "there's a lot of mickey in 2006"...

There's way more mickey mouse in 2010 than in 2006.

2006 shows were way more consistent than 2010.

2010 tour Axl had a lot of mickey in the start (Leeds and Reading) and in the last shows (Australian Tour).

i don't get the "there's a lot of mickey in 2006"...

There's way more mickey mouse in 2010 than in 2006.

2006 shows were way more consistent than 2010.

2010 tour Axl had a lot of mickey in the start (Leeds and Reading) and in the last shows (Australian Tour).

Sorry can't agree on that one…there were some cringeworthy Axl 'mickey mouse' vocal performances during 2006….namely at RIR (I was there!)...

Edited by trqster

2006 was better than 2010 in every way.

Axl sounded better, looked like a proper rockstar and had more energy.

Also:

Robin Finck.

No DJ Ashba.

I've seen nuGnR about 7 or 8 times since 2002 and Glasgow 2006 was the most intense, electrifying gig I've been to in my life. Leeds 2002 was something special, but his voice wasn't quite there like in 2006.