Axl's best year vocally? Your opinion :)

What year/era represents Axl best vocally?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tough one between 1988 and 1992 but I'd have to give it to the latter simply because he had more control and was being a real show-off with his voice. The best year of the UYI period for his voice, 1991 it was mostly shot, 1993 it had changed drastically from the AFD era thanks to the endless touring.  I find his voice a bit too squeaky and lacking control in the AFD era, so while it was a powerhouse, it wasn't a polished machine (but that's exactly what Appetite was all about anyway so it's perfect in that context). 

Lies was beautiful, probably the only reason I didn't pick it is because we don't have that much studio material to really see how great he sounded in 1988. Bluesy, raspy, low, in control, and his style was his best ever - still a rebellious rocker, but one who has complete certainty in his instrument and who knows he can only get better from there.

His voice had changed way too much for the Live Era and CD Era, so they're a nah for me.

2010 was a wonderful thing for a while, but he obviously didn't have enough control over his voice and it got shot to scarily disasterous levels.

2011-2015 lol 

2016 is great, especially Axl/DC, and he can probably reach 2010 level full time if he takes it slow and preserves his voice. 

Edited by nonok

5 hours ago, nonok said:

Tough one between 1988 and 1992 but I'd have to give it to the latter simply because he had more control and was being a real show-off with his voice. The best year of the UYI period for his voice, 1991 it was mostly shot, 1993 it had changed drastically from the AFD era thanks to the endless touring.  I find his voice a bit too squeaky and lacking control in the AFD era, so while it was a powerhouse, it wasn't a polished machine (but that's exactly what Appetite was all about anyway so it's perfect in that context). 

Lies was beautiful, probably the only reason I didn't pick it is because we don't have that much studio material to really see how great he sounded in 1988. Bluesy, raspy, low, in control, and his style was his best ever - still a rebellious rocker, but one who has complete certainty in his instrument and who knows he can only get better from there.

His voice had changed way too much for the Live Era and CD Era, so they're a nah for me.

2010 was a wonderful thing for a while, but he obviously didn't have enough control over his voice and it got shot to scarily disasterous levels.

2011-2015 lol 

2016 is great, especially Axl/DC, and he can probably reach 2010 level full time if he takes it slow and preserves his voice. 

Is there a way to get back to 2010 shape in voice  ? Everyone says that he lost his mid range vocals, can he return what he had lost ? 

I voted 2002 for the LOL, but now I want to know who's the other one who picked 2002 and if he did it for my same reason. 

EDIT: just found out that if i click on that small icon at the end of each bar i can see who voted what :lol:

Edited by Twinaleblood

It's hard to say because it tended to change within these periods. For example on the Skin N Bones tour in my opinion he sounded bad for the U.S. shows in the spring then got better and he ended up sounding amazing in Europe and Argentina in the summer. In 1992 it was the other way around - started really well, then got worse. 

The best color of his voice was in 1986-1987. In 1988 Axl`s voice was damaged, he said that his voice in Lies was the worst. 1989-1990 he wasn`t in a good shape. 1991 was a hard year for Axl because he rushed his voice to the limits. In 1992 he had some better sounding but it seems too flat for me. In 1993 his voice became too sharp and he lost some size of the voice.1994 - funny thing because if you listen to Come together perfomance you can hear that Axl had a very weak power in voice. Absolutely powerless. IMHO, Live era overdubs are the best Axl perfomance in years. 2000-2002 clean voice was too boring. 2006-2007 era - strong perfomances. 2009 - 2010 too disastrous for his voice. 2011 - 2013 the lowest point of Axl`s voice. Breathloss and powerless are his sisters in that time. 2014 had some great moments but there are too few of them. 2016 seems to be better than 2011-2013.

As for AC-Dc Axl made some great perfomances. Voice is powefull and touches your rock-n-roll soul.

If some have interest in deeper diving through Axl voice i can do some review ( i`m a singer and can give some tips)

• Like 1

From the recordings I've heard I think 1988 was the best year for Axl's voice.

The 90's according to Duff's book were the drug induced years, so I find that depressing and also that's when Axl started showing up late for shows or not at all.

I think 1988 was a great year for all the guys until stardom got the best of them.

On 10/07/2016 at 7:54 PM, SWINGTRADER said:

:lol: 

2010 was good, but nothing close to what it was during his heyday.

Anyone who says 00's has awful taste or needs their ears checked.

Yes, anyone who has a different opinion than you is clearly deaf. 

I thought his voice was really good in '88,' 06 and 2010. His voice in the 90's I honestly didn't like as much, sounded like he had glass In his throat or something. I'm speaking strictly live performances. 

• Like 1