Here’s Why I’d Hate A Guns N’ Roses Reunion

If he's responsible, late fees will have to come from Axl's split. I doubt the others will want to pay for that. Wasn't there something about the UYI tour not being as profitable because of so many expenses, including fees?

Edited by Babooshka

This essay is brilliant: http://www.stereogum.com/1844250/heres-why-id-hate-a-guns-n-roses-reunion/franchises/essay/

Particularly these ending paragraphs:

Most disheartening of all, though, is what this reunion would mean for Axl Rose’s legacy: He’d be downgrading from “paranoid, perfectionistic, and tyrannical” to “acquisitive, avaricious, and cynical.” He’d be evolving from “genuine eccentric” to “just another middle-aged musician trading on nostalgia, trying to cash in while cash is still on the table.” He’d be dismissing the goodwill of every fan who dedicated serious time to Chinese Democracy, every fan who heard that spoken-sung Count Chocula accent and wondered, How and why the holy hell did he come up with THAT? After spending more than 11 years and $13 million on Chinese Democracy, he’d be disowning the thing. His magnum opus, disavowed. More than a decade of his life, tossed aside in favor of rehashing songs he co-wrote when he was 23 years old, when Ronald Reagan was in office. He’d be betraying us a little bit, but he’d be betraying himself a whole lot more.

He’d also be shutting the door on those Chinese Democracy sequels. In the case of the remix album, that’s probably a good thing. Nobody wants that. I’m not even sure anybody would release that. But I, for one, was sincerely and eagerly looking forward to hearing the “second half” of Chinese Democracy, irrespective of how the world at large might respond to such a proposition. I mean it! I didn’t expect that album to yield a vast trove of great music, but Axl Rose rarely puts his name on anything that’s not at least pretty good and inherently interesting. Furthermore, the very existence of both those albums — even if they existed chiefly in Axl Rose’s imagination — suggested an artist altogether unmoored from reality, and therefore, an artist guided by an idiosyncratic muse, an artist uninterested in making a profit or pleasing anyone.

Scoff all you like, but those choices require an almost religious-fanatical commitment; a commitment to a deluded worldview, yes, but a commitment that’s all too rare in art today. We need more musicians like batshit Axl Rose: musicians who pursue their vision at any cost, financial or personal. We don’t need more reunion tours: reprehensible cash-grabs that spurn integrity and monetize nostalgia. If caring about music is supposed to mean something — anything — we need at least a handful of unyielding, unreasonable, uncompromising iconoclasts to give it definition, to give us direction. Where do we go? Where do we go now?

I couldn't agree more.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

• Like 1

If he's responsible, late fees will have to come from Axl's split. I doubt the others will want to pay for that. Wasn't there something about the UYI tour not being as profitable because of so many expenses, including fees?

Yes, Slash said he didn't make any money from the UYI tour. After expenses, late fees and Axl's theme parties they didn't take much home.

Izzy also mentioned it as a reason to leave.

Maybe a late show wiped out everyones money?

How many shows was Axl actually late though?

Yes, Slash said he didn't make any money from the UYI tour. After expenses, late fees and Axl's theme parties they didn't take much home.

Izzy also mentioned it as a reason to leave.

Maybe a late show wiped out everyones money?

How many shows was Axl actually late though?

IIRC, the late start times did take a toll. Not only the fines, but having to pay overtime to the crew for the strip down of the set, the whole logistics of the tour being late etc.

This reunion theme is eternal and a bit annoying, although it would be interesting to see it.

Might as well just get it out of the fucking way then. You don't see KISS fans clamoring about a reunion. Cause it already happened. Do it, see what happens, and then at least they have a response to people that bitched for it. Nothing left to do but try, or we'll never stop asking.

• Like 1

The essential argument of it is true, and up until about 2012 or so this was the direction it looked like he was heading in; there was a great mystery and a mythos that I and quite a few other people here were totally fascinated with. We were dying with anticipation, obsessing over the scant details of what was in store for us next. It was great fun to be on here while that lasted, while there was still mystery, intrigue, and excitement.

But pretty much everything from 2012 onward has just been a rehash of shit that's already been done. The mythos has evaporated, the momentum is gone, sure we'd be pleased and probably get excited all over again if Axl announced the next album out the blue tomorrow, but it wouldn't really be a part of what came before. The Chinese Democracy saga was a fantastic, intriguing, and of course frustrating journey, but it came to an end a couple years ago. And it ended with a whimper, not with a bang.

I'm still thinking Axl's going to toss some more music our way at some point before he punches his ticket, and I'm sure that I'll love it, but we all know that Axl's Grand Plan has ended up in a rut.

