Frank Ferrer is not a bad musician, the problem is his drum kit tone

I think Frank decision's to use a jazz drum kit is a bad choice, it dont fit with the guns n roses sound.

Frank is a good drummer, but he is playing with a jazz drum kit, this is like slash playing with a stratocaster, it will not fit with the gnr sound.

http://www.frankferrerofficial.com/#!gear/cmtd

DW DRUMS

DW Jazz Series Drums

Silver Sparkle Lacquer over a Black Base finish

Satin Chrome Hardware

www.dwdrums.com

so let's compare the dw's Frank drum kit with the Yamaha Matt Sorum drum kit

Below the same Drum kit Matt sorum used on UYI tour

• Like 1

Does "Jazz" just not refer to the set-up/sizing and not necessarily imply the genre of jazz? I'd say your problem with Frank is more to do with how he tunes them. I really like his drum tonality. His toms are deep and his snare has a nice crack. Sorum's UYI tone had too much reverb and compression. His toms live always sounded incredibly dead. Snare was nice though!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jwalker19 said:

I agree. The tone has annoyed me from the very start. If he could change the kit and slow it down a tad, everything would be perfectly fine.

the same goes to Richard, he is a good guitar player, But I don t like his guitar tone, Richard is more talented/virtuoso than Gilby in my opinion, but Gilby has a better guitar tone.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, comboguns said:

the same goes to Richard, he is a good guitar player, But I don t like his guitar tone, Richard is more talented/virtuoso than Gilby in my opinion, but Gilby has a better guitar tone.

Gilby had a really dry tone. Richard has a different tone to both Izzy and Gilby, it is however quite complimentary to Slash's. I love his lead guitar tone, and the fact that I barely notice his rhythm sound means it's probably pretty good. 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, comboguns said:

I think Frank decision's to use a jazz drum kit is a bad choice, it dont fit with the guns n roses sound.

Frank is a good drummer, but he is playing with a jazz drum kit, this is like slash playing with a stratocaster, it will not fit with the gnr sound.

http://www.frankferrerofficial.com/#!gear/cmtd

DW DRUMS

DW Jazz Series Drums

Silver Sparkle Lacquer over a Black Base finish

Satin Chrome Hardware

www.dwdrums.com

so let's compare the dw's Frank drum kit with the Yamaha Matt Sorum drum kit

Below the same Drum kit Matt sorum used on UYI tour

Wrong. Sorry dude, ferrer plays a dw... its hardly a jazz kit, this dw bass drum is small.. his is a 22x18 minimum.. standard rock bass drum..

Ferrers problem is hit interpretation of the songs.. yeah he can play, but he has a habit of hitting too hard when not required and overplaying the beat at times when it should be kept simple.. too many accent and ghost notes.. technically its great.. but its not needed on gnr songs.. perhaps on a new album with new songs sure...but on the existing songs his accents, ghost notesand hard hitting stand out like dogs balls..

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Frank seems to be doing a better job from what I can hear

I like how you removed that ''searching for adequate drummer'' from your signature ;)

(I hope I haven't mistaken you, I think that was you)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, slaxl stradler said:

Ferrers problem is hit interpretation of the songs.. yeah he can play, but he has a habit of hitting too hard when not required and overplaying the beat at times when it should be kept simple.. too many accent and ghost notes.. technically its great.. but its not needed on gnr songs.. perhaps on a new album with new songs sure...but on the existing songs his accents, ghost notesand hard hitting stand out like dogs balls..

EXACTLY!

• Like 3

Frank is much closer to Adler than Sorum was. I don't mind him mixing up fills, especially since Matt just played literally the same fill on every song he recorded with Guns. Matt's tone was too over the top as well, way too much reverb. He couldn't capture the loose feel that Steven brought. I'd prefer seeing Steven but understand why he's not involved considering what a train wreck he is. Frank does the job.

Edited by BobGuccioneJr
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2016 at 11:57 AM, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

Guitar pro tip: the secret key to that famous Gilby Clarke tone is to turn your Master Volume to the 0 position.

Not sure where people are getting that because you can hear Gilby fine as can be seen is hundreds of videos and bootlegs out there.  The only instance I can think of is Rocket Queen on Live Era where there really is no rhythm track.

Edited by Tom-Ass

16 hours ago, maxpax said:

yup. just not for a super band like gnr.

I agree. He could do so much more but I guess being in GNR couldn't harm his career, right?

Edited by Kenan

My sister (who's a GN'R fan since the 90's) First thing she noticed/complained about when seeing videos of this lineup were the drummer. "what is he doing with the tempo and timing?!"  and many other who's not a die hard fan like me noticed that pretty quick too... 

I don't know but i really don't like Ferrer being in GN'R. I think he would fit alot better in another band...

• Like 2