Axl's Letter to Indonesian President

Again, so when someone says "I don't care about Axl has to say," are they criticizing Axl and his band? What position are they going to defend themselves from? Not giving a shit?

I don't agree with people saying that "Axl should shut the fuck up and release new music," but I don't get nor find the problem with those who simply don't care about it.

if you don't care, why are you here?

You know it's bad when you still argue about this just for the sake of arguing

(or the sake of getting a free pass to bash literally anything Axl related)

same applies for mags

Again, so when someone says "I don't care about Axl has to say," are they criticizing Axl and his band? What position are they going to defend themselves from? Not giving a shit?

I don't agree with people saying that "Axl should shut the fuck up and release new music," but I don't get nor find the problem with those who simply don't care about it.

same applies for mags

I realize this is a bit hypocritical of me to ask at this point, but let's leave that part of the discussion behind. Mags, NT and I hashed it out; let's move on and focus on the topic at hand.

Thanks!

Welcome to Jakarta

We've got drug laws

If you try to smuggle them

You'll get a bullet to the jaw

It is the reason you are paid

So very handsomely

If you choose to take the risk

You might end up on your knees

In Jakarta

Welcome to Jakarta

They will put you on your sha-na-na-na-na-na knees knees

Oh, we're going to watch you bleed

well played

Do you have plans to record this?

I would like to hear it

same applies for mags

I realize this is a bit hypocritical of me to ask at this point, but let's leave that part of the discussion behind. Mags, NT and I hashed it out; let's move on and focus on the topic at hand.

Thanks!

yeah, no problem, but i just saw the thread half an hour ago and just get to that page :lol:

The letter may seem a bit random to us, but like some already said, this must've been something that was close to heart for him. I for one am glad he doesn't only care about animals :P

Have the people who say a letter won't help never heard of Amnesty International? They write letters all the time. I think it's great Axl stood up for his beliefs. Maybe he wrote this specific letter because he knew the Indonesian president is a fan? I don't think for a moment Axl thought his letter alone would save the smugglers, he wasn't trying to be the hero of the day, but there have been reactions and pleas from around the globe. Should they all just shut up? It's very easy to just think: Well, it won't help anyway, and just do nothing. I applaud anyone who stands up against injustice, because it's always easier to just do nothing.

I don't believe Beta or anyone in TB set him up to do this. Really? Why on earth would they do that? I think this is the first long message from Axl I could read and understand without rereading it 10 times, but written by TB? Seriously? I don't know about Beta, but I'm sure Fernando hasn't written all that. I thought it was quite well written, but then again, I'm not a native speaker, of course. To me, it looked okay :shrugs:

As for the drug smugglers, I haven't really followed the case, but I am against the death penalty on principle, I don't think anyone deserves to be executed. To me, it seems very barbaric.

Execution seems harsh for smuggling. It's a victimless crime at point of crime.

Thanks for your opinion, but the law in Indonesia is clear. Don't like that? Stay away from that country. Unbeknownst to some of you, it is really that simple.

Do you know why he was smuggling? I don´t, but it´s possible that he had no choice. The big guys doesnt do the dirty job.

Edited by jettesnel
  • Like 1

Good for you Axl. Let the haters, hate. You felt the need too speak up and did. So many of us just become numb too all the shit in the world. At least you took the time and your name too speak up.

• Like 1

Axl has always felt passionate for the imprisoned. Probably because he spent most of his youth there. Lets recap..

- Wearin The West Memphis 3 t shirt several times. They were fans of GNR

- The whole Chinese Democracy saga. Chinese oppresion, This goes back to the rants at HOB 01, refers too the film Kun Dun.

- slightly less serious, the whole Marius episode last year, executing Giraffes.

- Now this case.

• Like 2

I wonder if one of the reasons why this subject matters so much to Axl is because he's been working on Stay Of Execution. (What ever that is)

Maybe it's where that came from. He does use the those words in the letter.

How long have these people been held for? Is it possible he wrote this letter last year and then registered the trademark? If not I'm guessing those 3 words are just sticking in his head for some reason.

I'll reiterate a point I've made all the way through this thread. Criticisms of Axl are allowed, feel free to say whatever you want. We don't censor opinions here so long as you're not a total dick about it. (ie. posts like "lol Axl" add nothing to the conversation). But if you're going to criticize a man for making an impassioned plea for the lives of people he thinks are worth saving, well, be prepared to defend that position. Debate and discussion is the whole point of this forum. But you are expected to speak respectfully. If proves too difficult a task, then please refrain from posting at all.

QFT.

I've never understood the need to pipe up on a topic you claim to have no interest in. If nothing else, Axl's letter seems to have provided a platform for a lot of people on here to debate the topic at hand. It's not about who said it, but what was said and for those not interested in the topic (myself, for example), you can just move on.

Oh look, a rockstar thinking he can solve the worlds problems, how novel!

How dare he use his fame to raise awareness about an injustice!

Has Axl done anything for the executions in Us? I realy dunno...

Who knows can't say for sure but why does it matter what imaginary boarder he's trying to stop an inexcusable government murder? Plus killing someone for a drug crime is fucked up.. To my knowledge I don't believe the US has done that. At least not in the form of our current execution ritual.

Because as we all know, everyone listens to rockstars! Why all the presidents in the world are just waiting for that call from Paul McCartney to declare world peace. Furthermore, i feel that a man that writes lyrics like 'immigrants and f@ggots, they make no sense to me, they come to our country and think they'll do as they please' is not a man whoose opinion or opinions regarding world politics or issues are worth taking seriously. There was no 'how dare he', i know how he dares, cuz he's an arrogant cunt...the gulf between that and having a point, unfortunately for him, is wide and deep.

A man that wrote a song about people not respecting the way of life of his country should perhaps think twice when taking it upon himself to pontificate to another country about how theirs should be run.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 3

Because as we all know, everyone listens to rockstars! Why all the presidents in the world are just waiting for that call from Paul McCartney to declare world peace. Furthermore, i feel that a man that writes lyrics like 'immigrants and f@ggots, they make no sense to me, they come to our country and think they'll do as they please' is not a man whoose opinion or opinions regarding world politics or issues are worth taking seriously. There was no 'how dare he', i know how he dares, cuz he's an arrogant cunt...the gulf between that and having a point, unfortunately for him, is wide and deep.

A man that wrote a song about people not respecting the way of life of his country should perhaps think twice when taking it upon himself to pontificate to another country about how theirs should be run.

Lenny, get over One in a million. Just a bad song with a catchy chorus. It's not like he is mocking Arsenal in that one. :P

I think his letter is better than doing nothing about it. We all want Axl to get an ak and rescue this prisoners Rambo style.but ain't going to happen.

Pac-man also did an effort, i thought those were from the heart. I'll agree on there's somethings more important right now that those drug dealers but i like to think there's a start.

Lenny, get over One in a million. Just a bad song with a catchy chorus. It's not like he is mocking Arsenal in that one.

Why? The rest of the world has to stand by the shit they say and do, why not Axl Rose? There's nothing to get over becausing point out glaring inconsistencies in a person is not equivalent to a complex, he said it, not me :lol:

• Like 1