I haven't gotten cynical or bitter with Axl over this, and I've lost a lot of interest I used to have in this forum because too many people have and it's gotten to be a less pleasant place as a result. But I am disappointed that this is how it played out. I hoped for a lot more. I don't let this disappointment bother me. I have plenty of GNR's music and videos to enjoy, I just focus on that and don't worry too much about the future. If Axl comes out of hibernation again, I'll be thrilled, if new music ever makes it out, I'll be thrilled. Until then though, I just don't let any of it bother me.

• Like 2

The essential argument of it is true, and up until about 2012 or so this was the direction it looked like he was heading in; there was a great mystery and a mythos that I and quite a few other people here were totally fascinated with. We were dying with anticipation, obsessing over the scant details of what was in store for us next. It was great fun to be on here while that lasted, while there was still mystery, intrigue, and excitement.

But pretty much everything from 2012 onward has just been a rehash of shit that's already been done. The mythos has evaporated, the momentum is gone, sure we'd be pleased and probably get excited all over again if Axl announced the next album out the blue tomorrow, but it wouldn't really be a part of what came before. The Chinese Democracy saga was a fantastic, intriguing, and of course frustrating journey, but it came to an end a couple years ago. And it ended with a whimper, not with a bang.

I'm still thinking Axl's going to toss some more music our way at some point before he punches his ticket, and I'm sure that I'll love it, but we all know that Axl's Grand Plan has ended up in a rut.

I haven't gotten cynical or bitter with Axl over this, and I've lost a lot of interest I used to have in this forum because too many people have and it's gotten to be a less pleasant place as a result. But I am disappointed that this is how it played out. I hoped for a lot more. I don't let this disappointment bother me. I have plenty of GNR's music and videos to enjoy, I just focus on that and don't worry too much about the future. If Axl comes out of hibernation again, I'll be thrilled, if new music ever makes it out, I'll be thrilled. Until then though, I just don't let any of it bother me.

Very solid post

This reunion theme is eternal and a bit annoying, although it would be interesting to see it.

Might as well just get it out of the fucking way then. You don't see KISS fans clamoring about a reunion. Cause it already happened. Do it, see what happens, and then at least they have a response to people that bitched for it. Nothing left to do but try, or we'll never stop asking.

Maybe that reason could have played into axl cooling off and accepting Slash again. Some people really wonder and find it incredibly hard to believe that even axl could let things go and move on, and although it is axl and maybe we should take him at his word, he and slash have never spoken these words to each other's faces.

I think they had to face each other eventually and they probably realized through duff mediating that a lot of the reasons that they hated each other for were misconstrued.

The chances of CD2 coming out are slim to none. So many of the people that touched songs from that era are no longer with the band or any where near. It's not as simple as just releasing it. I think there's a lot in the way of legal matters to finish or start on before CD2 is close to release.

Second I think Axl is afraid or nervous when it comes to releasing new material. The reaction from CD probably hurt him, he tried to make a great album and it just never was that. I know there are stories around that Axl's lateness comes from actual stage fright. He just gets really nervous. I can't imagine how he feels about releasing a record that many will say "that is Axl's solo record"

The reunion will be a relief for him. He can finally lean on some of these guys that people legitimately associate with Guns N Roses. It can be their thing and not just his.

The chances of CD2 coming out are slim to none. So many of the people that touched songs from that era are no longer with the band or any where near. It's not as simple as just releasing it. I think there's a lot in the way of legal matters to finish or start on before CD2 is close to release.

Second I think Axl is afraid or nervous when it comes to releasing new material. The reaction from CD probably hurt him, he tried to make a great album and it just never was that. I know there are stories around that Axl's lateness comes from actual stage fright. He just gets really nervous. I can't imagine how he feels about releasing a record that many will say "that is Axl's solo record"

The reunion will be a relief for him. He can finally lean on some of these guys that people legitimately associate with Guns N Roses. It can be their thing and not just his.

You have to wonder if Axl would simply give up on a group of songs that had so much meaning to him. They were all written at the same time as the CD songs and initially Axl wanted to release a masterpiece that would make people forget about the old line up. Initially it was a trilogy. Then it was a double album.

It's hard to think that Axl would throw out the baby with the bath water.

Maybe release an EP for free like the Foo Fighters just did for their fans. Take the best right remaining songs and give them to the fans that have supported Axl for the past 27 years.

Maybe CD2 is shit?

Maybe Axl thinks its shit.

Its a possibility.

But Axl didn´t hint into that direction. He gave answers like "definite maybe" or "looking into that regard very seriously" That doesn´t sound like Axl hates CDII. It sounds like he wants to make another album but for some unknown reason he can´t.

I've thought all along (since the album was released) that the rest of the CD sessions will only officially see the light of day in an anniversary box set.

2028 at the earliest, I'd say. 6-disc 20th anniversary deluxe edition box set. Just in time for when we're all too old to care.

I've thought that too. It will all come out on a GNR Anthology with Sentimental Movie and Crash Diet, Cornshucker.

It just blows my mind that the album is sitting in Axl's hardrive finished. Collecting dust in a warehouse, this album belongs in a museum.

Maybe CD2 is shit?

Its a possibility.

Maybe CD2 is great?

Maybe Axl thinks it's great.

It's a possibility.

It could be great and it could be shit. Anothet possibility is CD2 doesn't exist.

As long as you haven't heard anything of it you can't tell.

BTT: I'd hate a hybrid version of Guns that only reunites for touring.

Axl, Duff, Slash and Izzy is the very least I could accept. Steven or Matt should be on drums. If there's more than one newGuns member except of Axl and Dizzy part of the reunion then it's not worth call it a reunion at all.

If they will release a new record Izzy has to be part of it. If he doesn't want to do a whole world tour ... fuck, then replace him with Gilby or Richard outside of the states but Izzy, Axl, Slash and Duff must be a part of the creative sessions.

Edited by Free Bird

Maybe CD2 is shit?

Its a possibility.

Maybe CD2 is great?

It's a possibility.

It could be great and it could be shit. Anothet possibility is CD2 doesn't exist.

But Axl said it does exist. I don't know that's a fact, but why would he lie about it? he has no reason to do so imo.

Plus, you know... Axl never released a bad album of original material as I see it, so I'm optimistic the quality will satisfy me if it's ever released.

Maybe CD2 is shit?

Its a possibility.

Maybe CD2 is great?

It's a possibility.

But Axl said it does exist. I don't know that's a fact, but why would he lie about it? he has no reason to do so imo.

Plus, you know... Axl never released a bad album of original material as I see it, so I'm optimistic the quality will satisfy me if it's ever released.

And Axl also said "not in this lifetime". I believe some people here take his words a little bit too literal.

And Axl also said "not in this lifetime". I believe some people here take his words a little bit too literal.

The problem with that is he was not the only one who talked about more material.

Why would Bumble lie about him recording his guitars on 30 Chinese songs including what we got? Tommy talked about it as well. Many people inside the band and close to it have talked about it as well.

Classic Rock talked about unreleased songs and reviewed them back in 1999. So many sources. Zutaut talked about a few unreleased songs as well. Why would they all lie?

And in 24 years, is it so hard to believe an artist will accumulate a lot of material? an artist that had the resources and ability to work with the best musicians in the business.

Why would Robin lie in more than 1 interview? no. I just don't buy that.

Edited by Rovim

The problem with that is he was not the only one who talked about more material.

Why would Bumble lie about him recording his guitars on 30 Chinese songs including what we got? Tommy talked about it as well. Many people inside the band and close to it have talked about it as well.

Classic Rock talked about unreleased songs and reviewed them back in 1999. So many sources. Zutaut talked about a few unreleased songs as well. Why would they all lie?

And in 24 years, is it so hard to believe an artist will accumulate a lot of material? an artist that had the resources and ability to work with the best musicians in the business.

Why would Robin lie in more than 1 interview? no. I just don't buy that.

You can prove me wrong but didn't Axl also say he's got three albums full of material? Or was it he sees CD as a trilogy? Why would he do that?

My point is as long as you aren't able to hear any of the stuff you really can't tell. Especially when it comes to Axl because I don't think he as reliable as some people claim he is...

Edited by Free Bird

You can prove me wrong but didn't Axl also say he's got three albums full of material? Or was it he sees CD as a trilogy? Why would he do that?

My point is as long as you aren't able to hear any of the stuff you really can't tell. Especially when it comes to Axl because I don't think he as reliable as some people want to make him.

This comes up every month or so. There is no album. Even if multiple sources have said it does exist, with vocals. Even long ago, when Brian May gave his interview about his time helping Axl out, he said there is more material with vocals.

And yes, Axl talked about a trilogy but maybe he narrowed it down to the best songs and finally decided the Chinese project works best as a double.

Bach said he heard The General, Beltrami worked on Seven. We heard a snippet of Jackie Chan. The list is very long. Zutaut talked about Atlas, Bumble said he recorded a solo for it. All lies?

Technically, we don't know shit. But there are too many different sources that support Axl's claim that the album does exist to ignore.

Edited by Rovim